Lashing of Saudi 13 year old girl

Saudi Teen Sentenced to 90 Lashes for Cell Phone in School
**foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583440,00.html **
A teenage girl in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to 90 lashes and two months in prison for taking a cell phone to school, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
The 13-year-old’s punishment, harsher than that given to some robbers and looters, requires her to be flogged in front of her classmates, the Daily Mail quoted Saudi newspaper Al-Watan.
She was reportedly hiding a cell phone in class, breaking strict Saudi regulations banning their use in girls’ schools.
Saudi Arabia is the world’s leading country in the use of torture-by-flogging, and religious police keep a close watch over public behavior, the Mail reported.
In September, twenty Saudi teenagers who ransacked shops and restaurants were flogged in public.

Wow, I guess everyone is ok with this?

I’m not.

It is according to traditional Islamic sense of morality, is it not?

not ok with it but unfortunately this kind of draconian punishment goes on all the time in Saudi. Can’t wait for all their oil to run out so we can stop doing business with them and they can fade back into the desert.

Try that on my children and I’d be on the news live with a heading like “Man holds off police with firearms while barricaded in family home.”

I doubt that anyone in their right mind is ok with it, but there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it either

It doesn't sound too unappealling to me, to have these rowdy teenagers lashed for using cell phones in class. Granted, this one was only 13, wasn't actually using the cell phone, and fewer than 10 lashes probably would've been sufficient (90 is quite a lot).

But we can all console ourselves with the fact that, if things go as they have gone recently, in about 50 or so years these people will be just as undiscipolened, slovenly, and probaby obese as we are; they're kids will all have cell phones by age 8, learning will be last on their priority list (as it is for 98% of Americans) and they will, by the age of 16, believe with an unshakable certainty, as American teenagers do, that the world belongs entirely them, that human existence is simply a movie of which they are the protagonist.

Maybe the Arabians should reconsider the fairness of their penal code, but the **last **thing we westerners should be worrying about is too much discipline, too harsh punishments: American children today are simply animals.

it sounds terrible to me, and I can't think Jesus would want to see a child flogged seeing as he was tortured this way

[quote="Dionysus, post:7, topic:184232"]
It doesn't sound too unappealling to me, to have these rowdy teenagers lashed for using cell phones in class. Granted, this one was only 13, wasn't actually using the cell phone, and fewer than 10 lashes probably would've been sufficient (90 is quite a lot).

But we can all console ourselves with the fact that, if things go as they have gone recently, in about 50 or so years these people will be just as undiscipolened, slovenly, and probaby obese as we are; they're kids will all have cell phones by age 8, learning will be last on their priority list (as it is for 98% of Americans) and they will, by the age of 16, believe with an unshakable certainty, as American teenagers do, that the world belongs entirely them, that human existence is simply a movie of which they are the protagonist.

Maybe the Arabians should reconsider the fairness of their penal code, but the **last **thing we westerners should be worrying about is too much discipline, too harsh punishments: American children today are simply animals.

[/quote]

Quite the message for someone who goes by the handle Dionysus.

I doubt that anyone in their right mind is ok with it, but there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it either

Agreed, but these are our "allies."

John

[quote="Dionysus, post:7, topic:184232"]

[/quote]

IT's true....as someone who has taught in inner city schools it is definitely true. Nothing like having a kid some right up to your face and spit in you for asking her to please sit down and then having the principal say:"she must have been having a bad day. Let's give her time to cool down and bring her back to class in a half hour."

My 75 year old neighbor lady can show you the bends in her fingers where a nun broke them with a ruler 60 years ago...so we're not all that far removed in a way.

I doubt that nuns were the only ones who smacked kids with a ruler

Every time you post your anti catholic bias shows.....

Yes, I think you have something here. I oftentimes wonder at why American students are texting in class, listening to music while the teacher is trying to teach something, and they have both ears plugged into an MP3 player. Its no wonder that the USA is going down the drain.

Lashing, prison ordered for Saudi teen

2 hrs 36 mins ago

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – A teenage girl has been sentenced to a 90-lash flogging and two months in prison as punishment for assaulting a teacher, a Saudi judge said in an interview published Sunday.

Human rights group Amnesty International said the assault happened after the girl was caught with a camera phone at school.

The teenager's name was not immediately available. She could be spared with a pardon from King Abdullah, said Judge Riyadh al-Meihdib.

"The verdict was read out to her at the court and she did not object," al-Meihdib told Al-Watan, a national Saudi daily newspaper.

He said the teacher refused to forgive the girl, who will not appeal the case. Camera phones are banned at the school.

Al-Watan quoted the school headmaster describing the girl as "about twenty" years old.

However, Amnesty said the girl is 13.

In a statement Friday, the London-based rights watchdog urged Abdullah to "intervene immediately to ensure that the flogging sentence is rescinded."

"He must also take steps to reform Saudi Arabian law and criminal procedure to ban the use of cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment, in particular floggings of children," Amnesty interim Secretary General Claudio Cordone said.
             Judge al-Meihdib said his court will issue instructions to local authorities in Jubail to carry out the sentence within two days.

Jubail is located on the Red Sea. Its court sentenced the teenager with the harsh punishment Tuesday.

(This version CORRECTS lead to show girl was sentenced to two months, instead of years, in jail.)

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=418015

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:15, topic:184232"]
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=418015

[/quote]

Thanks! I missed the original post! :)

This is horrendous by any standard. However, if I was in a situation where people like this told me not to bring in a cell phone, I wouldn't bring in a cell phone. I would smile and do what the nice people tell me to do. :rolleyes:

Michael Fay was caned in Singapore for spray painting a car in 1993. The punishment is incredibly excessive but I don't think Fay spray painted any cars after that.

I went to an extremely strict all-Catholic school near, it was strict the teachers were hard and as I came from an inner-city background I thank them for it. The idea that nuns and brothers went about routinely breaking bones and engaging in sadism has gained currency via a number of urban myths and poorly written books over the years. Did the occassional priest, brother or nun behave in a less than fair way, no doubt, did they represent norm? No.

I wonder what would have happened to the kid who threw a desk at me a couple of years ago?

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:19, topic:184232"]
I wonder what would have happened to the kid who threw a desk at me a couple of years ago?

[/quote]

Probably working security for the SIEU

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.