Latin help: Ecclesia Mundi

Church in the world, church of the world, world of the church?

[quote=Digitonomy]Church in the world, church of the world, world of the church?
[/quote]

Church of the world. Not quite sure why they translated it like that; “church in the world” would be “ecclesia in mundo.”

DaveBj

So how would you say world of the church?

[quote=Digitonomy]So how would you say world of the church?
[/quote]

Mundus Ecclesiae.

[quote=DaveBj]Church of the world. Not quite sure why they translated it like that; “church in the world” would be “ecclesia in mundo.”

DaveBj
[/quote]

Mundi is the Genetive form of that word, and Genetive is always “of” something.
So, Ecclesia, meaning Church, and Mundi, meaning of the world, naturally puts together: "Church of the World."
God Bless,

Justin

[quote=Digitonomy]Church in the world, church of the world, world of the church?
[/quote]

Church of the world.

[quote=Digitonomy]So how would you say world of the church?
[/quote]

mundus ecclesiae

[quote=DaveBj] Church of the world. Not quite sure why they translated it like that; “church in the world” would be “ecclesia in mundo.”
[/quote]

[quote=mikworld]Mundi is the Genetive form of that word, and Genetive is always “of” something.
So, Ecclesia, meaning Church, and Mundi, meaning of the world, naturally puts together: “Church of the World.”
[/quote]

I think DaveBj was wondering why they chose this as the title. If this forum is about the Church of the World, then presumably it might address publications of the various Vatican congregations and dicasteries, and particularly those issues dealing with the global role of the Church, such as missions, papal visits, relations with Orthodox and other non-Catholic religions.

However, this forum seems to be much more about the Church in the World - how the world sees and interacts with the Church, and the Church’s response to that. But I wasn’t sure about that, and there wasn’t any sticky explaining the purpose of this forum, only the forum subtitle that I just now noticed, “News about the Church in the world”. Hence my question.

okay, since I do not know latin, does anyone have a good way to start learning at home?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.