Latin Mass

I hope they never stop having Latin Mass,see because today I was at Latin Mass and I begain to cry, just to be able to take part. Do you think that Latin Mass will contuinue to be with us for ever?. God Bless

It’s not going away any time soon.

No, I think it will be with us to the end of time…not sure why the church was so strict after Vatican II on “banning” the Latin Mass…sounds a bit extreme to me…the Latin Mass should be there as a choice for those who like that kind of thing…I prefer modern day masses myself…

Bruce

No, I don’t think it will be with us forever. When the new Jerusalem and the new Temple comes down from heaven, there will be a different form of worship of God as those worthy will be in total communion with Him. Liturgies as we experience them today are of this world, and they will pass with this world.

It is my personal hope, as a very traditional Catholic, that the whole of our liturgical praxis will experience the fruits of a new enthusiasm, which will result in ONE single “form” of the Roman rite, which is orthodox, beautiful, traditional, and well-equipped to confront the modern world.

The Mass when Celebrated well and with due reverence is the Most beautiful thing this side of heaven. For this reason when the Heavens and the Earth as we know it Pass away we will(God Willing) be gazing on the Beatific Vision of God Himself and as such The Mass will no longer be necessary as a form of worship.

(I take it you mean the Extraordinary Form, and not the Ordinary Form in the original as opposed to the vernacular?
The Reason I mention this is because if someone were to mention the Latin Mass I automatically think of the OF as the Council intended, whereas if someone were to speak of the Mass of the ages or the Traditional Latin Mass I automatically thing of the EF.)

As long as you asked, I will state my personal opinion and say, “No, I don’t think it will last.”

I think that eventually, probably within the next 50 years and maybe sooner, it will disappear from most dioceses. I think it will be celebrated once-a-year in some areas to pay tribute to “tradition,” kind of like “Founders’ Day” in Protestant churches. I think that a few priests will travel from area to area by invitation to perform these once-a-year tribute Masses, but that most priests will not learn how to celebrate the Latin Mass.

My main reason for this is purely practical–it’s an expensive undertaking, and I think that the Church will choose to put most of Her resources into less expensive and very practical outreaches that attract many people to the Church, and also help many people in their many needs.

Yes, I know that in some areas of the U.S., the Latin Mass attracts a crowd. But does that crowd sticks around for decades? And does that crowd contribute money and talents to the entire Church?

My personal opinion is that many people try the Latin Mass for a while because of the novelty, but many eventually depart (we don’t hear from those people on CAF). If I am wrong, then yes, the Latin Mass will be around, because it’s “profitable.” But if I am right, well…basically what I’m saying is that the product (the Latin Mass) will not work in such a way as to “profit” the Church in numbers of people or offerings of money and talents, and this will cause it to be “downsized.”

I also think that because of the diverse and very small world in which we live, COMMUNICATION, which involves “understanding” and “being understood” will become a major priority in the Catholic Church. I think that Protestants will continue to come home to Catholicism, and they will seek understanding of the faith rather than tradition

I know many of you disagree with me, and that’s OK. I won’t be around in 50 years. Some of you will be around, and if I’m wrong, you will be glad, and I won’t mind at all!

Gosh, I hate it every time you say this. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would stay it will stick around, and for the reasons you outlined.

My experience with the traditional Mass ‘crowd’ is that they are substantially more likely to tithe, to make the parish the center of their social lives and to simply have a lot more children.

In addition, those parishes tend to produce a far larger number of vocations than other parishes. My parish (which has both EF and OF Masses) has had 12 men ordained in the last 10 years.

Here in my diocese, there are a number of parishes that are looking at being consolodated or closed, the parishes that offer the EF are not among them, In fact they are the ones that are growing.

In our diocese, the diocese is mandating that each parish conduct a capital campaign to retire the parish debt and to conduct repairs on the property. Our pastor is looking for an exemption, as our parish has no debt and we did a parish expansion 4 years ago that also included all repairs and infrastructure upgrades. In addition, our parish also funded a $300,000 construction project for our sister parish in Tanzania ( a church building, rectory, convent, school and medical dispensary)

So finding contributions for some altar cards and fiddlebacks wasn’t that big of a deal really. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now when I compare that to the neighboring parishes in our vicariate, they all have debt and one had to let go their youth minister because they didn’t have enough kids attending to justifify a position. (each parish had to publish their data to the archdiocese, and the archdiocese produced a report for the capital campaign, which is how I know their debt level)

Nope, the Latin Mass is not going away anytime soon. In fact, I think we’ll see more if it, especially since a lot of the new priests for our diocese come from our parish and have been trained on it :slight_smile:

FYI, the Extraordinary Form Masses said in the Archdiocese of Detroit are said by diocesan priests, not FSSP. I know of 5 parishes that offer that Mass. Two of our former auxilliary bishops ( +Boyea and +Quinn) would regularlly say the Pontifical Mass in the various parishes.

