Landmark Education

I am a practicing Catholic and I have a strong faith. Recently, I was invited by other Catholics to attend a “meeting” which would help me to attain more peace in my life.
When I arrived at this meeting I was greated by many smiling faces.
This meeting was an introducing to a new way of thinking which was called "Landmark Education."
I am a bit weary of this because its main focus is the complete controlling of our lives by omitting our past.
Is there any information our faith has on this new liberal education?

I’m not sure that it is anything new. If you are referring to what I think you are, Landmark Education is just a re-packaged version of the “est” training which was popular back in the 1970s.
web.archive.org/web/20000510011109/www.time.com/time/magazine/1998/dom/980316/society.the_best_of_est.3.html

I think it was a scam back then, and have no reason to think any differently now. It also used techniques were frequently employed by cults to break people down in order to win them over.

As Dale said above, Landmark really is just a repackaged form of EST (short for Erhard Seminars Training). EST is itself a slightly altered form of some of the techniques and methods developed by L. Ron Hubbard for Scientology. Werner Erhard mixed these techniques with a little from Zen and other traditions to start his own cult and he left or was expelled from the Church of Scientology.

IMHO, these practices are harmful, mentally and spiritually, and when investigated are not compatible with most forms of monotheism, including Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity.

To go back to the original latin name of the program:

est quisquiliae (It is garbage):smiley:

Dear Dale,
Thank you so much in confirming my suspicions. I felt odd when I was amoungst these people but I did not know what it was. Maybe it was the response I had from several people when I told them “May God Bless you.” Their facial reactions were rejection instead of acceptence.
May Our Lord Bless you Dale. You have just helped 4 people who you do not know.
Rey

Dear MyzTek,
Thank you so much for your reply. As I mentioned to Dale, I felt a strange presence with some of these people. I felt that some were very empty and were searching for something to fill a void in their life.The person who invited me has that void which I have been trying to slowly educate about filling it by accepting that God exsist.
May God Bless you and your family.
Rey

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.