Lady Gaga's "Judas"

I haven’t fully heard the song (and intend not to), but from the clips I have heard it seems almost satanic and blasphemic to the Church. And from the few clips I’ve seen from the music video (clips were shown on TV), it seems that she is almost poking fun at Jesus’ death (I don’t know, I looked away almost instantly)

Plus, as someone told me, she’s dressed up as Mary Magdoline (I don’t know though, I won’t watch the video :slight_smile: ). Also, that same person told me it came out on the beginning of Holy Week. By the way, that person is also afraid to listen to that song. Thank goodness.

I mean, just why? Why? WHY? :shrug: And now it’s played on the radio?! Is it the grave matter for others to listen to it? The Church would’ve banned it if it was, right?

Is it sinful to buy some of her other songs, now, too? I bought her hit from a while ago “Just Dance” (that doesn’t contain any bad messages from what I understand :slight_smile: ), so I hope not.

The old Lady Gaga is different from who she is now. :frowning:

EDIT 1: reworderd and added some things.

Yea, I haven’t watched the video or listened to the song, due to what you have mentioned. It’s kind of a shame she has turned out this way-I do think she has talent, and have enjoyed listening to her previous work. But I don’t think I’ll be supporting her from now on…

I certainly wouldn’t call it Satanic, it is just… strange and potentially offensive to some.

Anyway outside of not really having a great message the music and beat itself are pretty bad. It essentially takes the same exact beat as one of her earlier songs and changes it slightly so that it becomes less catchy. Also, a good portion of the lyrics are just her babbling. Even most of the fans I have heard from think it is a huge drop in quality and that it is just an attempt to get by purely by being controversial.

I agree-I wouldn’t call it Satanic either. I just find it sad that she has to resort to controversy to get by-it’s not like people were forgetting her. She’s been around only 3 years or so…I’m not sure what she’s thinking. Controversy is one thing, but like I said, I think she’s pretty talented. Oh well…and I think she was raised Catholic too…sad to see another of God’s children fallen away…

Actually, I’m pretty sure it’s a song about temptation - how a lot of girls are attracted to the “bad boy” even though they know he’s not right for them. I really don’t think she means to take a stance either way about Christianity. She’s just using Christian themes to describe an experience in a poetic way. I find absolutely nothing offensive, immoral, or controversial about this particular song.

From metrolyrics.com:
“I wanna love you,
But something’s pulling me away from you
Jesus is my virtue,
Judas is the demon I cling to”

1 Like

I researched a little on the topic, and according to a website and a youtube video, the song played backwards reveals subliminal messages (one notable one: "I lead the gays. I lead the gays." or something like that.) I don't know how credible that is though, as I still will not listen to it. Even backwards.

I saw it, and it is much better than a lot of the garbage out there, primarily because the whole song was not about exulting fornication and contraceptive sex as most pop music videos now do. There were a few scenes where she was dressed very immodestly, and those could’ve been cut without any loss. See this analysis of the video.

Yes, there was a scene where she washes Jesus’ character’s feet.

I thought it came out on Easter.

The lyrics are not that bad; the conservative Catholic author Steve Kellmeyer gives them a good analysis. E.g., how often do you hear the phrase “Jesus is my virtue” in most pop music today?

It is definitely sinful to support pro-homosexual and pro-abortion people and companies, which Lady Gaga et al. unfortunately are.

How so?

I like this much better: Lady Gaga Fugue
I look forward to the day young women like the relatively famous violinist Hilary Hahn are the “pop” stars of whole culture.

From the Catholic Anti-defamation League
(my emphasis):

http://www.catholicleague.org/images/4_h_2.jpg         Friday May 6, 2011                             LADY GAGA "JUDAS" VIDEO IS A **MESS **

May 5, 2011

Catholic League president Bill Donohue had an opportunity to preview Lady Gaga’s “Judas” video. Here are his thoughts:

In her “Judas” video, Lady Gaga plays fast and loose with Catholic iconography, and generates several untoward statements, but she typically dances on the line without going over it. Perhaps that is because the video is a mess. Incoherent, it leaves the viewer more perplexed than moved. The faux-baptismal scene is a curious inclusion, as is her apparent fondness for the Jesus character. But if anyone thinks the Catholic League is going to go ballistic over Lady Gaga’s latest contribution, they haven’t a clue about what really constitutes anti-Catholicism.

A mess it is for sure. The last statement is very true, too.

And from the few clips I’ve seen from the music video (clips were shown on TV), it seems that she is almost poking fun at Jesus’ death (I don’t know, I looked away almost instantly)…

Plus, as someone told me, she’s dressed up as Mary Magdoline (I don’t know though, I won’t watch the video.)