+Boyea, now Bishop of Lansing, MI, still says that Mass at parishes in his diocese as often as his schedule allows. :thumbsup:

I’m only answering the OP’s question, “Do you think that the Latin Mass will be with us forever?”

I assume that’s allowed, even if my answer is hated by some. I tried to state my answer in a respectful way.

If an OP only wants positive opinions posted, then this should be stated in the initial query.

So far it’s outlasted the first English translation. :wink:

That’s pretty good. I recall it was only some 10-15 years ago the Cardinal there was adamantly opposed to the TLM.

I hope so, and I see evidence to be hopeful, but I try not to take it for granted and I pray for its full restoration on my Rosary. So many Catholics who lived through the changes didn’t know what they had until it was too late, I don’t want to repeat that if I can help it.

Cat,

I was only referring to your comment about “founder’s day” which you have said in many threads. Of course you can have your opinion about whether the TLM will last or not.

The smiley was supposed to add some levity, but I guess that didn’t work. :shrug:

That probably would have been Cardinal Dearden, who resigned in 1980

The subsequent bishops ( Cardinals Szoka, Maida and Archbishop Vigneron) have not opposed it (+Szoka) and have been supportive ( +Maida and +Vigneron)

Cardinal Maida never did say the EF as a bishop ( to my knowledge), but he had two auxilliaries who took the time to learn and say the Pontifical Mass, which they would not have done if +Maida disapproved.

+Vigneron has not said the EF Mass himself, but has done in Confirmations done in the EF form, with +Vigneron sitting in choir while another priest celebrated the Mass.

The Latin Mass is 1500 years old. There have been attempts down through the centuries to stamp it out, including under Queen Elizabeth I when it was outlawed, and again after V2. But no one has been successful yet at killing what Blessed John Henry Newman called “the most beautiful thing this side of heaven.” It’s here to stay. And if the reconciliation happens with the SSPX, that will only cement the permanence of the Latin Mass.

I d on’t think the Latin Mass was ever banned except maybe in the early days there was some insistence by the Bishops to have the Mass said in the vernacular. As with any change, there was some resistence initially, so saying that it had to be done that way got us over the change and accustomed people to the OF rite.

Latin always remained the official language of the Church, so I do not see how the Mass in that language could be banned.

That being said, I would not cross the street to go to a Latin Mass. Been there, done that, never understood it really. I went to Latin Masses through parts of college, so it was a long time.

I think there are some of my generation who never accepted the change. They are happy it is being performed again. I understand from some of the younger folk, youth ministers and such, that the younger people are really excited about the ritual, mystery, and trappings of the Latin Mass… This is the same generation that is being enthralled by vampite movies, etc. My point being (NOT comparing the Mass with vampires etc) that there seems to be a hunger for the spiritual, mysterious, and ritual in the younger generations. I can understand that they may be drawn to some of the older forms and rituals of the Church. So I hope it continues for their sake. As long as I can still find an OF Mass that is so meaningful to me. I hope others can find a what is meaningful for them. After all, it is still the same great mystery that is being reenacted at each Mass form. Praise God.

And exclude aboriginal people forever…don’t forget that part too

Bruce
Trickster

There is evidence that Mass was said in Latin in the first century. Now St. Paul or one of the other Apostles could have been saying Mass in Vulgar Latin, which would have been the more spoken language among the Romans. This would have been the language which eventually morphed into the Romance languages, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc. Ecclesiastical Latin, on the other hand, was formed on the grammar and vocabulary of Classical Latin, earlier codified by Cicero et al, but Christianized in the meaning of some of the words; for example, gratia to express “grace” and oratio to mean “prayer” rather than “speech.” Ecclesiastical Latin was introduced around the third century in the Mass and was the immutable standard of the Mass in the West until the 60’s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.