Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Johnny Cash

Just heard for the first time in a while, the song "Sunday Morning Coming Down" by Johnny Cash (actually I think someone else originated that one) which used to really resonate with me during a lonelier time in my life. And the day before I saw a PBS special on John Denver where they showed a clip of a duet with Johnny Cash, I think it was "Country Roads Take Me Home", which those two voices didn't really blend very well except for a few notes where they were perfect together.. Which reminds me then of the Johnny Cash/Bob Dylan duet of "Girl From the North Country Fair" on the "Nashville Skyline" album. And recently with Peter Falk dying, reminded me of the episode of Colombo where Johnny Cash plays a country singer who does away with his wife by bailing out of an airplane and letting it crash with her in it. Anyway... Johnny Cash. I think he is underrated.

Any favorite songs? The other one that comes to mind is "Long Black Veil". Which again I think is someone else's song. And of course "Ring of Fire", which at the age of 5 I declared to be my favorite song.

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:1, topic:246129"]
Just heard for the first time in a while, the song "Sunday Morning Coming Down" by Johnny Cash (actually I think someone else originated that one) which used to really resonate with me during a lonelier time in my life. And the day before I saw a PBS special on John Denver where they showed a clip of a duet with Johnny Cash, I think it was "Country Roads Take Me Home", which those two voices didn't really blend very well except for a few notes where they were perfect together.. Which reminds me then of the Johnny Cash/Bob Dylan duet of "Girl From the North Country Fair" on the "Nashville Skyline" album. And recently with Peter Falk dying, reminded me of the episode of Colombo where Johnny Cash plays a country singer who does away with his wife by bailing out of an airplane and letting it crash with her in it. Anyway... Johnny Cash. I think he is underrated.

Any favorite songs? The other one that comes to mind is "Long Black Veil". Which again I think is someone else's song. And of course "Ring of Fire", which at the age of 5 I declared to be my favorite song.

[/quote]

I recall him doing a two record album on the New Testiment called the Gospel Road. It was later made into a short movie.

God Bless

Johnny Cash is not under-rated, except by those who totally dismiss country music.

Cash is in both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock Music Hall of Fame. He has a huge list of awards and honors, as well as a huge list of hits in both the rock and country genres.

I think my favorite performance by Johnny Cash took place when the Statue of Liberty was re-dedicated back in the 1980s. He, June Carter Cash, and Willie Nelson sang, and it was gorgeous.

Cash was created by God to tell stories with his voice–his voice was so resonant and dramatic. If the United States could talk, it would sound like Johnny Cash.

Johnny Cash was one of the first country singers that I listened to back when I was a teenager, mainly because of his television show. It was a great show–lots of fun!

I love “Ghost Riders in the Sky” and “Ring of Fire.”

I also love a song called “Far Side Banks of Jordan”–this song is so touching.

And of course, I love “Walk the Line” and “Folsom Prison Blues.”

It’s neat how the older Johnny Cash songs are still good. Often, an artists’ older songs are kind of embarrassing. But Cash songs are so good and still timely.

But my favorite album by Johnny Cash is “Unchained.” This album is one of the last albums he recorded, and is unique because it’s just him (in his old age) and a guitar. No backup, no band. Very raw music. Deep, feeling-filled songs. It’s magnificent. I don’t listen to a lot of recorded music, but I listen to this one often. :“Southern Accents” makes me cry, because it reminds me of North Carolina and the ten years that we lived there.

His voice actually got better as he got older.

RIP. I miss him. I have hopes that Scotty McCreery will be able to eventually fill the gaping hole that Johnny Cash left. McCreery certainly has the resonant voice and the ability to tell stories. The only thing McCreery lacks is the miserable childhood of poverty.

I love the Man in Black.

I’m pretty sure Kris Kristofferson–yes, the same guy who was an actor–wrote Sunday Mornin’ Coming Down.

As for favorites, well, I love Fulsom Prison Blues, Understand Your Man, I Still Miss Someone and Jackson with his wife June Carter Cash.

When I say underrated… I have heard critics comment (criticize, if you will) on his vocal range and such. He may not have been the most gifted musician. But he more than made up for it in style and was a big hit with audiences, as evidenced by, for example, all the honors.

