Larry King poll about Catholic Church

Larry King has a poll about the Catholic Church, when I saw it early this morning it showed that 79% of the voters had an UNFAVORABLE view of the Church.

Here is a link if you care to look at (or take) the poll: cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

When I saw the poll:
[LIST]
*]882 voters had a favorable view
*]3382 voters had an unfavorable view
*]4268 total voters took the poll[/LIST]

not surprising when u consider that godless liberals and protestants dislike or downright hate the true church.

This should be no surprise to anybody, with all the bad publicity and inaccurate views of the Church in movies, tv, books, etc. Especially coming from CNN. With the big payout in California going on, it’s a wonder anybody had a favorable view of the Church. Now there are threats of criminal charges against church officials, bishops, etc, in the future. This whole mess will continue for the rest of my lifetime, or until the church in bankrupt, whichever comes first. Pray for our Church!

And not surprising when the Church, for no particular reason that can be seen, takes an arbitrary jab at the world by reissuing statements about everybody else not having true churches and being defficient. That’s always a sure way to endear people. :rolleyes:

Had there been a true question on the Church’s belief on the matter that needed to be answered, I could have seen some need to clarify, though possibly in a way that wasn’t quite equivalent to poking a stick in people’s eyes.

I’m sure I’ll be attacked here as supporting the nebulous “false ecuminism” or being a “relativist”, but it’s not about me believing all religions to be equal or not believing our Church to be the deposit of truth. It is simply about human relations and how one conveys the Word of God and the message of Jesus to a needy world. I’m one of those, as a Franciscan, who believes that Francis’s command to “preach the gospel always; use words if necessary” isn’t compatible with this kind of statement.

Putting people on the defensive through triumphalistic statements is not the way to inspire conversion and/or transformation. Modeling the gospel as Francis did, and as Jesus did, in a non-confrontational way, is still the only way to show the beauty of the love of God.

Peace,

so protestants are godless? and you gotta be a liberal?

interesting…the catholic church is always the victim seems. you would never know different on this board.

everyone else is the son of satan.

This poll is meaningless!:mad:

So, the purpse of this poll was what? Sure, Larry King comes out with a poll asking viewers who have the same mindset as he, what their opinion is of the Catholic Church on the very day that they reported the settlement in the sex abuse cases. The report was only about the Catholic Church and did not include any information about the FACT that this is an even worse problem in many Protestant churches. Shall we take a poll to state our opinion of Larry King?

Nope, because I never watch him, and I don’t really care what Larry King things of the Catholic Church!

Internet polls are not reliable indicators of the population at large (nor is the subgroup of Larry King’s viewers). Don’t worry about it.

-Rob

I have left the Catholic Church, but I am certainly not godless (Godless) nor am I liberal. I am pretty conservative. Maybe the Catholic Church is the only true church but none of us will really know until we leave this earth. In the meantime, let’s not bash those who disagree.

Does this poll affect my faith? NO. In fact, it just fulfills what Jesus himself told us would happen. We will be hated because of Him.

I agree about starting a poll on “who likes LK”, though.

It must have a lot to do with the Catholic Church being the largest institution for helping the poor, downtrodden, and against social injustices. All that humanitarian work really fosters unfavorable views, I’ll tell ya… :rolleyes:

It’s really pathetic. Most of these people, even if they can’t agree with the Catholic Church on many issues, have a difficult time eating meat and spitting out the bones.

They ought to take this same poll in the poorest countries on earth, and see if the weak and the lowly have a favorable opinion!

To be fair, the poll could have had two other options like…

Somewhat favorable and Somewhat unfavorable

Good thing genuine Catholicism is not about a popularity contest!

But there was John. There had been continuing and increasing declarations by many Catholics that Lumen Gentium, a Vatican II Document , had chaged the doctrine. You can even look at CAF threads and see that many catholics here thought that was true.

This is the paragraph in question:

This is the one Church of Christ which in the Creed is professed as one, holy, catholic and apostolic, (12) which our Saviour, after His Resurrection, commissioned Peter to shepherd,(74) and him and the other apostles to extend and direct with authority,(75) which He erected for all ages as “the pillar and mainstay of the truth”.(76) This Church constituted and organized in the world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him,(13*) although many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside of its visible structure. These elements, as gifts belonging to the Church of Christ, are forces impelling toward catholic unity.*

The dispute revolved around the word “subsists” and whether the way the sentence was structured inidcate there could be other true Church’s outside the Catholic. Now I never have really to get my mind warpped around this but there was serious disent , based on interpertng this paragraph, and many, many catholics (and Protestants) were claiming Lumen Gentium had changed the doctrine on salvation being through the Church

When a doctine is continually and publically misrepresented it is the Duty of the Magestriom to clarify it.

As far as the poll goes , So what? Is the Church to abandon the truth so people like us better?

Had there been a true question on the Church’s belief on the matter that needed to be answered, I could have seen some need to clarify, though possibly in a way that wasn’t quite equivalent to poking a stick in people’s eyes.

