Last night on The History Channel "Books banned from the Bible

Did anyone happen to see the Books Banned from Bible on the History Channel last night? Once again they use so called authorities to discuss things and I don’t think one of them were Catholic. However I was recooperating from the flu and slept through part of it. They kept talking about The Church, but no one would come out and say The Catholic Church. The mentioned Bishops getting together to decide what books should be in the bible, but implied that they were form different churches, ie, as in protestant. Hello they didn’t exist until what the 1500’s. Maybe in my funk from the flu I misunderstood what they were trying to say. Anyone out there see it?

Did not know it was on. I would of probably watched if. I checked Yahoo TV and did not see it scheduled for a later date.

PF

I saw parts of it…it was ok

These specialty channels have a lot of air time to fill and typically like to create a false sensation or otherwise titillate the audience to make sure that they stay tuned through the commercial break. “Coming up next Eve’s Canapes from the forbidden Book of Parties”

the two assertions that seemed most odd
(1) Constantine ordered the compilation of the bible just so he could have pretty books to display in the new churches he was building in Constantinople and
(2) that there were on two fragmentary remains of ancient bibles and that they didn’t correspond with each other or with the current Bible and that “no one knew” which was the right one. :rolleyes:

Like I said I didn’t see all of it. Typically they have one expert who knows what he is talking about and eventually present it but it is lost in the noise sometimes.

what was interesting was the claim that some of the text from the“banned” books show up in the Koran. I had this vision of Mohamed visiting a used scroll store and saying “Wow, the folks back home will love this!” :wink:

I have it DVR’d, but probably won’t get around to watching it for a few more days. I’ll post a small review if anything interesting is presented.

As a life-long student of WWII I can tell you that the once-respected History Channel has become a completely unreliable source of historical fact. They have even turned down offers from archives who wanted to act as unpaid sources to help them ensure the accuracy of their programming. They get it wrong, they know they get it wrong, and they do not care about getting it right.

many of the technically oriented channels seem to do this

it drives me nuts to see the amount of pseudo-science that shows up on Discover or TLC :frowning:

kinda discouraging.

I guess that is the danger of trying to be all one topic all the time

The only channel worth watching in my cable service is Animal Planet, and occiasionally Cartoon Network. End of story. :slight_smile:

I saw the program. I feel it was put together to get ratings. Certainly not for the sake of truth, for if they had wanted truth they would have come to The Catholic Church.

[quote=Ghosty]The only channel worth watching in my cable service is Animal Planet, and occiasionally Cartoon Network. End of story. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

LOL…And how much exactly are you paying for this each month??

I pay for cable internet, the TV is just a perk :slight_smile:

[quote=2shelbys]As a life-long student of WWII I can tell you that the once-respected History Channel has become a completely unreliable source of historical fact. They have even turned down offers from archives who wanted to act as unpaid sources to help them ensure the accuracy of their programming. They get it wrong, they know they get it wrong, and they do not care about getting it right.
[/quote]

I concur wholeheartedly. Although they still have some shows rooted in history (e.g. the battlefield investigations) far too many are like the Books banned. They are sensationalistic not scholastic.

[quote=steveandersen]I saw parts of it…it was ok

These specialty channels have a lot of air time to fill and typically like to create a false sensation or otherwise titillate the audience to make sure that they stay tuned through the commercial break. “Coming up next Eve’s Canapes from the forbidden Book of Parties”

the two assertions that seemed most odd
(1) Constantine ordered the compilation of the bible just so he could have pretty books to display in the new churches he was building in Constantinople and
(2) that there were on two fragmentary remains of ancient bibles and that they didn’t correspond with each other or with the current Bible and that “no one knew” which was the right one. :rolleyes:

Like I said I didn’t see all of it. Typically they have one expert who knows what he is talking about and eventually present it but it is lost in the noise sometimes.

what was interesting was the claim that some of the text from the“banned” books show up in the Koran. I had this vision of Mohamed visiting a used scroll store and saying “Wow, the folks back home will love this!” :wink:
[/quote]

I watched the show and taped it. I don’t believe you are correct in what you stated about Constantine. the" Church" is the Catholic church. The Bishops were called together to decide on the Cannon of the Bible. I thought it was entertaining and that the experts, which I’ve seen in other documentaries,( not just on the History channel) were quite clear in saying that some of the things they said were just theory and what they think “might” have happened. I had never heard about some of these books they spoke of and had always wondered what a “Gnostic was” I thought the author of “The Gnostic Bible” was quite good at explaining what the Gnostics believed, and in turn why a lot of the books didn’t make it into the new teatament (for instance the Book of The Revelation of Peter as apposed to the Revelation of John. And unless I see it on EWTN I take everything with a grain of salt.

[quote=maryj]I thought it was entertaining and that the experts were quite clear in saying that some of the things they said were just theory and what they think “might” have happened.
[/quote]

This is a bothersome trend in documentaries. Just tonight I watched a show on the pyramids where they spent 15 minutes with an expert saying “maybe this” and “maybe that.” At the end she wrapped it all up by saying, “and all this may have just been lost to the ages.” I don’t mind speculation so much, but not everyone catches all those “mights” and “maybes” and they walk away thinking it is verified fact. I’m sure the same thing applies to Bible show being discussed. How many people turned off the TV accepting as fact things that were purely speculation?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.