I have a personal interest in this. I find all the Catholic women I know (bar one) are really excited that I’m considering religious life, even the ones who have admitted to being attracted to me. Only problem is, I’m nowhere near as excited as them. I worry that, now I’ve told someone I’m discerning, it’s already become a road of no-return.
I had intended to post a poll, but there was an error with the thread. FYI, the poll options I was considering were:
- I would be happy to marry an ex-priest or ex-seminarian, he clearly takes his faith and fatherhood seriously.
- A man who has walked away from discerning the priesthood has clearly discerned positively that marriage is for him, I’d see that he takes his faith and vocation seriously.
- I would be happy to marry an ex-seminarian, but not an ex-priest, how could I trust that he takes vows seriously?
- A man who has walked away from discerning the priesthood isn’t perfect, but we all need to forgive.
- I would not be able to trust that a man who has walked away from discerning the priesthood wouldn’t feel the ‘call’ again and then walk away from me, he doesn’t know his own mind.
- A man who has walked away from discerning the priesthood has walked away from God’s highest calling, he doesn’t take his faith seriously, I couldn’t marry him.
These are just the thoughts off the top of my head. Maybe women don’t think any of these thoughts about an ex-priest, seminarian or discerner. Let me know what you think.