Last Judgement and Purgatory

During the Last Judgement, Jesus will come again to judge the living and the dead with perfect justice. Those who accepted Christ (as well as the righteous ignorant) will go to Heaven, those who rejected Christ will go to Hell.

If you were already in Heaven then you go back there, and same thing if you were already in Hell. But what if you are in neither?

Say Last Judgement comes and you are in Purgatory. In this example you have led a heinously sinful life for most of your life and only avoided damnation because you repented and reached perfect contrition in the last year of your life, so under normal circumstances it would take a really long time before you are purified of your sin and ready for Heaven.

But it’s judgement day, and Christ is going to judge the Living and the Dead, and you are part of the latter group. So what happens? Do you go back to Purgatory, or do you go to Heaven with an unpurified soul?

I think you are making an assumption here that all who are saved at the second coming get to skip over Purgatory. No where does it say if you are a believer at the second coming you get to go straight to heaven. If we still have a tendency to sin (or unpurified soul) as you state then we are in need of and should want to be purified by Christ before entering into heaven. I sure as heck want to be clean.

On a side note the Church does not teach that Purgatory is a place or takes time, it is more of a state. So we have no way of knowing how long this guy will be there.

God Bless

You will know your fate at the particular judgement , so that if you were in purgatory right before the Last Judgement, then you will be judged as we all will be at the Last Judgement . If you’re unrepenent and nonbelieving at the time of your death with mortal sins, you’ll be damned and won’t even see purgatory. Those in purgatory are not damned, they’ll be with the Lord eventually, some sooner than others. So yes, pray for the souls in purgatory, but also have peace and joy in your heart that they’ll be where we all want to be ultimately, at the feet of the Lord and seeing the light of his face . Be prepared for the Lords judgement at any time and stay in His good graces God bless you, and keep praying.

ps; anyone correct me if im mistaken, but im pretty sure purgatory will cease to exist after the Last Judgement

Yeah, I don’t see a need for purgatory after Christ comes back to judge the living and the dead.
Christ Himself can purify the souls of those who are not finished. He doesn’t need to put them through another “rinse & spin cycle”. :wink:

The situation on Earth by the time of Second Advent will be so chaotic that purgatory will blend with Earth.

By that time will be a very small minority of people who will be saved.

People will receive the Last Judgment while alive.

And the time in Purgatory is different from time on earth. Or there’s no time at all like already said.

We do not know anything about time and purgatory.

Jesus can change them just as he will change those still living.

Death and the abode of death (Hades) are destroyed at the end of time.

There will be no need for Purgatory at the end of time. No Purgatory will exist then as all suffering for the elect will be gone (and people in Purgatory are among the elect).

**But before the end of time . . . **.

But before the end of time there will be some extreme trials leading up to this “end of time” for the faithful as well.

These rough trials will be via the form of an earthly “pseudo-messianism”. A mere political deliverance of the people, in the form of a “religious deception”.

And it sounds like there will be plenty of suffering for Christians to offer up then too through the “persecution” we will receive.

A sort of . . . Purgatory on earth perhaps? I just don’t know the details.

The Church’s ultimate trial

CCC 675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576

Then comes Christ’s Second Coming. That will usher in the General Judgment.

Also incidentally, at the end of time, every human person gets a body back.

But no more Purgatory after the end of time.

God bless.

Cathoholic

As we sit here this moment, there is sooooo much religious deception today that people fall into or have fallen into. Example, Look how many fall/fell away from the Eucharist.

The deception that happens near the second coming will be much different than any kind of deception we see now, it will be big, I think something will happen to cause lots of people to believe the bible is wrong and God does not exist or a cleverly disguised plan that gives credit for our creation to something other than God (personally I think aliens will play a part in this), I think a lot of people could be easily convinced some advanced extraterrestrial race created us as an experiment, heck I know a couple people who already believe this and one of them thinks we should be worshiping them.

Whatever the deception is, it will cause laws to be changed, Christianity must become outlawed for persecution to take place. There may be lots of deception now, but its still perfectly legal to be a christian, no churches are being shut down, people rounded up due to their beliefs, etc.

I think many people will give in to this deception for the sake of avoiding legal problems, to save their own skin.

Here’s a what if.

Would you agree that hell is hell, and no one goes there unless they commit serious sin and die in that sin?

If someone leaves the Eucharist for example, ignoring all the clear warnings and consequences for doing so #[FONT=&quot]22 , [/FONT]and they go to hell, is such deception they fell into any less of a deception than any deception at the end of the world might be?

When a person dies THAT is the end of the world for THEM. There’s no waiting around for some final cataclysmic world event whenever that occurs. When someone dies, the world ended for THEM at their death. And if they go to hell for what they did, it is for eternity. No purgatory for them, they go straight to hell.

From what I understand the second coming/ end of the world as we know it, will involve everyone, even those who have been dead 1000s of years, its the point where they will all receive ‘glorified bodies’, its also the point where their sins becme known to ALL.

Right now, NO ONE has glorified bodies.

So while their death may be the end of their world in one aspect, the real end of the world will be much different.

What will happen with those who are still alive at the second coming?

They will be changed in the twinkling of an eye - see Saint Paul 1 Corinthians 15:51-52

One can say the same for those who would otherwise be being purified via purgatory.

See also Pope Benedict XVI on Purgatory in Spe Salvi

Condensing a big subject into as few sentences as I can :wink:

The soul being immortal , it lives forever. The question is WHERE will that be. At death of the body, the soul is immediately judged and either goes

[LIST]
*]to heaven,
*]or maybe a shortstop in purgatory before heaven,
*]or the soul goes immediately to hell.
[/LIST]

At the end of the world, (the resurrection of the body, everyone who has ever lived) , body and soul are reunited.

[LIST]
*]If the soul was in heaven, they are now body and soul in heaven.
*]if the soul was in hell, they are now body and soul in hell
*]purgatory ceases to exist. No more births no more deaths no more judgements. Souls who were in purgatory at the last judgement are reunited with their bodies and go to heaven
[/LIST]

But then wouldn’t the souls in Purgatory go to heaven without first being purified?

What will happen with those who are still alive at the second coming?

They will be changed in the twinkling of an eye - see Saint Paul 1 Corinthians 15:51-52

One can say the *same *for those who would otherwise be being purified via purgatory.

See also Pope Benedict XVI on Purgatory in Spe Salvi

Purification can happen “in the twinkling of an eye”

AFTER the General Judgment of course.

And “in heaven” must include the reality of the “new heavens and new earth” being together…

I would ask, isn’t that a distinction without a difference? I say it that way because Purgatory has purified them. In the next life there is no clock. No minutes, hours, weeks, months, years, eons etc. It’s just the eternal now. Therefore, we can’t think of the next life as if there IS a clock. We don’t know how fast or slow one is purified, when there is no clock in the afterlife.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.