Late to Mass???

Hey all,

I was late to mass today by accident. I came in right before “May the Lord accept this sacrifice…” . I am never late, but I understand if you are there before the consecration it is still okay. I feel terrible and it was not intentional and it is not something I have ever done before, nor will do again. I just want to know if I am in sin?? I guess I need some reassurance…thanks for your input.

peace

Hello.

I don’t know if you are “in sin”. But what I have come to understand ( and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong), is that it is acceptable to receive Communion if you arrive before the Offertory.

That’s what I have heard thru the grapevine to be correct. BUT, GOD KNOWS things come up, accidents happen, pampers need to be changed, etc etc. God knows our hearts and our intent. Intent is the key to everything.

In Christ,
Michelle

It probably was a venial sin. I don’t think being that late to Mass satisfies the Sunday obligation (I think you have to be there for the Gospel and the consecration for it to ‘count’), so ordinarily, if you didn’t go to to another Mass that day, it would be a mortal sin (I think- I’m not sure there’s actually a rule on this though), however, if you honestly did not know that it does not satisfy the Sunday obligation, then it doesn’t count as a mortal sin- just try not to be late again.

If it was a mistake and not intentional then there is nothing to worry about my friend.

What i would suggest is that you contemplate going to evening Mass this evening to ‘make it up’ to the Lord.

I know if I was that late I would probably turn on my heels and waith for another. there again that is I would ‘probably’.

I remember as an Altar server being told that if you made it in before the Gospel you were ok. If not you had an obligation to make it up at another Mass.

Since you did not know this it doesn’t really apply. It would be nice if you did ‘make it up’ however. :wink:

I believe a big part of this is “why were you so late?” If you were busy watching your favorite TV show and forgot to leave for Mass, yes, you have sinned. But if you stopped to help someone in distress along the freeway, no it’s not a sin. If at possible, it would be good to try to find a later Mass so you could have attended the whole thing. Talk to your priest to find out what you should do…confess it, or forget it.

Thanks…
We have a newborn preemie and a 19 month old. My parents who are not practicing catholics were coming over to visit, Sunday is my dad’s only day off and we usually do a family dinner when they do come over. So, I thought that another parish had a 1:30 mass, great. I’d go and be back. My husband and I have to go to separate masses as it is because we can’t take our preemie out in large crowds. They went to Sat. vigil. So, I thought this would work out better for everyone and boy, did I blow it. Anyway, I can’t go to another make up mass but I am going to try to spend quiet time in adoration of the blessed sacrament. I feel bad and embarassed.

peace

If you were making your best, sincere effort to make it to a Mass at a time which you thought you could, then there is no fault on your part. Things happen. Maybe you had the times confused. You seem to have tried to make up for it by spending additional time in prayer. If you just got careless or intentionally put it off, then there may be a problem which needs to be addressed.

[quote=Monicathree]I am going to try to spend quiet time in adoration of the blessed sacrament. I feel bad and embarassed.

[/quote]

This thought and action of love has brought great joy to the heart of God who longs to see you before Him. Do not feel bad, do not feel embarrased, rather feel loved and cherished by Almighty God who awaits your arrival in the Adoration Chapel…

[quote=Monicathree]Thanks…
We have a newborn preemie and a 19 month old. My parents who are not practicing catholics were coming over to visit, Sunday is my dad’s only day off and we usually do a family dinner when they do come over. So, I thought that another parish had a 1:30 mass, great. I’d go and be back. My husband and I have to go to separate masses as it is because we can’t take our preemie out in large crowds. They went to Sat. vigil. So, I thought this would work out better for everyone and boy, did I blow it. Anyway, I can’t go to another make up mass but I am going to try to spend quiet time in adoration of the blessed sacrament. I feel bad and embarassed.

peace
[/quote]

There was no sin in this–it was a simple mistake. You had a serious enough reason to put off going to Mass – your newborn child. The fact that you made a mistake as to when the Mass actually was can’t be held against you.

thank you so much for your honesty and advice. I love the community we have here at CA.

peace

Monicathree, you committed no sin, venial or otherwise. If you missed Mass altogether to take care of your child, that would have been no sin, either. The Lord does not expect the impossible from us.

As for me and my situation - my wife is Latina. People from Latin countries do not have the North American frame of mind when it comes to being on time. It is impossible to get them to understand it, either. I have been late more times than I care to remember, although it is usually about five minutes.

The Spanish Mass in Pittsburgh is scheduled to begin at 11:30 AM. It usually does not begin untill 11:45 or ten minutes 'til noon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.