Ladies, what would your thoughts be if you learned this about the man you're dating?

This is something that’s been bugging me for a while. So ladies, what would your thoughts be if you learned that the man you’re dating is a recent MBA who’s now working in corporate marketing for a Fortune 100 company?

Does that have positive or negative connotations for you? Or does it not really matter. I’ve found that most Catholic women I’ve dated are not exposed to the corporate culture, and tend to be in professions that are more altruistic, like teaching, social justice, or a church-related field. Am I correct to assume that people in those professions do not usually hold corporate suits in high regard? And being in marketing automatically makes you a smooth talker? What kind of things would you have in common? Should I just go for someone who’s also in corporate? But I haven’t met that many practicing Catholic women in corporate at all, which is probably more telling than anything.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It wouldn’t matter either way.
I’m a female that works in the corporate world.

It’s not what you do for a living that matters, it’s how you do your living. I’d want to know more about that last part.

I wouldn’t care if you were a starving artist, or a millionaire. I care more about heart, personality, etc.

I would think that he is a hard worker and probably a good potential provider for a future wife and children. There is nothing wrong with marketing. You should go for a good man who lives and practices his faith and let him worry about his career.

It’s good to know that you don’t have preconceived notions about how I make a living. That said, that hasn’t been my experience with some of the women I’ve dated, hence my posting on here.

Same here.:thumbsup:

I agree.

If this man was working for a morally questionable company, that might reflect on his character and then become an issue. But just working in the corporate world? Definitely not anything wrong in itself.

To be honest, I find your post completely odd.

An MBA working for a Fortune 100 company says “marriage material” to me. Responsible, successful, smart, professional.

My husband and I both have MBAs and I am a senior level manager, he is self employed.

I don’t know where you are meeting women.

Man here.

My advice – don’t think too hard! Never hurts to marry well. :smiley:

I agree with that too.

Working for a Fortune 100/any respectable job demonstrates a basic level of character. Someone generally wouldn’t be holding that job if they weren’t trustworthy, responsible, dedicated…all good qualities in a future spouse.

I think Julia Mae makes a good point. How important is your faith to you and how are you living it? Are you kind and ethical in your treatment of others at home and at work? And then there’s that letter from saint Paul-…husbands.love your wives as Christ loves his church-that’s a pretty big commitment.
Also, you may not want to marry a woman who has chosen you on the basis of whether you work at a fortune 100, or 500 etc company. That is not much of a basis for marriage and jobs /wealth can be awfully transient. What about her faith? You might prefer a wife who has thought through the "in sickness or in health part of the vow. Women are still, on average, outliving men so a wife who understands (as you do) that marriage means being prepared to care for each other when Alzheimers hits, or Parkinson’s or… It’s a vocation.:thumbsup:

I’ll try to give a different perspective. I don’t think working in the corporate world necessarily has a negative connotation, but there can be a tendency to be in the corporate world for its potential, significant material gains. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. It all depends on why a person has entered/stayed in the corporate world and/or what he/she wishes to get out of it. Is he/she looking for financial security? Means to provide for a future family? Does the person see his/her job as an opportunity to help others? make a difference?

Or is it for the power he/she can one day have as he/she works his/her way up the corporate ladder? Is it the ability to make boatloads of money so he/she can acquire material things like expensive/status cars? Etc. etc.

So Christ once freed this man from demonic possesion. As Christ and the disciples left, the man tried to get in the boat to follow them. Christ told him that his job was to stay and tell others what He had done for him. This is the vocation of some - to carry Christ’s message into the Secular world through their actions and their living.

That he’s a hard worker who takes his profession seriously - and will probably be a good provider for his wife and family.

I’m an artist, but I like to keep my excitement on the surface of the canvas - it’s perfectly okay for the man of the house to be boring and predictable. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what your experience has been, but very possibly it isn’t your career that is turning them off. They just might find that a more convenient excuse than: I don’t like you very much. I must confess, I’m curious how you get to know a woman well enough to ask her out, who doesn’t already know what you do for a living?

As is usually the case, it’s a combination of things. But some things are extensions of your profession, for instance, the type of people you interact with on a daily basis, the type of training you go through, lifestyle differences, etc. Honestly, I didn’t know there were so many differences, but I’ve come to realize that there are.

I think it’s easy to say that a person’s profession doesn’t matter, but in reality, if you spend 8+ hours every day somewhere, it’s bound to become a huge part of your life and of who you are as a person.

That’s a good point.

OP: Perhaps the problem is that the women sense that you are rushing things? You are getting into steady dating before you know very much about each other?

It wouldn’t bother me. In fact I would be glad because if we marry, then our family would be provided for. When you are living in poverty, you are happy for anything you can get. Not that a rich man would ever date a woman in poverty but I can dream can I?

I would not consider myself rich by any means, except for my family and friends who do enrich my life. That said, why should your economic condition come into consideration? If you have a beautiful and faithful heart, I think any good Catholic man would be lucky to have you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.