Lanier plans to seal off rough ’hoods in latest effort to stop wave of violence

D.C. police will seal off entire neighborhoods, set up checkpoints and kick out strangers under a new program that D.C. officials hope will help them rescue the city from its out-of-control violence.

Under an executive order expected to be announced today, police Chief Cathy L. Lanier will have the authority to designate “Neighborhood Safety Zones.” At least six officers will man cordons around those zones and demand identification from people coming in and out of them. Anyone who doesn’t live there, work there or have “legitimate reason” to be there will be sent away or face arrest, documents obtained by The Examiner show.

examiner.com/a-1423820~Lanier_plans_to_seal_off_rough__hoods_in_latest_effort_to_stop_wave_of_violence.html

Well, it worked in Baghdad

I do not think the plan will work and there is an issue on constitutionality which I think has been raised.

Probably won’t pass Constitutional muster. Any internal passport system is unconstitutional. And the courts have a huge body of case law which prevents the police from deciding what a “legitimate reason” for being in an area would be.

Of course, there is no constitutional problem with setting up traffic checkpoints, and controlling entry to a crime scene. If it could be established that a street was a site for crime, then it might be easier to convince the court. It is, for example, reasonable to monitor traffic to and from a known crack house.

This one needs tweaking before it is implemented. I wish them good luck; it might actually work.

The gang problem in America will never be solved until we face the facts:

1. That kids need to be raised in a two parent home and be taught the difference between right and wrong
  2. That our welfare system is broken beyond repair and needs to be scrapped and a new one built from the ground up
  3. That knee jerk reactions like more gun control don’t work
  4. That the trouble makers need to be kicked out of the public school system.
  5. That we need God in our schools and work places as well as our homes.

Sealing off neighborhoods won’t work, it is just another stop gap measure that make the cops and politicians look like they are doing something when in fact they are not.

Much as I’d love to agree with you about kicking trouble makers out of the public school system, do you realize what happens when we do that?

They end up in your neighborhood, unsupervised during the day, with nothing to do.

Not a good idea, I think.

Find a way to keep an eye on them, and I’d agree.

Maybe something like the CCC or WPA from back in The Great Depression where they learn a trade and are under quasi military control and if they can’t follow the rules there then it is a juvenile lockup.

Sounds like a good idea. Do you think we, as a country, have the political will to do it?

No I don’t. I don’t think either party is willing to tackle the tough problems. They just want to throw more money away on band-aid solutions like sealing off neighborhoods.

Do the names Krakow, Warsaw, Litzmannstadt, or Bialystok ring a bell? How about Al Ram, or Dahyet Al Barid? This is an absolutely unconstitutional move. Papieren bitte! :mad:

No, we don’t. Mandatory national service schemes have been proposed in the past 30 years, but such a program would require raising taxes and that seems to be a non-starter.

I agree that the DC program as described is very likely unconstitutional.

I think we should withdraw from DC, violence is outta control there with rape, murder, robbings, death rampant. The situation is hopeless etc. Perhaps we bring Gen. Petraueus home and have a “surge” in DC? I wonder what Pelosi and Reid thank of that!

I’m thinking more Americans lost their lives in DC neighborhoods then Iraq in the month of May, so why haven’t the liberals demanded a withdrawl?

A city that elects a crack addict like Marion Barry not once, but TWICE to the office of mayor deserves whatever it gets.

You’re not suggesting secession of the red states, from the blue states are ya, Bama?:wink:

You’re not suggesting secession of the red states, from the blue states are ya, Bama?

Nah I’m just sayin lets just pull back across the Potomac and see what happens to the District if left to fend for themselves.

And welcome to the fourm LookAway.:thumbsup: Kinda of hard to find a Catholic with a southern accent, but it seems a good many of us find our way to CAF.

It would be very interesting to sit back and watch what unbridled liberalism looks like over time.:rolleyes:

Hopefully our numbers are growing in the south and thanks for the southern welcome, Sur.

And just who is “we” and “they” in this scenario? The District of Columbia belongs to all Americans as the seat of our federal government which is precisely why it was not made a state. I have been there a few times in the past year and seen vastly fewer “rough” looking characters than I have in a similar amount of time in St. Louis, Dallas or Houston. Merely having some dangerous areas does not mean that we should turn it into the Warsaw ghetto and herd people who someone finds undesirable into it. We are not the Germans in WWII.

Some cities have partially sealed entrances into neighborhoods in the US in the past with disastrous results in the response times for emergency responders who have only 1-2 ways into a large area. If it was your relative living there or yourself on business there who needed an ambulance for a heart attack, I don’t think you would be advocating such nonsense.

