Late-term abortions now illegal in Kentucky; ultrasounds required

If a person’s religion allows for a choice, but doesn’t require it, then it’s not discrimination to prohibit the choice overall. For example it’s currently illegal to carry a gun in a school. The Church says nothing against carrying a gun in a school so long as you aren’t ill-intentioned but we don’t cry foul for that choice being taken away from us. (Not the greatest of examples, but I hope the point is gotten across.) As far as I know, the only reigion that I’ve ever read require an abortion was Scientology but there’s reasonable doubt as to whether or not it’ a true religion.

Actually one of things I’ve learned on this forum that I never knew before is from one of our Jewish contributers who has more than once explained and I quote, “Moreover, it is REQUIRED (his caps) to abort (not merely permissible) if the mother’s life is in danger according to Orthodox Jewish teaching.”

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=14204458&postcount=160

The entire post of his I found interesting but I just quoted the part about abortion being required in another religion other than Scientology.

Percentages can make it seem more minor than it is. I’m not sure how many late term abortions were done in Kentucky but according to the following look at CDC data, about 13,000 babies are aborted after 21 weeks. According to the following, the CDC data from 2013 found it was 5770 babies that were
aborted after 20 weeks.

I’m not sure if the CDC’s data even look at all US states, including California.

Abortion is horrendous at any stage, but after 21 weeks, at that stage of development, its barbaric.

I’ll admit I didn’t know about the Orthodox requirement. Though overall, and I suppose I did do a poor job of wording my stance. My argument is more based towards the abortion as a form of birth control or non-life-threatening cases as a secular pro-life argument is able to made for those, even if the original cause to think about the secular argument comes from a religious background. (From the reading of Meltzer’s post there isn’t a requirement from the Orthodox in a non-life threatening case even if it’s permissible.) I also realize that Catholic morality at the extreme end could never hold in a court of law. (It’d be pretty hard to secularly explain why direct abortion isn’t allowed in the ectopic case but removing the tube is.)

Well from my understanding, in their official teachings, Christian communities such as TEC, PCUSA, and ELCA don’t necessarily condone or approve of abortion for birth control. PCUSA does not expel from fellowship however a woman, who on the basis of a study of Scripture and prayerful decision, come to diverse conclusions on the issue. ELCA speaks of abortion only til viability except when the life of the woman or fetus is at risk.

pewforum.org/2013/01/16/religious-groups-official-positions-on-abortion/

But I’m tired of talking about abortion today. So I think I will take a page from Pope Francis’s playbook and not talk about it for the rest of the day.

Pope Francis:

“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time."

“We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”

americamagazine.org/pope-interview

I think a lot of people are fatigued from talking about abortion by now. Just proves its not as settled as some may hope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.