Lady Gaga Defies Critics in Philippines

Despite the protests of conservative Christians and warnings by state censors, Lady Gaga declared “I’m not a creature of your government, Manila”.

She then belted out her controversial song “Judas”, which her Filipino critics have labelled as blasphemous.

The audience tweeted photos of the US pop phenomenon wearing a full-length yellow dress inspired by Philippine national costume as she and a dance crew gyrated for the song “Born This Way” - a gay anthem.

The city government had earlier warned that her second show tonight could be banned if the censors among the audience monitored any hints of blasphemy, devil worship, nudity or lewd conduct.

Up to 40,000 fans in the Catholic-majority nation paid as much as 15,840 pesos ($372) each to watch the US singer.

Her world tour, “The Born This Way Ball”, has been dogged by controversy in Asia, with an upcoming concert in Muslim-majority Indonesia cancelled on police orders for fear of violence from religious hardliners.

In the Philippines, Catholic leader Archbishop Ramon Arguelles urged the public to boycott her two concerts. “Her fans are in danger of falling into the clutches of Satan,” he told reporters.

Former Manila mayor Lito Atienza, one of those calling for a concert ban, said he was opposed to the song “Judas”.

“We respect freedom of expression in this country. We also appreciate art and culture… but the laws should be respected,” he said.

But officials in the Manila district of Pasay allowed the show to go on last night at the Arena, a new, oblong theatre built in Pasay by the country’s richest man, Henry Sy of the SM shopping mall chain.

About 100 “little monsters” - the name given to Lady Gaga’s devoted followers - had lined up hours before the show, sporting her signature outrageous clothing, hairstyle and makeup.

A group of about 500 Christian activists tried to march on the Arena, singing religious songs while carrying placards saying “Stop Lady Gaga, the mother monster”.

However riot police stopped them about one kilometre away.

Local authorities earlier said they had worked out a deal to permit the show while addressing the clamour by Christian conservatives.

Censors were in the audience to monitor possible violations of a law against “immoral doctrines, obscene publications and exhibitions and indecent shows”, said Glenn Agranzamendez, secretary to Pasay mayor Tony Calixto.

Christian groups have vowed to send their own monitors and warned they could sue Lady Gaga under a law that penalises taking part or sponsoring “indecent shows” with prison terms of up to six years.

Lady Gaga’s concert in Indonesia was banned after Muslim groups vowed to start a violent protest,if she was granted permission to perform in the country.

Meanwhile, anti-Catholics are using Lady Gaga as an excuse to shove bigotry.
Look, Lady Gaga’s latest songs are objectionable due to the content and shoving her political beliefs down the people’s throats. At least “Bad Romance” was somewhat decent. But no, we have “Judas” and “Born This Way”. This is one of the reasons why I prefer J-pop!

Notice that the show in Indonesia was cancelled. Say what you want about Islam, and there is a lot to say, but they are willing to stand up for what they believe in albeit in an often extreme manner. The main problem is that if she had no fans in the Phillipines she wouldn’t come there!

Notice that the show in Indonesia was cancelled. Say what you want about Islam, and there is a lot to say, but they are willing to stand up for what they believe in albeit in an often extreme manner. The main problem is that if she had no fans in the Phillipines she wouldn’t come there

I agree with that, Secular culture attacks Christianity mostly because they know the worst they’ll get is a few angry letters that they’ll probably use as a bonfire. I’m starting to appreciate that Islam can at least keep secularists from making them a constant target though as you mentioned it does have the problem of requiring extremism to be part of the issue.

As for Gaga, shame on her for joining in the seemingly national attempt to destroy the last bastion of Catholicism that is in the Philippines. Everyone seems to make it their business to destroy any place that’s still is willing to hold on to their spiritual integrity.

“I’m not a creature of your government, Manila”.

What the heck does that mean?

Was she insulting her own audience(more than usual)? It appears to me she just called them “creatures” by association(as she appeared to use it in place of “Citizen” to me)?

It’s like she was saying “I’m here, but I don’t really want to be here… as I won’t follow your laws”

Weird.

In my experience, tempting a host government to fine, ban you or even lock you up is a bad idea for an “artist”.

Yes, that’s what I thought too…

I was out with my fellow Knights the other night and it was Karoke and actually read some of her lyrics they were disgusting give me Donna or Whitney any day

How condescending of her. Then again, she’s going for shock content ad nauseam.

