Latin Mass for Dummies?

I finally took my family to the indult Tridentine mass in our diocese today. (I’ve been there before, but only three times last holy week). We enrolled our older daughter in Catechism there, too. I know my way around a missal better than my dh, and I know a lot more Latin than he does, but I still had a few surprises. He’s still more of a n.o. guy at the moment, but I think we really just need to have a firmer understanding of the order of the mass and the differences between the Tridentine and the Novus Ordo masses. (Heh heh…it’f a lot of fun taking a newbie to the Tridentine mass with your kids, ha ha! Our 20 mo. old kind of did away with any use of the missal). Does anyone know of a book that addresses this for Tridentine newbies? I want to help nurture my husband’s interest before intimidation sends him away.

Thanks.

There’s a place called Angelus Press that has a Latin-English missal.

Me? I like N.O. when it’s done correctly (reverently).

[quote=Mummybee]I finally took my family to the indult Tridentine mass in our diocese today . . Does anyone know of a book that addresses this for Tridentine newbies? I want to help nurture my husband’s interest before intimidation sends him away.

Thanks.
[/quote]

this is exactly why I have reservations about restoring Latin in general usage for either rite. At least before at least in this country most Catholics, at least in larger cities, went to Catholic school and got some Latin, were taught the prayers and responses in Latin, and were taught how to follow the Mass. If Latin is restored as the language of choice, without corresponding education of those in the pews, it will be a repeat of the same disaster that occured when they began changing the Mass in the 60s, without catechizing the laity. If there is not a formal effort to teach people how to pray the Mass in Latin, this reform will fail, in my opinion.

Hi Mummybee,

“Latin mass” for the 1962 missal mass is a misnomer. The Novus Ordo mass can also be said in Latin. The pope does it frequently.

Verbum

[quote=OutinChgoburbs]There’s a place called Angelus Press that has a Latin-English missal.

Me? I like N.O. when it’s done correctly (reverently).
[/quote]

Angelus Press is the printing wing of SSPX. Please do not order from them. If you would like a Latin-English missal here’s where you can get one baroniuspress.com/missal…our_edition.htm

Also, I have a book from the Coalition in Support of Ecclesia Dei I got a few years back called Know Your Mass. They bill it as "an illustrated manual of instruction on the Tradtiional Mass in Latin for Catholics young and old. Don’t see it on their site but you could always call them.

[quote=bear06]Angelus Press is the printing wing of SSPX. Please do not order from them. If you would like a Latin-English missal here’s where you can get one baroniuspress.com/missal…our_edition.htm

Also, I have a book from the Coalition in Support of Ecclesia Dei I got a few years back called Know Your Mass. They bill it as "an illustrated manual of instruction on the Tradtiional Mass in Latin for Catholics young and old. Don’t see it on their site but you could always call them.
[/quote]

Excellent idea. Can be bought here (not sspx, so cootie-fee):wink:
Gotta keep all the mama bears happy.
The Spiral binding make it easy to use even during Mass. AND, it’s kid proof…nearly. Ok, child resistant.
catholicfreeshipping.com/images/Local/knowyourmass-b.jpg

Great information. We do N.O. but my in-laws go to Latin Mass so when we visit we usually go with them… and I’m just clueless! Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

[quote=SAHMVicki]Great information. We do N.O. but my in-laws go to Latin Mass so when we visit we usually go with them… and I’m just clueless! Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

God Blesses you,

If you really want to bone up quick and impress God or maybe just your inlaws, try this Site and do a printout.
This is a good walk throught the TLM
It even contains some neat audio - a capella

If you are attending an Indult of the FSSP, the assembly usually says the following short prayer out loud. Try to memorize it.
[Dómine, non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic verbo, et sanábitur ánima mea.] 3times over

Which is:
[Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.]
The following is said after the close of Mass, and is easy to memorize:

Holy Michael Archangel, defend us in the day of battle; be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. – May God rebuke him, we humbly pray: and do thou, Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who wander about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Well, if you get all that done, you’ll be a close to an Angel in your In-laws eyes…even if you’re a devil with your spouse… only of course.:wink:

[quote=Verbum]Hi Mummybee,

“Latin mass” for the 1962 missal mass is a misnomer. The Novus Ordo mass can also be said in Latin. The pope does it frequently.

