Latin Mass OK anytime, anywhere: Vatican rules

Latin Mass OK anytime, anywhere: Vatican rules

[%between%](“javascript:ts(‘content’, -1)”) [%between%](“javascript:ts(‘content’, 1)”) %between% %between%
Published Date: February 18, 2010
cathnewsasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/0218-lat-a.jpg In a series of responses to questions from a Polish diocese, the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei has ruled that parishes may replace a normal Sunday Mass with one celebrated in the ‘Extraordinary’ or Tridentine form.
The questions from the diocese of Rzeszow, Poland concerned the application of the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, New Liturgical Movement reports.

Full report here.

Yes, this has been the case ever since the **Pope’s letter on the EF **of a couple of years ago.
Any parish with a “stable community” wishing to have the EF may ask for it. The pastor should do everything he can (within reason) to accomodate them.

Peace
James

Praise God for this clarification. Will local ordinaries listen and not harass priests who choose a more traditional path?

I suppose that will depend a lot on the Bishop.
Thankfully the Popes letter provides the faithful with a recourse should a bishop be too obstructionist.

Overall though I think that the call for the EF in more parishes will be a gradual one and, since seminaries will need to train future priests in both forms, there will be less resistance over time. The change will be an organic one, unlike the change from the EF to the OF in the 1960"s.
This is a much better method.

Peace
James

It is also hoped that the priest may take some initiative too. The 2007 SP, after all, did declare that every priest had a right to say both forms of the Latin Rite, and did not need permission from his bishop to say them.

There are several EF’s in the Chicago area which started as a request by the priest to be taught how to say the Latin Mass. Fortunately we have a Cantius order who are happy to teach it to anyone, anytime. And there are other organizations who are willing to teach it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now that the Holy Father has made it clear that the EF is fully acceptable I don’t think that anything will prevent it’s taking it’s rightful place beside the OF.
As time goes on and more people are exposed to it there will be those “who never thougth about it” who will fall in love with it. The same thing for the men in seminary. There will be those who, having learned both forms will either “prefer” the EF, or at least be equally happy to use either one.

Peace
James

I think the title may be ever so slightly misleading to the extent that there is still at least one circumstance where it may not be “ok”.

I’d have to go back and reread SP, but my recollection is that if a parish only has one Sunday Mass that it had to be OF. This clarification certainly does help with the problem of EF Masses being shunted off to undesirable time slots when multiple Masses are available, but it clearly does not address the opposite situation of what happens if there is only one Mass available which is what many rural parishes face.

It does leave open though the opportunity for the priest to schedule an additional Mass in the EF even if there hasn’t been a specific request for it and that is a blessing.

The important thing is that this weakens the persistent lie that those of us who prefer the TLM are somehow borderline excommunicated, schismatic, etc. Now that we have this additional, much more explicit statement from the Pope today, it is yet more re-inforcment that Catholics are standing on the same doctrinal and absolutely equal ground in either Mass form.

I think most Catholics will continue to choose the Mass that fits their needs on the weekends and now there should be none of these foolish accusations that a person’s confession was or was not valid, the Eucharist is or is not valid, etc.

Yes - I ran a poll a year or so ago on the liturgy forum and asked what you would do if “Your” mass time was changed from OF to EF. The result turned out to be that most would continue to go, and of those choosing to change mass times more chose to come to it than go from it.
The upshot was that the mass would likely have MORE attendees rather than less.

Peace
James

my parish church does not have an altar rail, so how would communion be distrubuted?(random question related)

that question past, im glad to hear this

i wish to be able to attend an EF

All of this may be true, BUT, individual priest still need the courage to buck a Bishop’s personal “philosophy”. They can still be transfered to a remote or even hostile parish somewhere.

The priests in our Diocese (for the most part) have no courage and play the political game.

Not enough “backbone” in the entire Diocese for a small monkey.

Sorry ot hear it.
All we can do is to try and make our wishes known in a loving way.
If these bishops continue to be obstructionist, we can appeal to Rome.

Peace
James

I wouldn’t say the priests in our diocese have no courage but they sure chose their battles. :slight_smile: Sorry to say this probably won’t change anything in our diocese. Even if (and its a big if) priests were willing to stand up for this, the Cardinal has made it clear he wants no resources “diverted” to the EF. The archdiocese controls the purse strings by way of financial rules and auditing. If priests can’t get training, vestments, lectionaries, etc., we are still out of luck. :frowning:

Corki has a good point on the finances. Our EF chaplaincy is completely self funded with no help from the diocese. Thank God we are contributing enough to keep it going.
Getting started can be hard. While the scripture readings are in the Missal, there is no seperate lectionary, an altar missal is fairly expensive. Then the priest usually has a Latin/English missal so he can read the lessons in the vernacular before his homily. One priest I know in my diocese went to the FSSP seminary in Nebraska for one of their training sessions. It must have been expensive with travel fees plus whatever the Fraternity charged. And we haven’t even talked about altar cards, vestments, etc. It can be done, but it isn’t easy.

I’m active duty military serving in Korea and that is the exact situation a lot of us are in. I may have to look up a Latin Mass in the Korean community where I live because the prospects of a LM replacing the OF Mass in the military are slim and none.

what are the differences in vestments between the OF and the EF?

Click here for good info on EF vestments. For one thing, I usually don’t see the priest wearing a maniple at an OF Mass. Others may have more comments/info on any differences in style between the vestments used in both forms of the Mass.

This is a WELCOMING GIFT from Ecclesia Dei! This proves that Rome is making sure the EF is ALLOWED and a MESSAGE to the Bishops! The next point I am hoping for is a clear define meaning of an "A STABLE GROUP. Eg, “How many people is a stable group?” Also, when Laity requests a EF Mass and it is stonewalled by the Local Priest and Bishop, how can this get resolved quickly?

You may need to set up websites to announce and keep current the goings on too.

As the old adage goes, Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

Look at it as a form of investment, because it is.:slight_smile: Keep spreading the good seeds.

Here is another interesting part of the document:

“1. If there is no other possibility, because for instance in all churches of a diocese the liturgies of the Sacred Triduum are already being celebrated in the Ordinary Form, the liturgies of the Sacred Triduum may, in the same church in which they are already celebrated in the Ordinary Form, be additionally celebrated in the Extraordinary Form, if the local ordinary allows.

Fr. Z. writes about this document here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.