Latin/English Translation Help!

I am a high school teacher and would like to present some awards to outstanding theology students.

My question is this:

Can anyone help me with a proper translation of “outstanding student” into Latin?? I would like to put it on their award.

The best I have so far is: “Discipulus Magnus” Would that be correct? I need help by the end of the day if possible!! Thanks!

“magnus” would be “big” or “great”.
“discipulus praestans” sounds better to me (“praestans” = outstanding, excellent, literally it means ‘standing out’, ‘standing at the head of sg’)

A quick glance into my dictionary reveals that ‘outstanding’ has the following closest Latin equivalents: egregius, insignis, singularis.
I think “discipulus insignis” or “discipulus egregius” sounds quite good. (If the student is male - is that so?)

“discipulus optimus” for a male student and “discipula optima” for the other gender :slight_smile:

got past Latin exam this term :wink:

You might take a cue from university diploma-cy:

discipulus summa cum laude
"student with/of highest praise"

tee

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Mine was just a diploma cum honore.:slight_smile:

show-off :stuck_out_tongue:

I consider my university diploma invalid in any case, since it is inscribed in English, rather than Latin

tee

I hear pharmacists have now taken English courses so they don’t have to read physician’s Latin. So there may be hope for your diploma after all.:slight_smile:

Seriously though, don’t you think secundum magnam misericordiam tuam sounds more poetic, majestic, and powerful than “according to your great mercy”?

Magna is better. Or is it major? :confused:

Major is greater, magna is great (fem.). The problem with Latin is that when you say, “ego sum pessimus omnium peccatorum,” it sounds like you’re boasting.

:rotfl:

tee

Sure does. Worst of the worst. Sounds like championship wrestling. :slight_smile: Or you can translate it as “baddest”. :smiley:

From the Harvard Crimson:

The morning exercises of Harvard’s 356th Commencement will begin with [Charles J] McNamara—who is a class marshal—speaking the traditional greeting, “Salvete.” The Classics concentrator from Lowell House will then deliver his speech “Iohannes Harvard, Eques Iediensis”—“John Harvard, Jedi Knight”—entirely in Latin, a language that will be understood by few in the audience.

But between the dative nouns and passive periphrastic constructions, McNamara, a native of northern Michigan, will mention “Han Solo” and “Chewbacca.”

:stuck_out_tongue:
tee
Eques Columbi de Quarto

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.