Late religous vocations

Do you think if we are say 40 to 50 years old ,it may be possible to join the Franscicans or Dominican orders?

Is it always compulsory that we should have to study at Uni if we join the orders ,or can we join and not have to study?

The age limit varies from community to community. Some have upper age limits, some do not, some will consider older vocations on a case-to-case basis. That is something that has to be asked of a community individually.

I don't know about studying, again there may well be differences between communities. It could depend on their apostolate.

You do not need to study if you just want to be a religious brother without taking orders

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:2, topic:278914"]
The age limit varies from community to community. Some have upper age limits, some do not, some will consider older vocations on a case-to-case basis. That is something that has to be asked of a community individually.

I don't know about studying, again there may well be differences between communities. It could depend on their apostolate.

[/quote]

Hello there,

What exactly is meant by a case to case basis? Does that mean that they judge each individual i.e. present before them? Me for instance, I’m 60 years old since 9th February but nobody believes me. Most people take me for about 40 years old or less. I’ve had to produce my birth certificate on a few occasions, and even then there was some doubt that it was my own.

Anyway, I’m so attracted to spiritual things i.e. meditation/prayer, reading, very early rising. The only thing I couldn’t leave at the moment are my two cats, I must care for them personally.

2 Cor 13:13
Eddy Barry

Yup, case by case means that they take each case individually. Best thing is to just contact the communities you are interested in and go from there.

[quote="Danuska, post:3, topic:278914"]
You do not need to study if you just want to be a religious brother without taking orders

[/quote]

Not exactly. Most Franciscan communities require either a university degree or an equivalent in work experience. Depending on the ministry, you may need a higher degree. I'm a religious brother and I had to get an STD in Ascetical and Mystical Theology. We have brothers with Master's, Doctorates, Bachelors, technical degrees or diplomas. It all depends on the needs of the community and the gifts of the individual.

We have brothers who cook and have PhDs. We have one brother in our community who is the maintenance man for our pregnancy centers and he's a priest, who only celebrates mass. His time is spent with the plumbing and then we have a brother who is not a priest who is a theologian who teaches at the seminary and another who is not a priest and is a parish administrator.

There are brothers who are very gifted with certain skills such as carpentry, sewing, cooking, auto mechanics, gardening. The more they learn in those fields, the more they can do for the community.

You may have the brother who is the accountant and he's a CPA or one like Br.David Sumasy, who is an MD, PhD in Theology and PhD in Medical Ethics, but he's not a priest. He practices internal medicine at a large hospital and serves on several board in medical ethics. Then there are brothers like the late Br. Jim Townsend, who never went past High School, but had so many skills, that it was not necessary to send him for further studies. He was a great public speaker and preacher. He preached retreats, gave spiritual talks, and fixed anything that was broken.

There is no fixed level of studies for Franciscans. All are brothers, ordained or not and all bring different gifts with them and are educated according to those gifts.

By the way "just a religious brother" is quite offensive to brothers, especially Franciscan brothers, because our founder was never a priest. Legend had it that he was a deacon. Recent historical writings have shed some light on this and apparently he was never a deacon either. No one would ever call Father Francis of Assisi, "just a brother."

We have brothers who are superiors, theologians, carpenters, novice masters, seminary rectors, cooks, physicians, missionaries, spiritual directors and many other things. But they all have one thing in common. They are all sons of Father Francis of Assisi, who was "just a brother."

I hope this helps.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

Thanks Br JR for your post.

God bless

[quote="Steady_Eddy, post:4, topic:278914"]
Hello there,

What exactly is meant by a case to case basis? Does that mean that they judge each individual i.e. present before them? Me for instance, I’m 60 years old since 9th February but nobody believes me. Most people take me for about 40 years old or less. I’ve had to produce my birth certificate on a few occasions, and even then there was some doubt that it was my own.

Anyway, I’m so attracted to spiritual things i.e. meditation/prayer, reading, very early rising. The only thing I couldn’t leave at the moment are my two cats, I must care for them personally.

2 Cor 13:13
Eddy Barry

[/quote]

:highprayer::crossrc: My brother, I (58yrs) had looked for 3yrs now and yes all told me the same thing, but I did found out I can take vows with a bishop and be his hermit and have followers, thus an order of brothers. if you wanted to be a priest then you can talk to the bishop and may become one. All this is in Canon Law #603. So now I have done just that and am looking for others that want to become:

Divine Mercy Brothers of Our Lady of Guadalupe DMB
For all men that were called by God but
men said you were too old,
may come and serve our Lord as Divine Mercy Brothers
We hope to become diocesan hermits for a bishop (Austin Tx)
and take vows with him and our charism will be the
Divine Mercy chaplet for souls, sick, dying and purgatory
We will be semi- cloistered, going out only for mass,
Eucharist adoration, praying for sick, food, and laundry
Any questions write to
[email]divinemercybrsfo@yahoo.com[/email] Facebook; divine mercy brothers
blog; dmbsfo.blogspot,com

:highprayer::signofcross::crossrc:

[quote="Danuska, post:3, topic:278914"]

[/quote]

This, just as with age limits, varies from community to community.

No one can really answer these questions here.

The best place to find answers if from the vocation directors of the communities themselves.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.