Landmark forum

**Hiya I was just wondering if anyone here knows about “Landmark forum” and whether or not it is a cult and if it would be safe for a catholic to attend.

Evanescence**

The Landmark Baptist forum is garbage. It is bunch of Baptist rednecks (literally) with kindergarten level attention spans spouting off the worst anti-Catholic garbage out there.
Don’t go there expecting a conversation, rather a yelling match.

**I mean this course
landmarkeducation.com.au/

Evanescence**

Well what do you mean by “safe”???

You might want to read up a bit on it on the net. There are a couple of interesting sights which basically call it a money making cult, and I think it is very confronting for some people.

apologeticsindex.org/l30.html

At the end of the day it’s a buisness. People are encouraged (some would say pressured) to reveal a lot of personal things on these weekends… and to enrol friends & family, take further “development courses”

I have a friend who has done it…he seems ok. but he was a bit of a nut case to start with heheh.

Depends on if you are capable of taking it all with a grain of salt. Are you that kind of person??

Isn’t that a “reformation” of Werner Erhardt’s EST?

If you’re really looking for self-torture try the fundamental forums or the CARM forums.
Or you could just pound nails into your eyeballs.
:smiley:
:wink:

If you’re really looking for self-torture try the fundamental forums or the CARM forums.

Landmark is not an internet forum…but having meet people into Landmark I would conclude it would be akin to torture. At least to me.:wink:

Check out these articles and litigation about and against Landmark.

I dated a guy who was into it. He didn’t try to get me into it but his roommate did. They really thought they had it going on.:rolleyes: So unfortunately for them I was not sold on it’s success.

I believe it is. I had a book on cults with a chapter about EST.

I wouldn’t mind going just to sneak a peak (if I got a free ticket). It’d be interesting to see how they rope people in. I think there’s a lot of group psychology involved, subtle peer pressure, making a fool of people who don’t agree etc.

Evanescence ~ I know a girl who spent more then $2000 (that she couldn’t even afford) on their garbage. Of course, this girl was emotionally immature and didn’t even know the difference between a feeling and an opinion. The only thing she learned was how to become very obnoxious and manipulative. They constantly called her and pressured her to volunteer her services and to get other people involved. BIG WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!

You hit the nail right on the head!

According to this page:
landmarkeducation.com/media_fact_sheet.jsp
of their own site, Landmark ishttp://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif Warner Erhard repackaged.
It:shrug: may or may not be a:shrug: cult; but anything withhttp://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif Warner Erhard’s name on it, is, IMHO, guaranteed to be a con to relieve people of their money.:twocents:
Read a few of the articles sited here: rickross.com/groups/landmark.html
I don’t know if its “safe”, but it certainly isn’t smart.(Again:my :twocents: ).

**I’m just planning to the the 3 day course itself, I don’t plan on acting as an advertisement for them. It is a bit pricy to begin with however the expenses are mostly due to being hooked onto the program and attending many of their other courses, so the answer would be to ignore their many phone calls haha :slight_smile:
My psychologist just recommended the landmark course itself which is why I’m doing it, but really I don’t know much about them except they can be a bit sales-crazy.

making a fool of people who don’t agree etc.

I won’t feel like a fool sticking to my Catholic beliefs. :wink:

Or you could just pound nails into your eyeballs.

Nooo not Landover Baptist! :eek: :rolleyes: mentally scarred for life >faints<

Thanks for the responses everyone :o

Evanescence **

My aunt went to a Landmark forum, but she started talking about Jesus durring the introduce yourself segment which is a big no no. So for the next four hours she got called a “**** eating robotic *******” and generaly made fun of. It sstill makes her sad to think about how much the Landmark Forum lecturer hated her, especialy since her siblings are into it.

The other Landmark family members thought it was unfortunate that she wasn’t “cured of Christianity,” especialy since they spent $600 on her ticket. Still, they didn’t think that the way she was treated was out of the ordinary and they’ve offered to buy her another ticket as soon as she stops being “afraid of the truth.”

Is your psychologist a Catholic?

That’s Landover Baptist and as far as I know most of the people including those who made the site are just doing it ‘for a laugh’ and they’re not real baptists, though it could easily be confused for one given some of the stuff that comes out of southern US baptists

That’s Landover Baptist and as far as I know most of the people including those who made the site are just doing it ‘for a laugh’ and they’re not real baptists, though it could easily be confused for one given some of the stuff that comes out of southern US baptists

From what I remember according to their T.O.S they’re a parody, satire site. There is no way one can take them seriously. I’m not saved cos’ I’m Aussie :rolleyes:

I’m sure by now anyone reading this thread is probably confused by what we’re all talking about. :wink:

Is your psychologist a Catholic?

No he’s not, however he does respect the Catholic Church and prefers the CC over protestant Christianity.
He seems particularily interested and in belief of Carl Jung, Greek Mythology and interpretating dreams.

Evanescence**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.