That’s almost a month’s salary (for the average Filipino worker) according to figures I just looked up. She’s sick in more ways than one. :frowning:

It is sickening, and an insult to my people’s culture.
And then, there’s this:
lifesitenews.com/news/taxpayers-to-pay-3-million-to-promote-worldwide-homosexual-advocacy-lady-ga
Seriously, the Obama Administration is supporting Lady Gaga’s idiocies.

She’s sick in more ways than one.

Let the guilt fall where it belongs. Besides targetting the Philippines for being one of the last Catholic nations, there is the fact that she wouldn’t be there if there wasn’t money to be made.

No one has forced these people to attend the show, and if there are consequences for choosing such sinful choices in luxury then that is the fault of the viewer not the singer.

I believe I must come to Gaga’s defense here. Her music, though hyper-sexual and often promoting homosexuality and alternative lifestyles is rooted deeply in Catholic iconography. One need only study her video for “Judas” for a moment before one realizes it is actually not blasphemous, but rather a song about a sinner torn between heaven and hell. She says, “Jesus is my virtue / Judas is the demon I cling to.” That sounds a lot like, “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is week.”

Might I remind some that perhaps the greatest Catholic writer of the 20th century, Flannery O’Connor, used gruesome violence visited on morally depraved characters to tell her stories. St. Theresa of Avila once experienced a mystical vision in which and angel stabbed her repeatedly through the heart, and the experience was both ecstatic and painful. One cannot help but see the sexual connotations of the vision. So, though Gaga has gone astray in her faith, I feel it is safe to say she draws on a rich background, and therefore her performances should be seen as an object of fascination, rather than reproach.

I don’t know.

I actually am ashamed of my own bishops for being so outspoken and much more the Christian groups. The secular influence in this country will not be remedied through this, believe me. I say this as one who’s family is already entrenched in it.

On the other hand, Gaga’s music drives me up the wall. I’d quote that YouTube Epic Rap Battles of History which featured her but I’ll just say this instead. That woman sounds like a tone-deaf turkey.

I believe I must come to Gaga’s defense here. Her music, though hyper-sexual and often promoting homosexuality and alternative lifestyles is rooted deeply in Catholic iconography. One need only study her video for “Judas” for a moment before one realizes it is actually not blasphemous, but rather a song about a sinner torn between heaven and hell. She says, “Jesus is my virtue / Judas is the demon I cling to.” That sounds a lot like, “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is week.”

Might I remind some that perhaps the greatest Catholic writer of the 20th century, Flannery O’Connor, used gruesome violence visited on morally depraved characters to tell her stories. St. Theresa of Avila once experienced a mystical vision in which and angel stabbed her repeatedly through the heart, and the experience was both ecstatic and painful. One cannot help but see the sexual connotations of the vision. So, though Gaga has gone astray in her faith, I feel it is safe to say she draws on a rich background, and therefore her performances should be seen as an object of fascination, rather than reproach.

And I’m sure I could find some genuine Christian themes in Jack Chick’s tracts; that doesn’t mean I don’t want that hateful anti-Catholic to be run out of business for promoting such hate. Same goes for Gaga, even if you find some good in the lyrics that doesn’t change that she’s someone who wants to stir up gays to be proud to fornicate with whomever they want, and to start shouting against their homeland for “oppressing” them for so long.

I’m not sure which Christian themes you could find in a Jack Chick tract. Nevertheless, I don’t think reading a Chick Tract will cause you to “fall into the clutches of Satan” as one of Gaga’s opponents claimed of her concert.

I just hate all that music that is part of the modern commercial/social networking/reality tv/Oprah age.:mad:
I especially loathe hip hop and yes, artists like Lady Ga Ga, Pink et al.
And don’t get me started on Madonna…

I’m glad I now live in a country where you can live in a bubble. When I was in the Philippines, music like this would be unavoidable and it would be everywhere. But here in Vancouver, I just keep my radio locked on my favorite Rock station and not one Lady Gaga song. :thumbsup:

Mainstream Western pop music loves to go for shock content. The problem with that on the musical level is that once shock content goes on for a certain number of times, it would bore people.

Exactly.:slight_smile:

It would be interesting if “Epic Rap Battles of History” had Michael Voris vs Saul Alinsky.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.