Latin Missal?

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about my first Latin Mass. I loved every second of it, and intend to go to the traditional Mass permanently. Only thing is I have no idea what the priest is saying, and really wish I could join the congregation in the responses. :confused:

I assume there’s a handbook/missal to help me with this? What do you all recommend? I am so new to the Latin Mass, but am very eager to learn all I can. Your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tara

Glad you found the experience to your liking.

Perhaps others can fill you in on the handmissals available but this should get you started on the non-changing parts of the Mass.

rickmk.com/Mass/masstext.html

That’s what the vast majority of us do; we carry a hand missal.

The one I use and recommend is this: fraternitypublications.com/the-1962-daily-mi.html

Maybe this website would be of help, too: sanctamissa.org/en/

It is wonderful that you have come to love the Traditional Latin Mass!

If you are thinking of investing in a 1962 Roman Missal, I highly recommend the Baronius Press Edition. It is reasonably priced and will last a lifetime if you take good care of it. Check it out!

baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=4#tab=tab-1

God bless you!

This. Great investment. I love mine. It’s a complete missal plus some great prayers and other things!

JMR

I’ve noticed more people are bringing in their St. Edmund Campion Missals.

ccwatershed.org/Campion/

Larger than the normal handmissal but it’s nice to have with its illustrations and larger print. Less pricey too.

One caveat: It lacks daily propers. Basically for Sundays.

St. Andrew’s Daily Missal here. Buy it for the commentary alone. It is the same Missal your grandparents probably had at the time.

I have a leather-bound 1962 copy of Fr. Juergen’s New Marian Missal which is user friendly and includes beautiful artwork and would be perfect for someone who’s just discovered the Latin Mass. My only problem with it is the propers which change every day are only in English, which probably would not be a big deal for you. I have a less user friendly and older small Roman Missal which I use when I want to look at the propers in Latin. I would not suggest buying a new reprint of the New Marian Missal as the paper is thinner and everything unfortunately in black and white rather than color. Here’s a cheap one here that looks the same as mine, though this copy is from 1953. The rub marks on the leather can be easily fixed with black shoe polish.

I have a leather-bound 1962 copy of Fr. Juergen’s New Marian Missal which is user friendly and includes beautiful artwork and would be perfect for someone who’s just discovered the Latin Mass. My only problem with it is the propers which change every day are only in English, which probably would not be a big deal for you. I also have a less user friendly and older Roman Missal I use if I want to look at the propers in Latin. I would not suggest buying a new reprint of the New Marian Missal as the paper is thinner and everything unfortunately in black and white rather than color. Here’s an inexpensive one here that looks the same as mine, though this copy is from 1953 (still newer than my Roman Missal). The rub marks on the leather can be easily fixed with black shoe polish.

I use the Angelus Press missal but for an inexpensive starter try one of these. ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-39705453324221_2267_42487900

They don’t have the “Propers” but many parishes have these for your use and print out the propers on a separate sheet. Its a great training tool. It will give you the chance to learn the Mass and then decide which leather bound missal you may want. Most folks are happy to share their likes and dislikes with you. Just be bold and ask some folks with a :slight_smile: on your face.

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.