Labor pain

One of the consequences of original sin is having labor pains. Did the Virgin Mary labor pains?

We have no way of knowing. The Holy Spirit has not seen fit to let us know.

While some have made a huge issue of this question, I’d simply remark that while suffering in general comes from original sin, the BVM did plenty of that at the end of our LORD’s human life. So why would she not do so at its beginning?

Bear in mind, however, I am not a priest nor theologian but just an average sinner!

ICXC NIKA.

I always assumed that because Mary was, through God’s grace, sinless, that she did not suffer labor pains.

But, I’m also blonde. :shrug::smiley:

This article may better inform us on this question.
What Did Mary Know?

Even if she didn’t suffer labor pains, pregnancy, postpartum, and nursing can be pretty torturous at times.

Hello chinie19.

You asked:

One of the consequences of original sin is having labor pains. Did the Virgin Mary labor pains?

No labor pains.

She (Mary) brought forth Jesus without any sense of pain. (The Blessed Virgin Mary was preserved from all stain of sin including original sin and thus had no labor pains.)

ROMAN CATECHISM From Eve we are born children of wrath; from Mary we have received Jesus Christ, and through Him are regenerated children of grace. To Eve it was said: In sorrow shalt thou bring forth children. Mary was exempt from this law, for preserving her virginal integrity inviolate she brought forth Jesus the Son of God without experiencing, as we have already said, any sense of pain.

The Roman Catechism (online here among other places) is sometimes also called: The Catechism of the Council of Trent.

The CCC (paragraph 9) has very good things to say about the Roman Catechism (bold mine).

CCC 9 "The ministry of catechesis draws ever fresh energy from the councils. The Council of Trent is a noteworthy example of this. It gave catechesis priority in its constitutions and decrees. It lies at the origin of the Roman Catechism, which is also known by the name of that council and which is a work of the first rank as a summary of Christian teaching. . . ."12 The Council of Trent initiated a remarkable organization of the Church’s catechesis. Thanks to the work of holy bishops and theologians such as St. Peter Canisius, St. Charles Borromeo, St. Turibius of Mongrovejo or St. Robert Bellarmine, it occasioned the publication of numerous catechisms.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.