Ladies and Gentlemen

A current CAF thread reads: "Can two females …?.
Is there any need for so much BIOLOGICAL language; eg “pregnant female/woman”? Why not “expectant mother”?
Instead of female/females and male/males, whats wrong with lady/ladies, woman/women, and man/men, gent/gents and gentleman/gentlemen? i know the biological words cant always be avoided, but in most cases, they can be.
Author/authress. actor/actress, mediator/mediatrix: what`s wrong with the feminine versions?

Are we referring to ourselves and others as “things”, rather than as human beings? i can`t help feeling that a lot of the lack of respect between the sexes is due to these words: what lady likes being called a “female”?

Another grouch: why are ladies so often referred to by their surnames only? Mrs, Miss and Ms are OK and civilized. We need to have a lot more respect for Womanhood.
We ought to recapture the Age of Chivalry, and to hell with radical feminism and any other evil thats tearing us apart. While were at it, let`s cut back on the use of “inclusive language”.

Appropriate clothing…already been thrashed out…ad infinitum.

There`s another thread: “Eliminating Profanity problems”. This is a spin off from that thread.

Must be getting old…mumble mumble…

You make some good points. I agree with you.

Is there any need for so much BIOLOGICAL language; eg “pregnant female/woman”? Why not “expectant mother”?
Instead of female/females and male/males, whats wrong with lady/ladies, woman/women, and man/men, gent/gents and gentleman/gentlemen? i know the biological words cant always be avoided, but in most cases, they can be.

Hm. I don’t really notice too much in the way of “biological language” vs. non-biological language when it comes to men/women. I would think that if one is saying “can two females,” one would mean, “two females of any age, from childhood through elderly,” thus eliminating the need for one to specify the age of the ladies in question.

Are we referring to ourselves and others as “things”, rather than as human beings? i can`t help feeling that a lot of the lack of respect between the sexes is due to these words: what lady likes being called a “female”?

“Female” being the clinically more correct term, I’d find that far less offensive than, “Ms.” Actually, any term for a woman can be abused to make it “politically correct.” I wonder if there are still groups out there who are calling us “wimmin” and “wymyn,” and don’t forget “wymon.” Anything to get away from the word “man” in our title, to separate us from our brothers. “Female” is at least still accepted (I haven’t seen anyone pushing to change the spellling to something like “femyle” yet, at any rate) and still notes out special relationship to our brothers by leaveing “male” in there.

Another grouch: why are ladies so often referred to by their surnames only? Mrs, Miss and Ms are OK and civilized. We need to have a lot more respect for Womanhood.

I’m from the south, Ma’am. Houston, Texas, to be specific. Down here, “Ms. Linda” and “Miss Holly” are considered appropriate ways of addressing people, except in the academic life, where one is Miss Smith or Ms. Hamilton. I haven’t really had a lot of experience with people refering to one by one’s surname only, not even men.

Juist my two cents.

People do not want to constantly be in fights. We have to watch we see all the time. It is ironic that we are meant to be in the most open and free society in the history of mankind with set in stone rights written on paper for all to see yet we cannot use the rights given to us that we claim to believe in because of societal pressure. People go for the terms that are acceptable to use that wont cause anyone to be offended. People in general get offended simply to have something to whine about. Women are notorious for this stereotypically but men do it too. Often times the most complaints about political incorrectness comes from people with no relation to the group that may or may not even feel offended by such terms. I remember a few months ago that an NBA TV announcer for the LA Clippers was suspended because a viewer was offended by the way the announcer pronounced the name of the home country of a player from Iran, he pronounced it Eye-ran instead if ear-on. That is the level of sensitivity that people have today towards terms. It is no surprise that people look for as many neutral words as possible. Nobody wants the trouble or stigma that comes with being politically incorrect. In this sense there is much more freedom in nations that do not have constitutions like we have in western nations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.