Verbum
[/quote]

If you read the body of my post, you’ll see I specify the indult Tridentine mass. For the sake of brevity in the thread title, I used the term Latin Mass.

[quote=TNT]Excellent idea. Can be bought here (not sspx, so cootie-fee):wink:
The Spiral binding make it easy to use even during Mass. AND, it’s kid proof…nearly. Ok, child resistant.
catholicfreeshipping.com/images/Local/knowyourmass-b.jpg

[/quote]

Woo Hooo!!! Thanks so much, TNT! This is exactly the sort of help I was looking for. I was getting a little discouraged after the way the thread got started, but you’ve really helped out. Thanks so much!!!

[quote=Mummybee]I finally took my family to the indult Tridentine mass in our diocese today. (I’ve been there before, but only three times last holy week). We enrolled our older daughter in Catechism there, too. I know my way around a missal better than my dh, and I know a lot more Latin than he does, but I still had a few surprises. He’s still more of a n.o. guy at the moment, but I think we really just need to have a firmer understanding of the order of the mass and the differences between the Tridentine and the Novus Ordo masses. (Heh heh…it’f a lot of fun taking a newbie to the Tridentine mass with your kids, ha ha! Our 20 mo. old kind of did away with any use of the missal). Does anyone know of a book that addresses this for Tridentine newbies? I want to help nurture my husband’s interest before intimidation sends him away.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi Mummybee - :wave:

I’m also a member of the Pgh Latin Mass Community at St. Boniface. So glad to hear you’ve started attending! Did you go to the High Mass or Low Mass? I think most new people find High Mass a bit more “engaging.” And yes, I know exactly what it’s like to try to wrestle the kids while also trying to follow the Mass. It can be tricky at that age (I have a 19 month old and a 6 month old).

I can tell you from experience that the best way to learn the ropes is simply through repetition. After you’ve assisted at about 10 TLM’s or so, it will start to feel very natural. You will find that you’ve gotten familiar with all the different parts of the Mas in no time. Also, it helps if you have a personal missal to review outside of Mass.

Did you happen to grab one of the red missals that the ushers hand out at the door? They are pretty easy to follow. I have the Angelus Press Missal, and it’s fantastic. There is a similar missal printed by Baronius Press that is equally as nice. Also, you can find tons of old missals on Ebay or through other traditional, online Catholic vendors. These missals will contain at a minimum the Epistle and Gospel for each Sunday. The bigger ones contain the other proper prayers for thre day. There’s no hurry to get one though, the red missals at Chuch are perfect for getting used to the standard parts of the Mass.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. You can feel free to PM me too.

BTW - don’t let the hair-splitters on this forum bother you. “Latin Mass” is a perfectly valid way to refer to the indult. You’ll notice that our community is the Pittsburgh Latin Mass Community.

[quote=TNT]Excellent idea. Can be bought here

(not sspx, so cootie-fee):wink:

Wow! You’re lucky! Mine isn’t child resistant. Have they started laminating it or something. Remember, it was my idea! Next time someone says I hate the Tridentine, you better defend me! Did you ever get the above missal?
[/quote]

[quote=Scotty PGH]Hi Mummybee - :wave:

I’m also a member of the Pgh Latin Mass Community at St. Boniface. So glad to hear you’ve started attending! Did you go to the High Mass or Low Mass? I think most new people find High Mass a bit more “engaging.” And yes, I know exactly what it’s like to try to wrestle the kids while also trying to follow the Mass. It can be tricky at that age (I have a 19 month old and a 6 month old).

I can tell you from experience that the best way to learn the ropes is simply through repetition. After you’ve assisted at about 10 TLM’s or so, it will start to feel very natural. You will find that you’ve gotten familiar with all the different parts of the Mas in no time. Also, it helps if you have a personal missal to review outside of Mass.

Did you happen to grab one of the red missals that the ushers hand out at the door? They are pretty easy to follow. I have the Angelus Press Missal, and it’s fantastic. There is a similar missal printed by Baronius Press that is equally as nice. Also, you can find tons of old missals on Ebay or through other traditional, online Catholic vendors. These missals will contain at a minimum the Epistle and Gospel for each Sunday. The bigger ones contain the other proper prayers for thre day. There’s no hurry to get one though, the red missals at Chuch are perfect for getting used to the standard parts of the Mass.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. You can feel free to PM me too.

