Latin for a post Vatican II child

Hi all

I was born in 1970 and therefore have no experience with singing or praying in Latin.

I have been attending weekday Masses since Lent began. When our Pastor celebrates, he has sung something in Latin after the Consecration. Everyone sang but me. I felt very self conscious. Can someone direct me to what might have been sung? I think I would recognize it if I heard or saw it again.

Thanks

If it was right after the Consecration, like immediately after he finishes the words “Do this in memory of me,” then it was the Memorial Acclamation. The priest says, “Mysterium fidei” (“The mystery of faith”), and the people respond (“Mortem tuam annuntiamus, Domine, et tuam resurrectionem confitemur, donec venias” (“We proclaim your death, Lord, and confess your resurrection, until you come [again]”). You can hear it (not a very good recording, but oh well) in this short mp3.

Was that it?

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick response!

Actually, it was after that, I think. I believe it was while the Eucharistic Ministers were assembling. It seemed pretty long to me.

The Agnus Dei?

Agnus Dei qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis,
Agnus Dei qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.

Lamb of God, etc…

Yes, that would be the Agnus Dei, most likely. There can be lots of possible musical settings for it, but there’s one that I’m practically sure it was: go here; watch and listen.

Was that it?

Yes!

Now it makes sense, since I recall that I didn’t sing Lamb of God in English at those Masses! Thanks!

I don’t know about him, but that’s the one we do. :slight_smile:

That’s definitely the words that were sung. It seemed longer at Mass, but it might have been because I was standing there feeling awkward the whole time!

You’d fit in at my church. Nobody sings there! :eek:

This one is the most common simple setting. It dates from about the twelfth century.

The first two lines (ending in “miserere nobis,” have mercy on us) can be repeated as many times as need be to cover the necessary liturgical action. The final line (ending in “dona nobis pacem,” grant us peace) is only used at the end.

I know. I’m the music director. :smiley:

During Advent and Lent my parish uses the Latin for the (Holy holy holy)Sanctus, Agnus Dei and the Memorial Acclamation…i was also born in the 1970s and I feel confused, but since I know to expect it, I have found it in the hymnal…pg 316 in my book, so I am prepared when the time comes.

We also sing in latin during exposition and benediction during Sations every week.

I did have 1yr of latin in high school and the pronunciations are slowly coming back

That’s the one we use at our 10:00 Mass, too! I grew up with it. Geez, I could sing that “Agnus” in my sleep-- and probably have on occasion. :wink:

Does anyone else dislike these “modern” elaborations, like"Jesus, Lamb of God", “Jesus, Bread of Life”, “Jesus, Prince of Peace”, and so on? Haugen’s Messed-Up Creation comes to mind… though he certainly isn’t alone. :rolleyes:

I’m of the mindset of “Leave well enough alone” when it comes to the Agnus Dei. The English (or Spanish or whatever) doesn’t bother me, but “leave the Lamb alone”! In fact, as I recall, that’s a no-tinker item that is NOT to be changed! So why does the Messed-Up Creation still have the popularity that it does? And will it finally be laid to rest with the newest revision of the Mass? Hoping… hoping…

In Christ,
~Spoken4

Not only do I dislike the modern elaborations like “Jesus, Prince of Peace”, but they aren’t allowed according to GIRM and other documents which state that the words are not to be changed.

Now, according to a meeting I was at, the USCCB is contradicting GIRM and saying that the changing of the Lamb of God is permissible. I’m sticking with what GIRM says though.

We were discussing this at Choir practice a few weeks ago. On the very rare instances when we might sing the Messed Up Creation, our Director has firmly instructed us, and especially the Cantors, that if any of the “tropes” are used-- we are to do it as a “Lamb Sandwich with the Bread inside”… the Lamb of God MUST start and end the “litany”.

Then she changed her mind and the Traditonal Choir will no longer do that version… Latin only for the Agnus Dei from now on, at all times. Can’t go wrong that way!

According to the general understanding that prevailed at the time the Mass of Creation was written, those sorts of adjustments and interpolations were permissible in parts to be sung by the congregation. It’s only more recently that we’ve come to the view that they are not, so one can’t really blame Marty Haugen for doing what he did. Although even today the USCCB is of the opinion that, under the current norms from Rome, it in fact is permissible to use other Christological invocations in the Agnus Dei (“Bread of Life,” “Prince of Peace,” etc.).

That said, Marty Haugen has in fact revised the Mass of Creation to accord with the new translations, at it will no longer deviate from the official text.

I know, what’s the story with that? Very few people outside the official choir sing at Sunday Masses at my Parish as well.

I went to Catholic school and had a music teacher who was a religious Sister from grades k-6. She taught us all different hymns, as well as the parts of the Mass. I distinctly remember her telling us that Music Ed was even MORE important at Catholic schools because we all NEED to know how to sing and follow music in order to really participate at Mass. She never said you had to have a good voice – she just said you gotta sing!

I still smile when I think of her, 30 years later, when we sing one of her favorites.

I am very disappointed with the number of people who seem to think singing is optional.

I posted this thread because I felt so awful NOT singing!

:slight_smile: My dad and I were often at odds with each other over many things in our lives. For some reason, we both felt the need to have “the last word”. That extended even to church.

Dad was a resonant baritone-bass and he had a very nice voice. I’m a strong soprano, and my voice carries. We would (perhaps unintentionally) try to “outdo” one another. In trying to accomplish that goal, we would sing the hymns progressively louder, and throw in some impromptu harmonies and descants. Sometimes, it even sounded GOOD!

But hey, no one ever accused US of not singing! :rotfl:

Making a joyful noise to the Lord,
~Spoken4

Here is a link with the text of the hymns and free mp3’s

Ihttp://www.adoremus.org/JubilateDeo.html

At our parish, we use the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus and Pater Noster from these every other Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.