Large Marijuana Parties, On The Common In Keene, NH

Or is this anarchy?

The local police are doing nothing about it nor are the state police.

Each day at 4:20 for about a week they have had 30 plus people on the common smoking pot.

There is a Rhode Island based company that sells marijuana -themed apparel.

Do laws mean anything in the liberal northeast, apparently not.

keenesentinel.com/articles/2009/09/26/news/local/free/id_373111.txt

(The significance of 4:20 - In the beginning, this is the code used in a California high school for drug use and now it is the police code for marijuana use.)

This is going on because Governor Lynch vetoed a marijuana medical bill and the democrat legislature is in the process of trying to override his veto.

30 plus people daily? There’s easily more than that daily at any given college/university, this is nothing new.

]They are standing in the center of the city on the common, all smoking. Then fifty marched to the police station smoking pot to protest after one finally got arrested - the person they chose to arrest was the one who started the whole thing.

Just because the colleges allow their students to break the law, it doesn’t make it OK.

Well, personally I think that the prohibition of cannabis is a law that is not needed and intrudes on personal choice. If you look into the roots of these prohibition laws, they have more to do with racism than anything. And considering that cannabis is less harmful than any over the counter medication, prescription medication, and shown to be more effective for certain treatments than prescription medications. I don’t see anything wrong with the people engaging in peaceful protest to debunk a bogus law. Especially when things like alchohol and tobacco are legal. The laws need to be revised, the only reason why they haven’t been is because it’s still taboo among politicians.

originally posted by Hobble
Well, personally I think that the prohibition of cannabis is a law that is not needed and intrudes on personal choice. If you look into the roots of these prohibition laws, they have more to do with racism than anything. And considering that cannabis is less harmful than any over the counter medication, prescription medication, and shown to be more effective for certain treatments than prescription medications, I don’t see anything wrong with the people engaging in peaceful protest to debunk a bogus law. Especially when things like alchohol and tobacco are legal.

Racism?

The protest is not the issue, a peaceful protest is fine. They are choosing to break the law each day.

Yes, they are choosing to break a useless law. I’m sorry, but I see no harm. The law has been contested time and time again. Even though the evidence that it is a pointless law greatly outways evidence to the contrary, it still stands. Should people assume that their government knows what’s best? or should they stand up for what they think is right when a law is useless? I guess it’s a matter of opinion, but in a democracy the people have the power, when there is a pointless law I see no reason to abide by it. Why should a safe drug be kept illegal, while drug companies push out countless severely dangerous drugs?

And yes, racism in the 1930’s was one of the main factors among others that led to the prohibition of cannabis.

originally posted by Hobble
Yes, they are choosing to break a useless law. I’m sorry, but I see no harm. The law has been contested time and time again. Even though the evidence that it is a pointless law greatly outways evidence to the contrary, it still stands. Should people assume that their government knows what’s best? or should they stand up for what they think is right when a law is useless? I guess it’s a matter of opinion, but in a democracy the people have the power, when there is a pointless law I see no reason to abide by it. Why should a safe drug be kept illegal, while drug companies push out countless severely dangerous drugs?

Who decides which laws are useful and which are useless? I am sure many would have a different opinion on which ones are useless. The legislature is deciding that and this group is pushing the issue but I think a lawful display would have been the way to go.

Some of the kids that were smoking were teens; the paper interviewed a 16 year old.

Pumpkinfest (thousands of pumpkins)with lots of children will take place shortly so let’s see if they are the common that day. Families are already walking around the city looking at the Halloween displays and they are on the common smoking.:shrug:

I’m with gam197 on this. I wouldn’t want this going on in my city, & I can’t believe the city tolerates it. I’m not sure why Hobble thinks marijuana is such a safe drug. It impairs you and can turn bright people into “stoners”. It is addictive & is also a gateway drug to much harsher drugs. I think it should only be prescribed by a physician in limited circumstances when someone is very ill & needs it as an anti-emetic, anti-nausea med.

Personally, I have never been a pot-smoker and don’t want anything to do with it, and I think people can protest laws without breaking them. However, the laws surrounding marijuana have nothing at all to do with public safety and are entirely social constructions. I still think all laws should be followed, but not because the laws are necessarily good ones. Laws against pot were enacted to create a criminal constituency to keep certain groups of law enforcement in business in the 1930s. If you are interested, there’s some good historical criticism about the timing of marijuana laws to coincide with the ending of Prohibition (to prevent people from losing jobs who had been responsible for enforcing alcohol laws). You might also look at historical criticism of the movie Reefer Madness, and how pot was criminalized by Harry Anslinger. Three of my history and sociology classes in college covered this material.

