LAPD’s First Openly Gay Officer Charged In Domestic Violence Case [CBS Los Angeles]

CBS Los Angeles affiliate:

LAPD’s First Openly Gay Officer Charged In Domestic Violence Case

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles Police Department’s first openly gay officer will make his first court appearance Tuesday on domestic violence charges.

Retired Sgt. Mitchell Grobeson, 57, was arrested Friday after a nearly four-hour standoff inside a West Hollywood home before he surrendered to a sheriff’s SWAT team.

Grobeson is being held on $250,000 bail on suspicion of corporal injury to a spouse, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. He was charged with assault with a firearm and criminal threats stemming from a domestic dispute with his husband that led to Friday’s standoff.

The incident began about 10:10 a.m. Friday in the 800 block of West Knoll Drive, according to the Sheriff’s Information Bureau. No evacuations were ordered.

Read More At: losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/03/08/lapds-first-openly-gay-officer-charged-in-domestic-violence-case/

And why do we need to know this?

Why does the media feel the need to stress that a figure is homosexual when it has nothing to do with their line of work or the story presented? Who cares. A cop is a cop, a football player is a football player, a lawyer is a lawyer. Their personal lives should not matter and should not be publicized.

Maybe in this case, the police officer made a point of being openly gay.

Michael Sam, the football player, made a big deal out of his being openly gay.

One of my openly baptist co-workers was fired for stealing from the company.

I’m openly pro-classical music…and I vote.

Are there news articles on this we can read about? Was it publicized?

I agree the demographic stuff is tiresome, but I am surprised they led with the headline that way.

We see it all the time when it comes to Catholic, Christians, or clergy, and there have been numerous examples of political scandals that will not mention the party affiliation unless the person in question is a Republican, but rarely do we see this.

I suspect this guy was out and someone of significance publically there, but who knows. Two dudes hitting each other isn’t a story worth reading.

I’d like to see compiled statistics of the frequency of homosexual domestic disputes. I think these relationships are particularly violent. In my town I can think of a couple of homosexuals who murdered their lover. The powers that be try to portray homosexuals as particularly good people who are victimized by society. But I think their biggest threat is their fellow homosexual. Just to be clear by homosexual I mean people living active homosexual lives, not people struggling with SSA.

I think the message is more that homosexuals are regular people like everyone else, no better and no worse.

If one of the parties involved was, say, half man, half lobster then maybe it would be worth a headline.

That is a bit of a sweeping generalization, isn’t it?

It is as significant as Ferguson.

Well yes, it is significant, after all police officers are substantially more likely to engage in domestic violence and yet are far less likely to be charged with domestic violence, evidently they did not like this man.

Exactly.
When we think of domestic violence we always assume it is men abusing women but women often abuse men, gays abuse each other and I’d bet the statistics are pretty much the same for all groups.

As for why the story is newsworthy I’m sure it was in the news when the "first open gay cop"was hired so he was more of a public figure than other cops.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.