Lands’ End apologizes for feature on feminist Gloria Steinem

An interesting lesson here. The power of the consumer’s choice should not be underestimated.

Lands’ End apologizes for feature on feminist Gloria Steinem

SHARE STORY BY ASSOCIATED PRESS | February 25, 2016 @ 9:47 am

DODGEVILLE, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin-based retailer Lands’ End is apologizing to customers for featuring an interview with feminist and political activist Gloria Steinem in its spring catalog and has removed references to her from its website.

The company removed a feature on Steinem from its website after customers complained about her support for abortion rights, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported (bit.ly/1QG5CMQ ). The retailer issued an apology Wednesday after offended customers complained, including by flooding the company’s Facebook page with hundreds of comments and vows to stop shopping the stores.

“We understand that some of our customers were offended by the inclusion of an interview in a recent catalog with Gloria Steinem on her quest for women’s equality,” the company said in a statement. “We thought it was a good idea and we heard from our customers that, for different reasons, it wasn’t.”

Steinem had been interviewed by company CEO Federica Marchionni for the Lands’ End “Legend Series,” which features people “who have made a difference in both their respective industries and the world at large,” according to the company.

Lands’ End spokeswoman Michele Casper said Friday that the issue of abortion was not raised in the article.

“It was an opportunity for us to provide this interview with Gloria because she’s known for doing great things. She’s a legend. It was never our intention to raise a political or religious issue,” Casper said.

Steinem’s representative at Random House said Steinem was currently in the United Kingdom on book tour and unavailable for comment.

Earlier this month, Steinem drew criticism for her comment about the Democratic presidential race, saying U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders’ young female supporters were doing it to meet boys instead of backing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

At least two private religious schools also have weighed in, saying they plan to stop purchasing uniforms from Lands’ End and are urging others to do the same. In a letter to the company, Missouri College of the Ozarks administrator Sue Head said its decision to feature a “well-known abortion activist” helped lead to the school’s decision to shop elsewhere. Head said the college has spent more than $150,000 in the company’s uniform division.

ktar.com/story/930957/lands-end-apologizes-for-feature-on-feminist-gloria-steinem/

The problem for me is that I go to Lands End for clothing, not interviews. I am not sure why they included an interview at all. Just show us your clothing line. I don’t need to know the company’s politics. But obviously, they took a chance and lost with a lot of people.

wasn’t there also a picture of Gloria or another woman saying “I had an abortion” on it?

I am glad they apologized. of all the people they could have done an interview on - why choose her anyway?

And Casper should have added something to the effect that…

“We are still oblivious to the fact that abortion is not primarily a political or religious issue, but a moral one. The fact we are setting up a false dichotomy between religion and politics, leaving ethics completely out of the picture signals that our left-wing, SJW position on the matter remains intact and that we are only doing this retraction because of pressure from our customers. It isn’t like we care an iota for the babies being dismembered and disposed. On that, we remain decidedly, obliviously neutral and won’t take the side of babies over women… well, because women buy clothes, babies don’t. But hey, we used pictures of smiling, laughing children on the front cover. That should count for something.”

http://www.standtrue.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/half_bubble_plannedParenthood1.png

I’m good. Forgive and forget. They goofed. Apology accepted.

This summer I am going to have to switch uniforms to one for middle school, so I am glad I don’t have to scramble for an alternative. Land’s End it is.

“It was an opportunity for us to provide this interview with Gloria because she’s known for doing great things. She’s a legend. It was never our intention to raise a political or religious issue,” Casper said

Do they really expect us to believe they are that naive? I’m not buying it.

Earlier this month, Steinem drew criticism for her comment about the Democratic presidential race, saying U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders’ young female supporters were doing it to meet boys instead of backing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Wow, she really doesn’t think very highly of women, apparently it’s all about the boys. Because of course there are no boys on the Clinton campaign? More sexist **** from the woman who pretends to care about women’s equality.

Jack the Ripper was a legend too. How about a picture of him saying “I don’t regret my slaying of those prostitutes.”

They are lying. No company that large, with the money they have devoted to marketing and PR, is that ignorant. They don’t spend from their budget unless it is tightly controlled and governed. The folks making the decision clearly support her and her views, but for some reason, thought everyone else in America shared Steinem’s moronic viewpoints.

They didn’t “goof”. It was intentional.

And since they are lying about their apology, is it really an apology?

As a Catholic, such an assumption would be uncharitable for and be contrary to what the Church teaches on how we deal with others.

Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.278 He becomes guilty:

• of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;
  • of *detraction *who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;279
  • of *calumny *who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.
    2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor’s thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another’s statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.280

Forgiving others is what we do as Christians.

This is not rash judgment. It is right judgment. Large corporations like this have marketing and PR departments who fully vet anyone associated with the company. They knew exactly who Ms. Steinem is, and knew full well how controversial she is. And they went with her anyway. They weren’t shocked or surprised about who she is and what she believes. They picked her because of who she is, what she has done and what she stands for. And they thought their customers would blindly accept this claim that she’s a pioneer for women or some such ridiculous claim.

It’s actually offensive to their customers that they are even trying to pretend they had no idea their selection would be controversial.

wow! that is really something to be proud of! is that shirt suppose to attract a new boyfriend. would she really where that in public?

I lack your personal knowledge of the marketing firm that did this. I also remember what I was taught when I assume.

You know saying something like “right” doesn’t make it so. If you find them offensive, do not shop there. I think it unchristian to be unforgiving. I am pretty sure that part is even part of the Our Father.

Just to be clear, that photo wasn’t associated with the Lands End interview. Abortion wasn’t mentioned.

It seems odd that because a woman is “pro-choice” (which I’m not), anything she says about women in the workplace (one of the interview’s subjects) is automatically disregarded.

Since there are multiple pages about Trump’s attitude towards David Duke, I’d say a person’s certain beliefs do indeed disqualify them in the public eye even when they are right on a host of other issues. Once could argue Duke has a lot of cogent things to say about immigration or tax policy (I have no idea whether he does), but since attached his name to something we find reprehensible, no one trots him out for sage advice. This is either a double standard, or a mitigation of the reality of her pro-abortion stance.

Which specific comments of hers in this interview demonstrate a poor argument?

Understand I think it’s weird to use an interview with Steinem to sell clothing. But audience awareness is very different than argumentation.

I’d say her enthusiastic support of abortion rights should carry the same weight as Trump’s alleged non-repudiation of Duke. Either it negates the good things they have to say in other areas, or it doesn’t.

Abortion has been around for so long legally we as a people tend to forget the evil that it actually is. We become numb to it to a degree. But if Steinem’s support was not for abortion, but for exterminating Christians and homosexuals in gas chambers (equally evil), I’d say folks wouldn’t care to hear what she had to say about Equal Work for Equal Pay and would dismiss her outright.

Either way, I agree her placement had zero chance of helping them sell clothing, and a high chance of turning people off. Just and odd move to make.

It was odd. However, even I grew up hearing of women in the sixties that helped women end some of the unjust and archaic problem with women in the work place. I knew Gloria Steinem only as one of those women.

Then I grew up. I know the harm she has done. I sympathize with the possibility that some may still on think of her in the context of equality.

Again, in terms of audience awareness, it is incredibly stupid. But in terms of argument, it’s an ad hominem attack.

Totally agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.