BTW - don’t let the hair-splitters on this forum bother you. “Latin Mass” is a perfectly valid way to refer to the indult. You’ll notice that our community is the Pittsburgh Latin Mass Community.
[/quote]

Scotty,

We actually picked up some second hand missals at the Sacred Heart of Jesus book store in Bloomfield (if you haven’t, you absolutely MUST go there!!! It’s an absolute treasure trove! www.abebooks.com/home/IMMACULATABOOKS ) We got a St. Andrew, a Maryknoll and a Fr. Lesance (sp?) We took the St. Andrew and Maryknoll with us. I got lost shortly after the asperges, :rotfl:I was waiting to hear the kyrie and gloria, but didn’t get it until later that the choir was singing it while the priest moved on with other stuff. I didn’t catch up until the gospel. Another thing that threw me was the fact that they hear confessions all the way up to the sanctus! It’s a bit of a circus. Next week we’re going to give the red missals a shot and see if that helps us to transition more effectively.

We are joining the Holy Wisdom parish as PLMC members, and our elder daughter had her first catechism lesson on Sunday. She’s adorable. I explained to her that we were going to a different kind of mass than she’d ever been to before, that this is the way it was for 2000 years, and that it would be almost completely in Latin. She turned to me, aghast, and asked, “How are they going to understand me in my catechism class if they speak Latin? They won’t understand a word I say!” aaaaaaaahahahahaha! Of course, I clarified things for her, and she really liked her class. She’ll be making her First Holy Communion there next year.

[/quote]

What’s the difference between an SSPX cootie, an Indult cootie and a Novus Ordo cootie?
I ask questions because I seek knowledge. :tiphat:

[quote=Dr. Bombay]What’s the difference between an SSPX cootie, an Indult cootie and a Novus Ordo cootie?
I ask questions because I seek knowledge. :tiphat:
[/quote]

There used to be a cootie game, where the players assembled their own cootie, part by part, a leg here, a feeler there.

[quote=puzzleannie]this is exactly why I have reservations about restoring Latin in general usage for either rite. At least before at least in this country most Catholics, at least in larger cities, went to Catholic school and got some Latin, were taught the prayers and responses in Latin, and were taught how to follow the Mass. If Latin is restored as the language of choice, without corresponding education of those in the pews, it will be a repeat of the same disaster that occured when they began changing the Mass in the 60s, without catechizing the laity. If there is not a formal effort to teach people how to pray the Mass in Latin, this reform will fail, in my opinion.
[/quote]

Not having any minor children I cannot speak with any authority on this but I have to assume there are still catechism classes offered in most parishes. The Latin required for the Mass is not at all difficult to learn, and does not cover a huge amount of linguistic territory. I am relatively sure that such catechisis would not be impossible or even very difficult. As to adults, ditto for those in the RCIA process. And I will have to make a wild stab and assume that most adult could pick up enough Latin to say the prayers and follow the Mass. But I agree, to introduce Latin without preparation could be very harmful.

[/quote]

Liquid Alert!!!
Cootie!!!
:rotfl:

[size=1]Oh my Goodness! Diet coke in the keyboard!
[/size]

Bleah…how offensive re the cooties…not amused, better to be a philistine or a pagan, one gets more respect…:frowning:

[quote=netmilsmom]Liquid Alert!!!
Cootie!!!
:rotfl:
[size=3]Oh my Goodness! Diet coke in the keyboard![/size]

[/quote]

Just so you are sure:
My post was a Parody. My wife is hardcore SSPX.
While BEAR06 (Mama bear) is hardcore ANTI-SSPX.

I’m damned either way I go…from 2 “catholics”.:confused:

[quote=TNT]Just so you are sure:
My post was a Parody. My wife is hardcore SSPX.
While BEAR06 (Mama bear) is hardcore ANTI-SSPX.

I’m damned either way I go…from 2 “catholics”.:confused:
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, where do you attend Mass? The local indult? With your wife?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.