John,

You missed the context of the document, so I can see what you mean about it seeming to be an answer to an unasked question.

The fact is, the timing of the CDF document was not arbitrary in the least. It was released on the heels of the Motu Proprio to address what Pope Benedict mentioned in his explanatory letter as the “deeper issues” that separate us from the SSPX and others of that mindset.

The Latin Mass is just one such issue of separation, other issues surround the teachings of Vatican II, in particular in the way in which the Church described Herself and Her relationship with those who exist outside Her visible boundaries. The CDF document is relevant to all, but it was directed not to the Protestant community per se, but in a particular way to those who find themselves separated from the Church due to misunderstandings surrounding the teachings of VII. (Like the SSPX)

Maybe you can tell me: What was the purpose of Larry King’s poll? I didn’t watch his show, but I bet he wasn’t defending the Church!

Do you really think our Holy Father to be so stupid as to issue such an important document for “no particular reason”? I find wanting to correct an abusive relativistic interpretation of Vatican II to be a sufficient reason. Also, as he indicated in the recent motu proprio, he wants to address the issues that the SSPX have with Vatican II to help bring them into communion.

There was a question. Ever since Vatican II many people had been asserting that the use of the phrase “subsists in” in Lumen Gentium changed the Church’s doctrine on the Church and got rid of the belief that the Catholic Church is the One True Church Christ established. This approach resulted in relativism and the view that “all religions are equal.” The Pope wanted to put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

I’m sure I’ll be attacked here as supporting the nebulous “false ecuminism” or being a “relativist”, but it’s not about me believing all religions to be equal or not believing our Church to be the deposit of truth. It is simply about human relations and how one conveys the Word of God and the message of Jesus to a needy world. I’m one of those, as a Franciscan, who believes that Francis’s command to “preach the gospel always; use words if necessary” isn’t compatible with this kind of statement.

Well, perhaps you do not believe in false ecumenism or relativism, but there are many Catholics who do thanks to modernist theologians’ interpretation of Vatican II.

Putting people on the defensive through triumphalistic statements is not the way to inspire conversion and/or transformation. Modeling the gospel as Francis did, and as Jesus did, in a non-confrontational way, is still the only way to show the beauty of the love of God.

Peace,

I disagree that Jesus was “non-confrontational.” Jesus never hesitated to rebuke the pharisees and the hypocrites, nor did He hesitate to assert that “No one comes to the Father except through Me.” I also disagree that St. Francis was “non-confrontational.” Isn’t it true that St. Francis boldly proclaimed the Gospel to the sultan? Do you think St. Francis neglected to tell the sultan that belief in Christ was necessary for salvation? The sultan turned out to be impressed with his sincerity.

I agree with you that triumphalism is not the way to convert people, but I do not believe that stating clearly and sincerely what you believe in charity is triumphalistic. If you believe that the document is triumphalistic, please quote from the document because I did not see a hint of triumphalism in it.

Also, like I said before, this document wasn’t aimed at non-Catholics but at Catholics who advocate a false ecumenism based on a false and relativistic interpretation of Vatican II. In my opinion Pope Benedict has made it clear that his first priority is not ecumenism (though that is important) but dealing with issues within the Church, especially concerning the interpretation of Vatican II. I think this document has to be seen in that context.

Pax tecum

No, that’s not what he said. “Godless” was being used to describe liberals, not protestants. He did not say that “the Catholic Church is always the victim.” And he did not say that “everyone else is the son of satan.”

Are you disputing that the Holy Catholic Church and what She stands for are despised by many liberals and protestants in this country?

I think you overreacted a little bit too much to his post. Perhaps you were reading a little bit too much into it?:slight_smile:

No, I didn’t miss the context of the document, and I am fully aware of the ongoing misinterpretations about “subsist”. I am also very aware that the Pope previously and very clearly answered this question while still a cardinal as head of the Congregation for the Faith.

As far as pointing out anything to the SSPX, they are well aware of the situation.

Regardless of whether there even was a need for the statement–which I truly don’t believe there was–or whether there was a need for this particular timing–which I again do not believe there was–it is in my mind not only a huge human relations gaffe which could do nothing but pick at scabs that didn’t need to be picked at, but is almost surely counter-productive to any genuine attempt to help people focus on the message of Christ that the Church tries to proclaim.

In my mind, it is just another iteration of the type of statement that angered the Muslim world for no reason, and makes me wonder if anyone is really thinking through the consequences of these things before they come out.

Jesus showed us how to proclaim the Kingdom, and I just don’t see this being along those lines. Some may think that we can embarass people into conversion, or beat them into submission. My study of history, the gospel, and psychology doesn’t find that to be the case.

That’s one big set of dice to roll, waiting till the end to find out! Wow, I wish you the best with that, you will be in my prayers.

~Liza

Which is exactly what the Pope did. You sound like you are ashamed the Church has such a docteine, more or less proclaims it.

Oh, and you forgot one more thing…I wonder how many of these respondants even know anything about the Catholic Church other than what they see in the “news”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.