Lack of N95 respirator masks the fault of Obama administration

The Obama administration was strongly recommended to replete the masks—the advice was not heeded.

By The Political Insider Staff
March 23, 2020

he Obama administration never replenished stocks of N95 respirator masks after the 2009 H1N1 outbreak, leading to the current shortage.

President Donald Trump has come under fire by Democrats and leftists for supposedly not preparing the country for the coronavirus outbreak. “Our hospitals are out of gloves, masks, gowns, respirators, protective shoe coverings and basic supplies,” Representative Maxine Waters (D) tweeted on Sunday. “What the hell more is Trump waiting for? Hey stupid, this is the worst case scenario.”

1 Like

Well, Trump had 3 years to correct that mistake and also did nothing. So it is his baby now.

7 Likes

Hope everyone limbered up for this stretch before reading😛

4 Likes

How pathetic to point to Obama at this point.

1 Like

Sorry but I wouldn’t put replenishment on either POTUS, unless their teams purposefully declined to place the orders (over multiple years). Somebody further down the chain was responsible for the stockpile and failed to get it funded over a period of 10 budget cycles.

More than likely a career bureaucrat failed to ‘get it done’

I would not place the blame on either POTUS, nor on any career bureaucrat. There simply is no blame to place before February of this year. It only looks like it should have been done in retrospect. But I will put the blame on Trump for delaying acknowledgement of the crisis for a month and a half. During that time his administration (not some lower level bureaucrat) should have started ensuring we had supplies 6 weeks earlier than we did. If they did that then we would have plenty of masks locally produced by now.

I heard Trump has a sign on his desk “The buck doesn’t even slow down here.” :grin:

3 Likes

No, sorry. There are people in the government that are tasked with things like strategic stockpiles. Either replacement was proposed and not funded, not proposed, or whatever.

There is always a person or persons.

1 Like

How can we blame someone else( “else” is of course the universal metaphor for anyone but Trump)

1 Like

And on the lag in testing - in the face of his repeated and repeated false statements about testing - he in fact said, " “No, I don’t take responsibility at all”.

I heard Nairobi Trio.

Why you all have been pointing to him and giving him :roll_eyes:credit for the booming economy.

1 Like

The booming economy is only partially due to Obama - mostly because he didn’t screw it up. But it is largely the result of forces beyond his or Trump’s control. Prior to this year, Trump did not really screw up the economy either, even with his trade war with China. The production of stockpiles of N95 respirator masks by contrast is totally under the control of the administration. And if you are going to blame Obama for not doing anything about it after 2009, you also have to blame Trump for not doing anything about it after 2016 when he had the power to do so.

1 Like

I’m not blaming anyone merely commenting on a post.At this point I’m so over the petty finger pointing etc.Meanwhile Trumps approval ratings keep going up soooo,draw from that whatever could clusion you want. It seems majority appreciate him and his hard work for all of us :us:

1 Like

As opposed to nobody but Trump is always to blame?:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

As a person on call 24/7, my response is how do I fix it.now. I’ll place blame later.

1 Like

What? Don’t you get tired of Trump the victim?

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.