Latin Mass on EWTN in October

This came in the October 04 Newsletter:

*Latin Mass on EWTN on October 6, 9 & 10, 2004
EWTN Highlights (newsletter) | October 2004

Gate of Heaven: the Solemn Consecration of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Oratory of the Immaculate Conception

On May 31, 2003, this solemn Consecration was performed by the Most Rev. Bishop of Lacrosse, Raymond L. Burke. Witness the entire beautiful ceremony–the purification and dedication of the Church, translocation of the relics, consecration of the Church, and celebration of the first pontifical high Mass, using the traditional Latin rite of the Liturgy. Airs on EWTN October 6 at 10PM, October 9 at 1 PM, October 10 at 10 AM.*

For those of us who have not seen or been to the Traditional Latin Mass, this may be a good way to see what it’s all about. Archbishop Burke, now my Archbishop of St. Louis, should say the Mass well.

Awesome news!

Get the DVD or VHS recorders out.

Latin Mass Magazine has an ad to obtain a copy of the High Mass, 1940 at a church in Chicago. Black and White, and a little grainy, but with voice over by Bishop Sheen – awesome!!

MrShttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

If you’re looking for a color version, Una Voce is selling copies ot the Tridentine Mass.

unavoce.org/video.htm

This is all good! I will be especially proud to see my Archbishop praying the ancient Mass.

MP

These all sound good! I will be looking forward to seeing my archbishop praying the ancient Mass!

MP

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Would fill the entire post with smilies if he could

[quote=CatholicNerd]:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Would fill the entire post with smilies if he could
[/quote]

I hope that interest in this particular show will cause EWTN’s program folks to make a series about the ancient Tridentine Mass. I am pretty new to it myself and have a lot to learn about its richness & spirituality.

MP :thumbsup:

As a 2004 convert to the Catholic faith, I am very interested in seeing what all the fuss is about the Latin version of the Mass. :rolleyes:

Question:? just how LOST will I be in understanding it? :confused:

Did not mean to use the word “fuss” in a bad way, it’s just being a convert I don’t understand :o

This is [size=5]great news [/size] :smiley: :thumbsup: :clapping:

[quote=mkw]As a 2004 convert to the Catholic faith, I am very interested in seeing what all the fuss is about the Latin version of the Mass. :rolleyes:

Question:? just how LOST will I be in understanding it? :confused:

Did not mean to use the word “fuss” in a bad way, it’s just being a convert I don’t understand :o
[/quote]

MKW,

The “Fuss” is that many of us are tired of the liturgical abuses that have happened in our Novus Ordo (post Vatican II Mass) parishes. The level of obedience to rubrics, etc., seems to be more important to those who celebrate, serve and participate at the Latin Mass.

If you watch it on TV, or go to one in person, you will see a Mass that is many orders of magnitude more reverent in regards to Our Lord’s Presence in the Blessed Sacrament. For example, you kneel to receive Communion vs. standing. The element of mystery is also incredibly more profound (partially because of the language, but also with the orientation of people). The element of sacrifice (as the Mass is a re-presentation of the sacrifice of Calvary) is also presented in a much larger way in the prayers of the Mass.

It may take a few visits to be able to follow along. Most Latin Mass go-ers carry a Missal, which is a book that has the Latin on one side and English on the other, so you can follow along. As you learn it, you will be able to see the ‘clues’ that the priest/servers use to let you know where in the Mass they are relative to the Missal. (ie: you know it’s going to be time for the Consecration when the bells are rung). The congregation does participate by praying/reading along with the priest, but vocal participation is much less than in the Novus Ordo.

If you watch the Daily Mass on EWTN, you will learn some of the prayers/responses that are used in the Latin Mass as well. They may just be in a slightly different order.

Please let me know if you have more questions, either here or with a private message.

God Bless,
Marc

This is great! :thumbsup: I always wondered why EWTN wasn’t on the band wagon. Can’t wait, wish it was sooner.

:amen:

[quote=Joanne_ca]This is great! :thumbsup: I always wondered why EWTN wasn’t on the band wagon. Can’t wait, wish it was sooner.

[/quote]

I think they are trying to get the largest possible audience & then reel 'em in!

MP

[quote=Joanne_ca]This is great! :thumbsup: I always wondered why EWTN wasn’t on the band wagon. Can’t wait, wish it was sooner.

