Largest Eastern Catholic Church to publish 1st worldwide catechism [CWN]

The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church-- with 4.2 million members, the largest of the 21 Eastern Catholic churches-- will publish its first worldwide catechism next year. Sister Luiza Ciupa of the Catechetical Institute in Lviv says that the catechism, which will be translated into six languages, will “help others to discover the beauty of our tradition and our rite.”

More…

I’m hearing fall of 2010 for its release. As far as languages, English, Ukrainian, Portuguese (for the Eparchy in Brazil) and Spanish (for the Eparchy in Argentina) have been discussed, I’m not sure what the others will be (perhaps Polish and Russian, I don’t know). If it is even close to the Catechetical Directory published in 2000 in advance of the full Catechism, it will be a gem.
FDRLB

(I know this may be a silly question :blush:). How relevant to Latin Rite spirituality/catechism would this be? Is the catechism of the Eastern Churches significantly different than that of the Western Church? Just curiosity.

That’s what ACN is saying. They are helping cover the costs. “Six years in the making, the historic book is almost finished and will be published in 2010.”

I love the RC Catechism of the Catholic Church and am very excited about this coming out. And 2010 will be here before we know it :slight_smile:

If it is even close to the Catechetical Directory published in 2000 in advance of the full Catechism, it will be a gem.

Can you link us to where that is available? Maybe I’ve seen it… maybe not.

You can order it from the Eparchy of St. Josaphat Catechetical Office, stjosaphateparchy.org/Store.html about halfway down the page, Catechetical Directory of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. My oldest son will be in Ukraine this summer and I’ll have him check and see if it is still on track.
FDRLB

Thanks, Diak!

In looking for a description of the Catechetical Directory of the Ukrainian Catholic Church this background on the new Catechism of the Ukrainian Catholic Church came up which might speak a bit to pickguard1’s question. See especially “What is in our new Catechism?” and just before that section.

What a fascinating thread!

I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any other official universal Catechisms currently out or being worked on for any of the other Eastern Catholic Churches?

2. Is there anything published equivalent to a missal for any of the Eastern Catholic Churches? (Something that could be used in the same way, especially for a Latin Catholic with little familiartiy with the various Divine Liturgies and Eastern Catholic practices?)

This sounds like it would be intriguing reading for a Latin Catholic interested in better understanding the unique differences in the expression of theology in the Eastern Catholic Churches.

Great link. I cant wait till this come out! It would be great to see Eastern theological thinking a readily acessible format. It would reflect the theological diversity of the Church (something I know very little about myself:blush:

What a fascinating thread!

I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any other official universal Catechisms currently out or being worked on for any of the other Eastern Catholic Churches?

To my knowledge none are even being discussed. There are some catechetical materials out, but nothing of this scale.

1. Is there anything published equivalent to a missal for any of the Eastern Catholic Churches? (Something that could be used in the same way, especially for a Latin Catholic with little familiartiy with the various Divine Liturgies and Eastern Catholic practices?)

No, as to have all of the liturgical books at least for the Constantinopolitan (“Byzantine”) tradition and its particular developments one would need somewhere upwards of 20 or more books. There are some good prayer books to accompany the faithful for the Divine Liturgy in English. In the Ukrainian Greek Catholic usage the Divine Liturgy: An Anthology for Worship is excellent in English, and in addition to Divine Liturgy music, common text and propers has many other devotional gems, such as the Little Hours (roughly equivalent to Prime, Terce, Sext and None), preparation for Holy Communion and Confession, and other general prayers as well as some occasional services and rites. The Melkites also have Byzantine Daily Worship.

When it comes to the Divine Praises (Divine Office) things get even more complicated and books harder to find, but there are a few out there such as the Melkite and Ukrainian Catholic English versions of the Horologion, and the Melkites have much of the propers for the usual weekly/Sunday cycle (Octoechos) as well as the Lenten (Triodion), Paschal (Pentecostarion) and fixed feast days (Menion) volumes primarily for Vespers and Matins currently in print.
FDRLB

It will be interesting to read the Eastern Catholic catechism and to try to understand more fully the Eastern mentality and view of our Catholic faith.

As I understand it, the Eastern/Greek Rite of the Church holds essentially the same doctrines as the Western/Latin Rite, but the two rites approach the doctrine in distinct ways. As “Roman” Catholics, we look at our faith through the lens and influence of Western culture, and that influence is evident in the way we worship. But the Catholic Church is neither distinctly East nor West; it is universal! So, as a Latin Rite Catholic, I look forward to this work so that I may broaden my understanding of our Catholic faith–extending beyond the Western culture and interpretation of doctrine, and exploring also the Eastern side of the faith. Just as the Eastern Church’s Liturgy is unique, so, I expect, shall be the cultural mindset that guides its interpretation of doctrine. I look forward to enriching my own understanding of our faith by viewing it from both sides.

Thanks for responding to my questions! I was really wondering whether this catechism will expound upon the Eastern Philosophy which influences the difference in understanding of the doctrines, or how much of the catechism would be dedicated to that, vs. how much would be dedicated to the spelling out of the doctrines themselves (in much the same manner as, say, the Baltimore catechism) if any at all. I, too look forward to getting more info through the lens of the Eastern Churches, since it is so scarce to begin with (at least for a Roman in the US)

I am interested to read as to how they view the Supremacy of the Roman Pontiff and to what extent they accept his authority.

The Holy Father is called the Universal Pontiff in the Ukrainian Catholic Church’s liturgy.

And does he have the universal and supreme power over the Ukranian Catholic Church? For example, can he change their Liturgy if he deems it appropriate.

There is an active thread on that topic. Please continue the discussion there and do not jump threads with off-topic conversations.

May God Bless You Abundantly,
Catherine Grant
Eastern Catholicism Moderator

I think that’s a topic for a different thread.

(Woops, I see a moderator already posted this - sorry):blush:

Does anyone know where the catechism will be available for purchase? And how much?

As Diak previously mentioned, we’re hearing 2010 publication.

“The completed text is due to be presented to the synod of bishops in November for their final approval.” If final approval is, please God, forthcoming in November then some time in 2010 seems realistic. The time from final approval until available to purchase could be many months. We can hope that the cost will be one that will allow the faithful to afford it, something like the cost of the CCC is now. The CCC first came out in hard cover, then in large size paper back, and then in pocket size paper back. Each format was progressively less expensive. I haven’t seen any mention of the format in which this Catechism is planned to be first offered.

“…more than $25,500 to cover editing and other costs related to its preparation was provided by ACN” (Aid to the Church in Need) So if someone wanted to contact ACN they might have more details about timing and possible costs.

Well hopefully there are at least 20,000 people who would want to buy this. At 20-30 bucks a pop, that would easily cover production and distribution costs and provide a profit to allow further production etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.