Latin in the Novus Ordo Mass?

A few years ago I was attending a weekday Mass at a church across town (not the one I usually attend) and I noticed he recited a portion of the Mass in Latin. I didn’t know Latin could be used with the Novus Ordo. Thought it was a nice touch, though.

EWTN includes it and so does my parish.
You are blessed to find a parish like this.

Like I said, it’s not the one I normally attend, as its farther away. I was there that particular day because they had a noon Mass, and my parish has its weekday Masses in the morning, which I was unable to attend due to classes. I’ve been there a few other times for a daily Mass, but that was the only time I heard it in Latin.

Yup…our Parish uses Latin in the Masses…
It is so GREAT and my eldest son loves it …he gets to use (in the real world) what he has learned in his Latin Class:D

Latin was specifically established and remains the preferred language for NO, even though vernacular was permitted. any priest can offer all or part of NO in Latin at any time.

Latin IS the language of the Novus Ordo, it may be said in the language of the people with the Bishops permission.

We should now begin to see certain prayers and parts of the NO Mass everywhere, even on Sunday, be in Latin, that is the trend. Or maybe I should say the direction Rome wants to go.

~ Unless you live in Galveston-Houston, where even a popular once-weekly NO daily mass in Latin at a parish on the fringe of the diocese got suppressed. There are only three NO Latin and one TLM (at the same parish as one of the NOs) masses allowed, all at parishes solidly within the inner loop of Houston on Sunday mornings, and the (arch)bishop (now emeritus) instructed musicians at parishes he visited to not use Latin mass parts when he was present…

Recent documents have explicitly stated that a priest may say Mass in Latin (Novus Ordo) at any time. He does not need the bishops permission and the bishop may not prohibit the use of Latin.

I may be wrong, but I don’t think that bishops have the authority to prevent Latin from being used in the Mass.

[quote=Ray_Scheel;1832824and the (arch)bishop (now emeritus) instructed musicians at parishes he visited to not use Latin mass parts when he was present…
[/quote]

This is shocking! Wow! Latin is routinely sung in my cathedral parish not too far east of you. During Lent, we chant the Kyrie, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei. At least my kids grew up with that.
[/quote]

In the Appendix Section of the Sacramentary of the Novus Ordo Mass (1985), you will find the entire Mass in Latin. Appendix IV, entitled *Ordo Missae Cum Populo *(Order of Mass with People) gives everything needed to say Mass in Latin, even the instructions are in Latin. So it is available to be used.

While the bishop could not ban a priest from saying the Mass in Latin, the bishop does have liturgical authority over the Masses he presides over. If he doesn’t want the choir to sing anything in Latin at the Masses he presides at, that is his right.

Funny, one of my local parishes, within just the past three months or so, has re-introduced a few traditional touches - one being a gorgeous-looking crucifix prominently displayed on the altar itself, in addition to the one that has always been in the Sanctuary.

The other is that the Kyrie is in Greek now, and the Sanctus and Agnus Dei in Latin. And for someone who in all probability was taught and ordained post-V2, the priest does a surprisingly good job of the singing of the Greek and Latin too :thumbsup:

A lot of the rest of the music is still woeful though - more so the execution than intent. And it seems that people are voting with their feet and attendance at the Masses is slipping :frowning:

It always surprises me when people are shocked that the Novus Ordo Mass can be, and is in many places, said in Latin. It reminds me of what a good friend of mine once said on the topic, “The Novus Ordo begins and ends in Latin, starting with the “N” and ending with the “o”. What other language would you expect with a name like that?” :smiley:

He tolerated occasional Latin masses at parishes other than the designated three, but would make life unpleasant for priests who kept up regular and/or frequent NO Latin masses after being told to cut it out. Authority and ability have differences in application. The new archbishop is apparently not as oppossed to incorporating traditional touches in the liturgy, though I have not yet seen any indication of allowing regular NO Latin masses less than an hour’s drive from the edges of the diocese (and more pointedly, less than 30-45 minutes from the population clusters in the major suburbs of Houston).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.