And just who is “we” and “they” in this scenario? The District of Columbia belongs to all Americans as the seat of our federal government which is precisely why it was not made a state. I have been there a few times in the past year and seen vastly fewer “rough” looking characters than I have in a similar amount of time in St. Louis, Dallas or Houston. Merely having some dangerous areas does not mean that we should turn it into the Warsaw ghetto and herd people who someone finds undesirable into it. We are not the Germans in WWII.

Some cities have partially sealed entrances into neighborhoods in the US in the past with disastrous results in the response times for emergency responders who have only 1-2 ways into a large area. If it was your relative living there or yourself on business there who needed an ambulance for a heart attack, I don’t think you would be advocating such nonsense.

Sheesh JC you need to lighten up, we were just kidding! But you did not read my post, I don’t wanna a barricade around the place, I said to pull out!! LOL. Let em have it!

Ok let us start from the beginning.

You are confused, the people we elect have nothing to do with how the District of Columbia is run, they just send them OUR money collected from the rest of the country. So in this discussion us is the regular folks out here in flyover country, and they are nuts running the city.

Outsiders don’t turn a place into a ghetto, the people* living *there do. You’re telling us, a city in America cordoned off an entire neigbhorhood and restricted the movement of people coming and going? I’m not speaking of some gated community now, but you’re talking a public street with checkpoints, shaking folks down, before letting them pass on a public street? Mind telling tell us what city that took place in? I’m not talking about police checkpoints for DUI, or looking for known felons that robbed a bank, but a full time, 24 hour post, where cops checked everyone coming and going 7 days a week. Govt placed a Berlin Wall around a neighborhood, blockading all the roads but one or two, to make chokepoints. I’m not saying it didn’t happen, because in Detroit *anything *is possible, I just never heard of it.

And you’re saying not only did they restrict citizens, but stopped emergency vehicles for the proper paperwork before letting them enter? You mind telling us where this happend?

I agree with ya about St Louis and Houston, bad there too. Along the way throw in Detroit, Cleveland, Cinncinati, Philly, LA, Camden, Atlanta, and New Orleans. Now ask yourself what all those cities have in common? Run by liberals! And have been for the last 40 years, so don’t blame me if they’ve been turned into ghettos.

You need to spend more time in the District, I’ve been there many times, (relatives working in the District and live in Lorton) around the monuments you are ok, and Georgetown area is mostly ok, but I’m NOT gonna go anywhere in that place I dunno.

The real problem with DC, of course, is that the people who live there don’t have it. It’s run by Congress, with some local autonomy. However, everything the council does, is subject to Congressional veto. It’s kind of an experiment in what it would be like, if Congress ran municipal governments.

Is it surprising that the only city actually run by Congress, is the worst-run city in the nation? BTW, I don’t mean that as an attack on Congress. It’s a structural problem, one that will never be solved, regardless of who is in power, until there is some sort of self-government. We saw the same kinds of problems in colonies of European powers, when the governance was handled by people who didn’t actually live there.

They did it abominably, and the local people they trusted with what little power was allowed them, were incompetent.

I don’t know the solution, BTW. As you see, when the European powers moved out of the colonies, in most cases, the culture of dependence fostered one unstable, corrupt government after another.

I don’t know the solution, BTW. As you see, when the European powers moved out of the colonies, in most cases, the culture of dependence fostered one unstable, corrupt government after another.

Imagine that LOL.

Barbarian observes:

Imagine that LOL.

It was the last blow from the colonialists; they purposely kept the occupied population out of governance, and then left, with very little preparation. Notice, that countries with long histories of self-government in Africa, such as Algeria and Morocco and South Africa did fairly well, while those most brutally suppressed, like Zaire, imploded.

I don’t see the humor. It was preventable. The Phillipines and Puerto Rico, for example, achieved self-government with little of the corruption and violence that plagued other colonial societies.

My points:

1. As long as Congress runs a city, it will be poorly run.

2. Until the population is educated to govern themselves, it would be foolhardy to simply turn it over to them.

And it has nothing to do with race; it has everything to do with being in a top-down society, where people don’t make the rules for themselves.

. As long as Congress runs a city, it will be poorly run.

They have a mayor, city council, police chief, fire chief, legal dept, and everything else a city does. The mayor and council are elected by the residents, they run the day to day operations of the city, NOT Capital Hill (they have enough problems of their own)

But I agree with ya, if they run a city the way they do a country it would be mostly inept. Thank God for local govts here in Alabama!

These people run the budgets and dole out the money. I’d probably agree with ya, the constiuents in DC need to some work, I mean how do you elect a crack addict Mayor not once but TWICE???

The local govt in the District is one of the most corrupt in the country. More money per pupil is spent per student then most anywhere else, and they continiously graduate kids that can’t read and write.

How a society in the U.S. that is unable to govern themselves comes about I dunno. Can’t be for a lack of money, Zeus knows billions have been poured in to the District, all of it squandered.

Like you, I dunno what the answer is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.