Late-term abortions now illegal in Kentucky; ultrasounds required

FRANKFORT, Ky. – Gov. Matt Bevin quietly signed bills into law Saturday evening that ban late-term abortions and require women seeking abortions to undergo ultrasounds.

kentuckytoday.com/stories/late-term-abortions-now-illegal-in-kentucky-ultrasounds-required,6337

Were there a lot of late term abortions occurring in KY? By far most abortions in the US occur in the first trimester. I typically don’t insult the intelligence of women. I believe women know the implications of an abortion with or without an ultrasound. That if they obtain a legal abortion, it terminates the pregnancy and fetus. And now a woman whose religious faith allows for some abortion choice, is being forced by government into getting an ultrasound even if it’s against her will before she can follow the dictates of her own faith.

Yes, in Kentucky. Someone needs to take into consideration the life of an unborn child.
I have absolutely no issues with the government requiring an ultrasound. Some women have been brainwashed into thinking this is just a clump of cells and an abortion is no big deal. An ultrasound to see the formation of the baby is a good plan as perhaps some mother to be will choose life upon seeing as such.

Not only that it might help women doomed to a life of regret and trauma because you can’t get a baby back once it is aborted.

Mary.

Mary.

=Sy Noe;14401792]Were there a lot of late term abortions occurring in KY? By far most abortions in the US occur in the first trimester. I typically don’t insult the intelligence of women. I believe women know the implications of an abortion with or without an ultrasound. That if they obtain a legal abortion, it terminates the pregnancy and fetus.

One is too many. I know you’re not fond of the slavery analogy (I wouldn’t be either if I were so pro-choice and it devastated my arguments) but again we could say the same thing about slaves.

Also, the fact is a lot of women do not know the implications of an abortion nor are they often making a rational one! This isn’t an academic exercise; women involved in abortions in many cases are scared or pressured into one by the likes of selfish male partners and/or parents who unsurprisingly only think about themselves. Also, it’s not like clinics that get their cash flow from Big Abortion are going to say “even though it means less profit for us, we’ll tell you the truth on the potential psychological and physical harm”.

And now a woman whose religious faith allows for some abortion choice, is being forced by government into getting an ultrasound even if it’s against her will before she can follow the dictates of her own faith.

NOW they want religious freedom. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but one is not allowed to end the life of another, even in the name of free speech and freedom of religion.

But if there is concern about that, I suggest looking into correcting the regressive left. They are trying to equate words with violence so they can respond with violence—well, against white male Christians anyway.

People used to think that Africans weren’t really human and that Natives were savages.

These are the problems ran into when one tries to define what is human and what isn’t based on personal convenience.

Yes in KY there were more late term abortions?

“In fact, the vast majority of U.S. abortions occur early in pregnancy. In 2012, 91 percent of abortions in the U.S. took place in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy, while just 1.3 percent occurred at 21 weeks or later, according to the Guttmacher Institute.”

livescience.com/56570-late-term-abortions-presidential-debate.html

The article goes on to say because later term abortions are already so rare, there is little data behind the reasons they occur at all beyond a woman’s life or health being at risk. The KY law does make an exception for the woman’s life. But it goes on to say women may have had difficulty assessing legal abortion services or needed time to save up money for the cost.

A reduction of 1 percent is significant. A reduction of 1 is significant. Every abortion involves the taking of a human life. Even the slightest reduction is therefore something praiseworthy. Coupled with his actions last year, we can be sure that Governor Bevin is truly committed to the pro life cause. This is a rare example of positive change coming through the ballot box.

Exactly! No religious freedom for The Little Sisters ,Christian entrpenuers,just for women wanting an abortion.:rolleyes:

I do hope it’s not a transvaginal ultrasound. Those are horribly invasive, especially for a woman who may have been raped. We should do everything we can to reduce abortions, but women should still be treated with dignity.

I don’t believe they are transvaginal.The Kof C have a program to
Urchase ultrasound machines for crisis pregnancy centers.They are the type that scan

The Kentucky signed legislation gives women the ability to look at the ultrasound but Planned Parenthood already require ultrasound according to the following 2012 article regarding a bill in Virginia: commentarymagazine.com/culture-civilization/planned-parenthood-abortions-ultrasounds/

So if anyone thinks its ghastly that this legislation should require that women be able to look at the ultrasound, why do you think that? Why shouldn’t the women be able to be as best informed as possible?

Actually there isn’t a Catholic woman in the US who is forced to have a legal abortion and that’s a good thing since it would be a violation of her faith. Just as no Catholic priest has been forced to celebrate a marriage between 2 people of the same gender either. With regard to employers, the matter went to what was going to be standard healthcare coverage for women, irregardless of where they are employed. Jesus said care for the sick. Not only to care for them based on where they labor. As I understand it, contraceptives are sometimes prescribed for medical conditions. The Little Sisters were given the opportunity however to sign a form for a religious exemption which would have then involved a 3rd party. I don’t see how signing a form amounts to denying religious liberty.

foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/15/denver-court-rules-against-little-sisters-poor-contraception-coverage-case.html

Baking cakes has to do with discrimination. Are cakes turned down not only for gay couples but also for anyone not of the baker’s faith? Do Catholic bakers also not bake for Jews, Muslims, atheists, or anyone else not Christian? What about for Christians who are not Catholic? Having said that, I’d go just go to another baker or floral shop and patronize them. But to just pack up and move to a different job is not always as easy.

But when you start in on employers and entrepreneurs, that is veering of the KY topic. So I shall not reply further on this thread about such topics.

Transvaginal ultrasounds are first trimester. I can only understand them being considered invasive if a woman has been raped. Otherwise, PAPs are invasive. While PAPs aren’t legally mandatory, some insurance and all OBs I have encountered treat them like they are.

Well, unlike transvaginal ultrasounds for women seeking abortions, pap smears are medically necessary. And I think it’s invasive for any woman in a desperate situation to have something shoved up there against her will by a stranger to try and emotionally manipulate her, no matter how good the intentions and goal are.

Ultrasounds are always a good idea medically. The abortionist usually uses one, they just don’t want the mother to see. (That too is emotional manipulation.) That’s why pregnancy help centers make a big deal about letting the mother see the ultrasound.

How could anything be more invasive than an abortion? If someone can’t handle an ultrasound how possibly could they handle the invasiveness of an abortion by people more than happy to take her money to do so.

Mary.

Any legislation which seeks to reduce murder is good, though hopefully with the new administration we can go about more complete legislative action to completely end murder in the womb.

I’m fine with ultrasounds, just not the transvaginal ones except when medically necessary. Sometimes they are, but often they are not. Forcing a woman to go through this in cases where it is not medically necessary for political purposes is a waste of money and a violation of her rights as a patient.

Just because she is undergoing an invasive procedure already, it’s okay to add another one that is unnecessary? I’m not pro abortion, but that logic is not sound.

Responsible abortionists already do an ultrasound, even transvaginal, because they need to see what’s going on. Yes, it’s extremely medically responsible, especially to determine if it’s ectopic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.