Late for Church?

**Disabled NY man abandoned on icy bus **

Ed Rivera, 22, spent New Year’s Eve night in 15 degrees Fahrenheit (minus nine degrees Celsius) temperatures strapped into an empty bus after the overseer allegedly decided to leave him behind, police said.

Rivera suffers from cerebral palsy and reportedly has the mental capacity of a two year old.

The bus matron left Rivera sleeping in his seat “because she was late for church,” the Daily News quoted sources as saying. “She knew he was there. She was hoping one of the other workers would notice him.”

Full Article: rawstory.com/news/afp/Disabled_NY_man_abandoned_on_icy_bu_01022009.html

Btw, in later news she was fired: nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/01/02/2009-01-02_matron_fired_for_leaving_mentally_disabl.html

Anyway, lovely. Though this reminds me very much of the Mary & Martha story, where one neglects their responsibilities but gets blessings.

*"But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."* Luke 11:40-42

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.