*I mean, just why? Why? WHY? :shrug: And now it’s played on the radio?! Is it the grave matter for others to listen to it? The Church would’ve banned it if it was, right? *

You seem awfully concerned about a song you know nothing about. :shrug:

Personally, I think she is awesome! I may not be her biggest fan, but Im probably one of her oldest. I love performance artist like this. She is very similar to Blackie Lawless from W.A.S.P. What she does is artistic expression using music. Some of her stuff is pure Genius. Im an old metal head my self, but her music and voice do something for me. :)

If you listen closely to Just Dance, part way thru you will here the mantra, “have sex.” If your that sensitive maybe you should just not listen to her music. Satanic? I came from the 80s where everything was considered “satanic.” I find it laughable. People just use this to sell books. How DO you play music on an IPOD backwards to hear the evil messages? I cant figure it out. :shrug: :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I have now watched the video and heard the song. Not as bad as it was hyped. Not entirely un-offensive, but I don't really have a problem with it now.....

If our moral compass can’t guide us in the “real” world, then what use is it? I choose what I want to listen to in my home, my ipod, my car, but I don’t care a whit what I hear in public. It does not affect me, unless it inspires hatred, violence or bigotry. I never really thought about that. I guess I just figure that sex is a personal matter, unless there is a victim. Consensual immoral behavior is the problem of the people doing it, not my problem.

And scantily dressed women do none else than inspire men to objectify them and therefore to abuse sex. Sex abuse is the #1 cause of violence. Look at what inspired the 9/11 terrorists.

And scantily clad women seem to be the biggest phobia among Catholic men. Tell me, have you ever been to a beach? :shrug:

My parents were nudists. I would not call myself one. But I don’t wear clothing when there is no good reason to wear them. For example, at the beach or to go swimming, or on a hot day in the wilderness. I grew up in Hawaii, where people don’t where a lot of clothing while going about their daily business anyway. Maybe, I don’t objectify women as much as guys who grew up with women covered from head to toe. This sounds like a good reason for women to wear less, and men too, rather than more, as long as the weather is warm.

I’ve only liked a few of her songs in the past (I’m more of a Katy Perry person). He videos in the past were quirky, but kinda fun (I liked paparazzi). But now their just full on crazy. I really believe that she is not playing with a full deck. Either she has some mental issues or she’s on drugs. I don’t hate her as a person (I actualy truely feel sorry for her), but I hate her as an “artist”.

As I said in another post in the news thread, Lady Gaga has never made strong enough a statement or done anything so meaningful and deep as to evoke any emotion in me whatso ever, ergo she’s never offended me and will have to do something seriously big in order to do so. She simply gets on my nerves because she’s a huge attention seeker who sings generic pop music and her fans, who annoy me more than she does, believe her to be an amaizing cutting edge artist because she wears clothes that even I think are silly. However, if you’re going to criticise this Judas song or it’s video I’d advise you to listen to it and watch it otherwise you cant make a judgement and may be in danger of jumping to conclusions and misjudging someone unfairly.

Right, I took my own advice and just watched it on youtube. I dont know if it was a cencored version or what but the worst thing I can say about it is that it was just a silly pointless costume parade, as per usual with Lady Gaga. There was nothing even bold enough about it to offend or upset me. Basically there was a modern day Jesus and a modern day Judas and modern day deciples on motorbikes and all they did was sort of hang about while she danced around in several irrelevant and random outfits. Fair enough the Jesus character doned a gold crown of thorns which I understand will upset some people as it does trivialise what Our Lord went through to save us, but if Gaga wants to be so pathetic as to buy cheap contoversy and publicity by doing something so childish then I wouldnt even give someone like that the satisfaction of a response. Its a cheap shot and its pathetic and its cowardly - I mean, would she dare poke the same fun at Islam or Mohamed? My guess would be no. So dont listen to me when I tell you to watch the video. You’d be right to just ignore it and not give crowd pleasers like her what she wants, which is attention. Also I had to look up the lyrics as I couldnt understand a word sang in the video. They’re mostly a mish mash of repetitions. As far as I can tell its about how you should love someone like Jesus (“Jesus is my virtue”) which is quite right, but how you can be tempted by someone like Judas who is describes as a “deamon” and “cruel” which I dont think is actually biblically accurate but what can you expect from some one who deliberately sets out to antagonise in order to get attention? They havent a clue what they’re really talking about or what they believe in them selves so I’d take it with a pinch of salt, roll my eyes back and simply laugh at the petty modern art that is this video and song and at all the foolish people who will buy into it and say its brilliant because all their friends claim to think so too.

[quote="benidict, post:10, topic:239112"]
How DO you play music on an IPOD backwards to hear the evil messages? I cant figure it out. :shrug: :p

[/quote]

You have to invite Robert Plant and Jimmy Page over for dinner, have them burn some incense, and ever so gently rotate the dial on an "old" iPod classic on the wrong direction. ;)

Wow. I just saw the video. While it’s not the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen (more silly if anything), that has to be one of the most annoying songs ever. I had to put it on mute. Why do people think this woman is talented? And how can she keep calling herself original?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.