[/quote]

Mother Angelica initially desired that the Tridentine Mass be celebrated exclusively on EWTN, but the bishop of the area would not grant her the Indult that she requested. When the network was still new, the nuns would be present at Mass, but behind the barrier (since they’re cloistered). She could then at least justify an “Ad Orientem” Mass by having the priest face the nuns, but the bishop again put his liberal foot down and that was the end of that (even though bishops may NOT interfere with a priest’s right to say the Novus Ordo in Latin or Ad Orientem). But when a bishop controls the flow of funds, I guess anything he says is law… They’ve wanted to get on the bandwagon for quite some time, but haven’t been able to. Note that this isn’t a Mass offered by any of the EWTN priests, nor will it be shown live. Such a shame!

I am most eager to watch this Mass in October. It’s all the buzz in my parish by the pre-vatican poeple.

I have seen many daily masses on EWTN, beautiful indeed, but I must admit, some parts confuse me a bit, mostly just the Latin.

I need to find an old missel with latin in it. I am determined to learn.

I would love to watch it if someone will convince Comcast to give us EWTN. :rolleyes: We’ve been trying for months to get it; almost everything else on TV is a waste of time, IMHO. :nope:

[quote=CatholicNerd]Mother Angelica initially desired that the Tridentine Mass be celebrated exclusively on EWTN, but the bishop of the area would not grant her the Indult that she requested. When the network was still new, the nuns would be present at Mass, but behind the barrier (since they’re cloistered). She could then at least justify an “Ad Orientem” Mass by having the priest face the nuns, but the bishop again put his liberal foot down and that was the end of that (even though bishops may NOT interfere with a priest’s right to say the Novus Ordo in Latin or Ad Orientem). But when a bishop controls the flow of funds, I guess anything he says is law… They’ve wanted to get on the bandwagon for quite some time, but haven’t been able to. Note that this isn’t a Mass offered by any of the EWTN priests, nor will it be shown live. Such a shame!
[/quote]

I am not totally for sure, but I don’t believe that EWTN gets any Birmingham Diocese funds…it comes strictly from the viewers, so I don’t know about your comment on “when a bishop controls the flow of funds.” However, the bishop is in charge of what they do relative to the Mass and Sacraments.

I do know, however, that the Mass said at the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament, where M. Angelica and her sisters live now, I believe the entire Mass is in Latin, albeit the N.O. Mass, including the priest facing the tabernacle. The congregation recieves Communion at the communion rail. If you haven’t been to the Shrine, it is absolutely beautiful.

Relative to Abp. Burke’s Mass on EWTN in Oct, it’s a step in the right direction. Hopefully a lot of people will watch and it will spurr more interest for the ancient Mass. He helped found an order that only says the Tridentine Mass when he was in LaCrosse, WI before STL.

Marc

[quote=mkw]I am most eager to watch this Mass in October. It’s all the buzz in my parish by the pre-vatican poeple.

I have seen many daily masses on EWTN, beautiful indeed, but I must admit, some parts confuse me a bit, mostly just the Latin.

I need to find an old missel with latin in it. I am determined to learn.
[/quote]

You can use this website, latinliturgy.com/masstexts.html, that has the text of both Masses in Latin w/ english next to it. My parish, St. Agatha, also sells a less formal missal for $2.00 or something. I could get you one if you want and mail it. Private message me your address if you want it. It’s a nice little book that has some explanations as to what’s going on, etc.

Marc

[quote=TLM Altar Boy]I would love to watch it if someone will convince Comcast to give us EWTN. :rolleyes: We’ve been trying for months to get it; almost everything else on TV is a waste of time, IMHO. :nope:
[/quote]

Dump Comcast and get Dish Network or DirecTV. I think they both have EWTN.

I think it’s great your an altar boy. I’m 30 now but hope to someday learn how to serve the TLM Mass.

MP

[quote=MarcPekny]Dump Comcast and get Dish Network or DirecTV. I think they both have EWTN.

I think it’s great your an altar boy. I’m 30 now but hope to someday learn how to serve the TLM Mass.

MP
[/quote]

Our cable company (Time-Warner) now has EWTN on 24/7, but years ago, it only had EWTN on part time…The channel was shared by TBN…So, we got Dish TV, so we could have Mother on all the time…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.