Lack of Catholic celebrities

Can some of you name catholic celebrities? When I went on Wikipedia and started reading a lot of celebrities bio, I found that most of the celebrities in Hollywood are non believers and Jewish, but the Jewish celebrities were also non belivers themselves. Why do you guys think there is such a Huge percentage of non believers in Hollywood?

I found that Mark Walhberg is the only REAL catholic in Hollywood who goes to daily mass and is open to his faith in public.

Jim Caviezal, the actor who played Jesus in passion of the Christ is also a devout catholic, but said he has a hard time getting roles ever since the movie :frowning:

There is also Lady Gaga who was raised catholic and despite all the things she does in her music videos, she said in a interview on Larry king that she does believe in Jesus ever since she started going to church as a kid.

Entertainment is a mirage. Plastic people living plastic lives in a plastic city. It’s almost impossible to stay true to God when the norm in Hollywood is to sell yourself not only to the public, but to your producer as well. The powers that be in entertainment tend to exclude people with high moral standards for just that reason.

Having said that, there are plenty of celebrities who were raised Catholic or self-identify as such. Whether they still believe or practice the Faith is a different story, but then again, it is impossible for us to know what is in their hearts.

imdb.com/list/E9ZrLD3Bods/

I agree with you.

The link You showed me though needs an update

George clooney said he no longer believes.

The Pope.

Kaka.

:hmmm:

I read where apparantly Paris Hilton goes to Mass every week.
Lady Gaga’s Catholic.
Scott Weiland is Catholic.
and as someone said before, of course The Pope :smiley:

Stephen Colbert

He even did his Ash Wednesday show with the ashes still on his forehead.

Kaka is awesome!:slight_smile:

Thanks for all the post ! More Catholics than I thought.

I would also add Phillip Rivers, quarterback of the San Diego Chargers, and Mark Wahlberg. Both, to my knowledge are very devout. Wahlberg did an interview on Piers Morgan I believe where he stated he went to Church everyday, and Phillip Rivers is very active in promoting chastity and the Catholic lifestyle. I believe there’s some youtube interviews with him about this.

God bless,
Paul

Jim Caviezal is currently playing the main character in Person of Interest. Great show.

Helio Castroneves is Catholic. As far as I know, Dani Pedrosa is too.

edit: Pretty sure Jorge Lorenzo is as well.

There are multitudes of Catholics in the arts, in the sciences, all over. :slight_smile:

There is currently a thread already devoted to this, BTW:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=506971

What about Mark’s brother Donnie Whalberg and Neal Mc Donough. They were both in BAND OF BROTHERS. I heard that McDonough turned down a part because of nudity.

Another reason to watch Mark Wahlberg. Tom Cruise wanted to be a Priest. Rosie O’Donnell was raised Catholic. Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes are Catholic, thank God they got away from TC. I think part of the problem is that Hollywood is so hedonistic that it’s difficult for a devote Catholic to work there.

Isn’t Mel Gibson Catholic?
Remember Two Fat Ladies, anyone? Clarissa and Jennifer are both Catholics, and Jennifer was noted for her piety and devotion, a picture of her hangs in the London Oratory even.
Mother Angelica!

Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen. Both Catholic. (I’d like to see Tom go to mass more often. Especially during the season and playoffs.)

Yes!!! #1 Awesome news, I actually did not know that and #2 A fellow Patriots fan!!!

Martin sheen
JFK and family were
Venessa hudgens
Rese Witherspoon
Mel Gibson
George clooney
Stephan Baldwin
Sonney bono
Bing Crosby
Frank santira

Michael Moore, although he has said he sometimes misses Sunday Mass.

Some current Catholic celebrities that haven’t been mentioned:

Steve Carrell (On playing Noah: “I’m Catholic, born and bred. It’s interesting because that really didn’t come into play when doing the movie. I didn’t decide to do it because I’m Catholic, I just thought it had a nice message.”)

Talk show host Piers Morgan (whose Catholicism often comes out when interviewing atheists, like Ricky Gervais: “I do believe, because I grew up a Catholic and I remain so. But, you know, I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, whatever they may be. The problem for atheists, it must be so doom and gloom. When you get to, like, 70, 80, to think, well, hang on, that’s it. That’s the end of everything.” Or Penn Jillette: “I believe in this superior being, a God. And therefore, the questions which always baffle atheist, the hard reality of life, I believe there is something greater out there, there’s a greater entity, which is a spiritual being that allows comprehension on a scale we could never understand.”)

Ben Stiller, interestingly, considers himself both Jewish (his Jewish dad is Jerry Stiller, who played George Costanza’s dad on “Seinfeld”) and Catholic (his Irish Catholic mom is Anne Meara, also a comedian, who later converted to Judaism.) He says he was raised as both, but his children are baptized and being raised as Catholics, as he is married to a Catholic woman, the actress Christina Taylor.