As for Kris Kristofferson - interesting, the other song of his I know is also more famous because of a cover version, that being “Me and Bobby McGee”. But in that case I think Kristofferson’s version is superior. I’ll have to look up his version of “Sunday Morning Coming Down”, see how it compares to Johnny Cash’s.

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:1, topic:246129"]

[/quote]

Social Distortion's version is "Ring of Fire" is better than the original.

Johnny Cash's version of "Ain't No Grave" (released posthumously last year) is better than the original.

And I was going to say has a better version of "Personal Jesus," but that was before I heard the new Depeche Mode remixes album. So, that one's technically a toss-up, IMHO. :)

I will always be partial to Riders In The Sky.

I’ve only recently become acquainted with Cash’s music through the fantastic film ‘Walk the Line’ (Phoenix and Witherspoon are dynamite in those roles!). Since watching it I have managed to buy a copy of the box-set ‘Unearthed’ and it features some of the most inspiring music I have ever heard. Considering I’m not at all knowledgeable about guitar-based music (I’m a classical music and jazz snob :p), this has really surprised me!

My favorite actor, Robert Patrick, did a great job in this movie! He played Johnny Cash’s mean father. Before he did the film, he and his family drove all over the South to visit the places where Johnny Cash lived.

Did you know that this movie came about because of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?

Johnny and June were regular guests on DQ, playing recurrent characters (she was a travelling preacher, and he was a gunslinger). Jane Seymour and her husband got to know them, and there was talk of doing a film about their lives. All of them started working on it way back then, and Johnny and June were involved in the layout of the screenplay.

I think that’s cool!

Some favorite religious songs of Johnny Cash's - [LIST]
"Redemption" (From his 1st "American Songs" album)
"The Fourth Man in the Fire"
"For You" (from the Blackhawk Down soundtrack)

I also like the song “Suppertime”. It might seem kind of cheesy by today’s standards. But it always brings a tear to my eye.

I've always liked Johnny Cash

First Country Album I bought in the early 1970's was At Folsom Prison live album by Johnny Cash, released on Columbia Records in May 1968.

Loved the whole album. One of my favorite track songs was The Orange Blossom Special youtube.com/watch?v=_KeCtIn6NA4&feature=related

Got to change Harmonica's faster than kiss a duck

Available on Vinyl, 8-Track or cassette

well country is not my fave and I am not a Cash fan but being from Detroit I have to put in a good word for the Cadillac song

Which Artist?

Cadillac Songs cadillacsongs.blogspot.com/

[quote="centurionguard, post:14, topic:246129"]
Which Artist?

[/quote]

Probably *One Piece at a Time. *

Good One youtube.com/watch?v=sIuo0KIqD_E

It was a 49' 50' 51', '52' etc.

Old Country is good.
I know nothing about new Country :D

Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank Willaims, Marty Robbins, Roger Miller is all glorious stuff:)

[quote="YankeeRC, post:17, topic:246129"]
It was a 49' 50' 51', '52' etc.

Old Country is good.
I know nothing about new Country :D

Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank Willaims, Marty Robbins, Roger Miller is all glorious stuff:)

[/quote]

Some new country is good. That's what I love about country music--there's room for variety.

Like I said earlier, I have high hopes for Scotty McCreery. He seems very old-school traditional country.

Some of my favorite Johnny Cash tunes:

Fun:
-Boy Named Sue
-One Piece at a Time

Serious:
-I Hung My Head (just an absolutely haunting tune, and probably the best example of how Johnny Cash's voice alone is a superstar)
-Man in Black
-When the Man Comes Around

[quote="Muttonchops88, post:19, topic:246129"]
Some of my favorite Johnny Cash tunes:

Fun:
-Boy Named Sue
-One Piece at a Time

Serious:
-I Hung My Head (just an absolutely haunting tune, and probably the best example of how Johnny Cash's voice alone is a superstar)
-Man in Black
-When the Man Comes Around

[/quote]

"When the Man Comes Around" is awesome. So is "Hurt."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.