Last minute list of things to do for Christmas

December 23--Christmas is almost here. So here I sit holding a baby while trying to avoid panic.

Baked Christmas cookies (again) this morning. Now I must guard them in the final hours, lest my husband and children eat them all (again). When we were engaged, I remember my husband snuck me into where his mom stored her Christmas cookies and looted a few from her stock. I should have recognized it as a sign of things to come....

Cleaned bathroom this morning too. Will have to do final check before company arrives on Christmas Eve.

There still the wrapping to do. Arg. Another good reason for simplicity in gift giving at Christmas is to limit the amount of wrapping needed.

We still need to hang our stockings by the Chimney with care. The kids found the candy I had stashed away, so I need to make a last minute run for stuffings. Note to self--next year persuade children to give up candy for advent and find better hiding spot.

Before I make that last minute run for stocking stuffings, I have to check what else I need from the store. I'm sure that I've forgotten something. Oh yes, need wrapping paper and beverages. And do I have all the gifts bought for the extended family gift exchange? Double check that.

Hmm, then there's vacuuming and dusting still to do.
And sweeping the floor. And general tidying. Wondering how soon to do this because my kids can take the house from clean to messy in 5.7 seconds.

And I need to check CAF threads of interest often and spend valuable time posting. I don't really know why I need to do that but somehow I just do...which is why I decided to post my to do list here on CAF.

Merry Christmas!

[quote="gardenswithkids, post:1, topic:180715"]
Hmm, then there's vacuuming and dusting still to do.
And sweeping the floor. And general tidying. Wondering how soon to do this because my kids can take the house from clean to messy in 5.7 seconds.

!

[/quote]

clean after the guests leave, not before. when they come have the kids stringing popcorn, decorating cookies, wrapping presents or making decorations--any messy activity--so guests will think mess is from the kids' recent activity in the last 20 minutes, not the accumulation of a few days. Dim the lights--just turn on the tree and some electric candles or put 40 watt bulbs in the lamps--you did remember to have your guests arrive after dark, I hope. cover every surface with decorations, spread out Christmas cards, anything to cover up the dust. Any toys left on the floor shove under the tree so it looks like planned decor.

pick up some slice and bake cookies while you are at the store, you have done enough scratch baking for one year.

DD's MIL buys bakery cookies and a bunch of tins from the dollar store, mixes the cookies in the tins, and never says a word, so we are all supposed to think she baked from scratch, but they taste great so nobody minds.

Christmas for me does not involve too much from me as working in a parish I spend most of the time before Christmas at work. The rest of the office has off tomorrow but I will be there from 8 AM until after the third vigil Mass. If I don't totally crash I will probably go back to work for midnight. So if anything happens at home before Christmas with regarding to family everyone else has to do it. My daughter is flying in tomorrow morning at 7AM and I will not even see her until Christmas morning since she is going to her boyfriend's parents for Christmas Eve dinner and festivities. At least my pastor lets me take off Christmas morning to spend with my family which is kind of rare for people who do the work I do in the parish.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:180715"]
clean after the guests leave, not before. when they come have the kids stringing popcorn, decorating cookies, wrapping presents or making decorations--any messy activity--so guests will think mess is from the kids' recent activity in the last 20 minutes, not the accumulation of a few days. Dim the lights--just turn on the tree and some electric candles or put 40 watt bulbs in the lamps--you did remember to have your guests arrive after dark, I hope. cover every surface with decorations, spread out Christmas cards, anything to cover up the dust. Any toys left on the floor shove under the tree so it looks like planned decor. ...

[/quote]

LOL! Love those housekeeping tips Annie! Drat, we invited the guests over before dark.

[quote="Joannm, post:3, topic:180715"]
Christmas for me does not involve too much from me as working in a parish I spend most of the time before Christmas at work. The rest of the office has off tomorrow but I will be there from 8 AM until after the third vigil Mass. If I don't totally crash I will probably go back to work for midnight. So if anything happens at home before Christmas with regarding to family everyone else has to do it. My daughter is flying in tomorrow morning at 7AM and I will not even see her until Christmas morning since she is going to her boyfriend's parents for Christmas Eve dinner and festivities. At least my pastor lets me take off Christmas morning to spend with my family which is kind of rare for people who do the work I do in the parish.

[/quote]

Thank you on behalf of the Catholics who benefit from your work at the parish. I think our church secretary/office manager is fantastic, and I'd nominate her for sainthood (if she weren't still alive.)

Have a wonderful Christmas with your daughter!

Well, I’m making progress on my list of things to do. (Especially that last point about checking threads on Catholic Answers…)

When I can tear myself away from the computer and baby holding, I should wrap. Except I’m getting tired and the baby wants to be held and it’s hard to wrap presents with one hand. Maybe I should go to bed early and finish tomorrow.

How’s everyone else doing on your last minute Christmas activities?

Well, the tree still isn’t up if that’s any indication, lol! But everything is wrapped so the worst is over. I still have one gift to finish making–a decoupage photo frame for my daughter that got back earlier from a semester abroad.(It has Italian print, maps and stamps on it…) But that’s like fun to me not work. No cookies baked, received a couple of plates full from people so no need to do that right now either. :thumbsup:

In the end, it isn’t about any of those things, so they really don’t matter. We will be off to midnight mass tonight and begin singing-- Glory to the the newborn King!
A merry and blessed Christmas to all!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.