When it comes to a chemical, there aren’t very many black and white ones out there. THC is dangerous for a group of people who are vulnerable to developing psychotic illnesses. Studies have shown marijuana use can precipitate schizophrenia. Because of that- not a good choice, at least for people who might become schizophrenic. On the other hand, there are studies that have shown the phytochemicals responsible for the green color actually prevent, rather than cause, lung cancer.When it comes to what is dangerous, tobacco and alcohol are without question more dangerous to people’s health, as are prescription drugs. That is all true.

I agree with the above post. The drug should be treated with similar laws to alchohol and tobacco. It should at least be legal for medicinal reasons, because the drugs that drug companies push out is way more dangerous.

The post that says Cannabis is addictive, that is wrong, cannabis is not physically addictive, mentally anything can be addictive.

It isn’t possible to overdose on cannabis, yet how many people overdose on pain killers? Anti-depressiion drugs are basically cocaine, and are just as dangerous, yet they’re even trying to push that on children these days. So many extremely dangerous drugs are legal and pushed on people by drug companies, yet one of the safest drugs is kept illegal. It is completely backwards.

Peaceful protests, and working with the law systems has been a course taken by cannabis activists for decades, the only reason it keeps getting shot down is because it’s still taboo among politicians. That isn’t a good reason to keep something illegal, the prohibition needs to go. The reason there is still prohibition is corporate and social, there is no true justifiable reason to keep it illegal.

That’s a pretty broad statement. I don’t think it’s true for either the case of OTC medications or for prescription medications. I think it’s especially untrue in the manner cannabis is usually consumed, by smoking.

Broad statements that run contrary to common wisdom.

I would like to see some credible sources.

Common wisdom is practically worthless. Go find the sources yourself. Go to Google scholar and read the science.

It irritates me how some people cannot be bothered to read enough to develop an educated opinion for themselves on anything. I personally watch no televsion, ever, so I don’t absorb the prejudices and misinformation of average people. On the other hand, I read constantly, and one of the most fascinating things to read about is health and medicine, through Google scholar.

It’s a little unkind to assume that vz71 can’t be bothered to read & that he doesn’t have an educated opinion on anything. It is customary on these forums to ask people making claims to support them with facts. That’s what vz71 was doing.

I’m an average person, but I have not formed my opinions about marijuana from watching television. I have seen many people socially & academically stunted from using pot. It is also a gateway drug to harsher drugs. At this point I am willing to remain open minded about it, but I am not convinced that pot is safer than tylenol & other otc meds. All drugs have side effects, but I think their positive effects outweigh marijuana’s anti-emetic effect.

Thank you.
That was in fact what I was doing.

However now I believe I have sufficient information.
The reluctance to back the posts with anything at all speaks volumes.

Google it, the information is easily available.
It’s always sad when people assume that the lobbyists that push these laws have the best of intentions. Do your own research, learn who the real drug pushers are.

Like I said earlier, cannabis is not physically addictive, and it’s impossible to overdose on it, it’s been proven. Yet how many people become addicted to prescription medication?
Have you ever noticed the long list of brutal side effects in prescription medication commercials? Tylenolis more likely to cause liver failure than any other drug. Anti-depressants are only variations of cocaine, and some even contain cocaine. The dangers of morphine have been well documented. The list goes on and on.

It’s not opinion, nor assumption, it is a fact that the legal drugs are far more dangerous than cannabis. The drug companies know this, they don’t care because they like money. Now they’re even pushing dangerous drugs on children, to treat “A.D.D” and other conditions that haven’t even been proven to exist. People need to wake up and call these companies out on the harm they are causing.

newscientist.com/article/dn17636-briefing-cannabis-compounds-fight-prostate-cancer.html

:rolleyes:

Most people are too lazy and incapable of critical thinking to do their own research and read. Don’t take it personally.

lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Drugs/THC/Health/pot.vs.cigarettes.html

Here is another article, but I could not find the original research cite.

Once again, for those who have difficulty with critical thinking, I am NOT saying pot is GOOD or anyone should smoke it. I am saying the effects of a chemical from a plant in natural form are not black and white. There will be positive health benefits and negative effects.

That’s how plants generally are. When you look at the overall effects, in society, of other chemicals compared to this chemical, this is not nearly as dangerous in a relative sense.

And once again, for those who have trouble with gray areas, I am NOT saying it is GOOD to use this chemical.

I agree with the above. Of course pot has bad effects when smoked, but there are other ways to use it which are safer. And still, smoked it is safer than alchohol and cigarettes, if they’re legal it should be too.

Being the only one in this thread that has called the lack of proper sources, it is difficult to see how you could be referencing anyone else but me.

In either case, it is not lazy to demand you do your own homework.
Nor is it lack of critical thinking skills that precipitated this demand.

It is worth noting however that the harshest responses I get on this forum usually come when an uncomfortable point has been made and the opposition cannot refute it with any logical means.
Given that these comments are with little doubt the harshest responses I have received to date from anyone in these forums, I wonder what this has to say about the actual argument (or lack thereof)?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.