Robert Downey is another celebrity who seems a little unsure about what faith he follows, as like Stiller he was raised in a mixed-marriage family (Catholic and Jewish) and often identifies with Buddhism, yet said, “I’m not above [religion]. But like Jung said about people using religion to avoid a religious experience, I have managed handily to avoid a religious experience. I don’t know where I fall. Spiritual Green Party? There were times when I was into the whole Hare Krishna thing, which is pretty far out. Now I would call myself a Jew-Bu, a Jewish-Buddhist. But there were many times [in prison] when Catholicism saved my butt.”

Yet another child of a Catholic/Jewish marriage is Lea Michelle, who still identifies with her Jewish roots but who seems to have settled on Catholicism as her faith, and her Jewish father attends Mass with her: “I was raised Catholic, but my father gladly attends church with us.”

Vanessa Hudgens is Catholic.She is often photographed by paparazzi when leaving or going to Mass, and identifies as a Catholic to the media: “I’m a jewellery addict. I love it and could load it on all day. I’m Catholic, so that’s why I have two crosses on.”

Soccer star Didier Drogba seems to be Catholic, as he often makes the sign of the cross after scoring a goal, comes from the traditionally Catholic country of the Ivory Coast, and has worn Christian-themed clothing.

Celine Dion is Catholic, and credits the Church with saving her life, as a priest talked her mother out of aborting her: “[A priest] told [my mother] that she had no right to go against nature. So I have to admit that in a way, I owe my life to that priest.”

Taylor Swift is Catholic.

Kobe Bryant is too, but I’m not trumpeting that fact.

LeBron James is Catholic and attended St. Vincent-St. Mary Catholic High School.

The British actor Robert Pattinson is Catholic. Asked if, as a Method Actor, he had abstained from sex to prepare for his role in “Twilight”, he said that he had but as a Catholic, would be abstaining anyway.

Aaron Neville is hardcore Catholic, ends each album with a hymn, and credits Mary and the Saints with his redemption from drug addiction. He does a beautiful version of “Ave Maria,” if you haven’t heard it.

Johnny Ramone was Catholic.

As previously mentioned, Stephen Colbert is Catholic and teaches Sunday School. He doesn’t care for atheists (“Atheism, a religion dedicated to its own sense of smug superiority.”) and has his own humorous take on ecumenism: (“Though I am a committed Christian , I believe that everyone has the right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Jew or Muslim. I believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior.” “Protestants don’t make me angry as much as disappointed. Unlike the world’s crazy made-up religions, they’re so close to getting it right. They’re a single Pope away from reaching their full potential.”)

Selena Gomez is Catholic: “My family does have Quincenaras, and we go to the communion church. We do everything that’s Catholic, but we don’t really have anything traditional except go to the park and have barbeques on Sundays after church.” She has spoken of wearing a promise ring: “I said, ‘Dad, I want a promise ring.’ He went to the church and got it blessed. He actually used me as an example for other kids. I’m going to keep my promise to myself, to my family and to God.”

The country singer Colin Raye, who has a great CD of Catholic music sold through this very website…

Lots of other practicing Catholics, past and present, in show business as well - Alec Guinness (a convert), Patrick McGoohan, the Baldwins, Anne Bancroft, the Barrymores, Ernest Borgnine, Jimmy Cagney, Sam Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Bing Crosby, Joan Crawford, Mitzi Gaynor, John Ford, Fellini, Clark Gable, Gene Kelly, Helen Hayes, Bob Hope, Casey Kasem, Nicole KIdman, Vivian Leigh, Jack Lemmon, Bill Murray, Bob Newhart (VERY Catholic), Al Pacino, Gregory Peck, Ricardo Montalban, Martin Sheen, Spencer Tracy, and …John Wayne!

That’s not including the many current celebrities who were raised Catholic but now consider themselves into Kabbalah, atheism, Scientology, being “spiritual but not religious,” “a student of all religions,” etc., etc. In Canon Law, they’ll always be Catholic, though. Let’s hope they return someday, and soon.

Is that enough for you, Costner?:rolleyes:

**Here are a few…

Jack Nicholson, Eva Longoria, Kiefer Sutherland, Sly Stallone, Salma Hayek, Sofia Vergara,Danica Patrick, Robert Pattinson, Arnold Swarzenegger, Brooke Shields, Michael Jordan, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Jon Voight, Al Roker, Derek Jeter, Anne Heche, Martin Scorsese, Meg Ryan, Kevin Kline, Gabrielle Union, Alex Rodriguez, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Vin Diesel, Tate Donovan, Antonio Bandaras, Sean Connery, Elijah Wood, Conan O’Brian, Jenny Mc Carthy, Mickey Rourke, Penelope Cruz, Bruce Springsteen, Pat Sajak, and Martin Short. A few famous but not celebs are…
Alito, Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas, Roberts, and Sotomayor on the Supreme Court, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Joe Scarborough, and Cindy Sheehan to name a few.**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.