Latin phrase for wedidng band

Okay, I’ve searched through previous threads for something similar, and while there are similar threads, none had anything I wanted.

So, as you can see from my ticker, my fiance and I are getting married soon. I’d really love to put a Latin phrase on the inside of his ring. I just can’t decide on what. And not knowing Latin, it’s hard.

I really wanted something that said something along the lines of “in God forever” or “through God forever” or something similar. Basically of the idea that God is the center of our marriage, as He has been through all of our 5 year relationship so far. But googling these phrases has come up with nothing.

Anyone know Latin? Or even suggest other good phrases?

Thanks for any help!!

Joined together with God= iunctus per deus

married together with god for eternity= matrimonium una per deus pro infinitio

you can go to translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Latin&to=English

to try anything that comes to mind:thumbsup:

hope this helps.

If you're familiar with the Traditional Latin Mass, you could always flip through the missal until you find a phrase you like :) They're online too, and if you're not sure which words are which you could run individual ones through a translator until you've got the full phrase. You probably should have a good priest look over the final choice before you engrave them... it would be like the funny English you see all over Asia :D

That's such a sweet idea :heart: congratulations!!

Ooh yes! :bounce: I *love *this idea!

My husband and I were married last November and we both had Nemo Nisi Mors inscribed on the inside of our wedding rings. It’s a traditional Latin phrase that means “Nothing but death will part us.”

How about "Dei gratia"? It means, "by the grace of God".

God bless your wedding and your marriage,
Ruthie

I don’t believe that death parts love. Love exists beyond death.
And so my vote would be to dedicate your new family and household from its very beginnings on day 1 with that same dedication used for any church:
Hic Domus Dei Est: This household is God’s

A young burglar once broke into a little house on the hard side of town and pulled his gun on an elderly man, only to be calmly challenged by his elderly wife with those very same words:
"This household is God’s. Guns are not allowed in this house, so put the gun away and sit down at the table and join us for dinnerThis Household is God’s."
Her attitude was something that he had not experienced since he had been a very young child in the care of his own grandmother. The young burglar actually did as he was told.
That elderly couple heard his story because they loved and reminded him that it was possible to care and to love. The young burglar had not known any such thing as family in a very long time… and experiencing “family” changed his life.

And so beyond romance, beyond endearments, beyond life, beyond death, and beyond all,
I would nominate:
Hic Domus Dei Est: This Household Is God’s

I had Totus Tuus Ego Sum engraved on my husband’s band.

**Ego Dilecto Meo et Dilectus Meus **

my husband and i have this

but i really like former catholic's suggestion too. and the story that accompanied it!

First, thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

And secondly wow, just realized I misspelled wedding in my title. oops!

I still haven’t found something perfect, I’ll keep looking and asking for suggestions. Although if nothing else I do like the totus tuus, but in one other thread someone said that the female form (so me speaking to my fiance) would be tota tua, anyone know if that is correct?

[quote="BrokenFortress, post:9, topic:204390"]

I still haven't found something perfect, I'll keep looking and asking for suggestions.

[/quote]

You might want to try searching on this site which is dedicated to exploring short romantic latin phrases for engraving useage:
inrebus.com/latinlovepoem.php

I still think modern Italian sounds better than ancient Latin, but Latin is shorter and does have a definite timelessness to it!
Best of luck!

Who is his patron saint - try looking up his patron saint’s writings and quotes and you may find something perfect because he probably picked his saint based on personality.

Why would you get an engraving about a house on something that isn't a house? Seems pretty silly to me.

Nemo Nisi Mors (Nothing but death shall part us) is great and mirrors the wedding vows perfectly.

""I, ___ take you, ___ for my wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part."

Another that would be good but probably is to long so you might need to shorten it is:

"quod ergo Deus iunxit homo non separet" Mark 10:9

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder

You could either abbreviate it to Q.E.D.I.H.N.S. or shorten it to "homo non separet" if necessary."

[quote="Advocatus_Fidei, post:12, topic:204390"]
Why would you get an engraving about a house on something that isn't a house? Seems pretty silly to me.

Nemo Nisi Mors (Nothing but death shall part us) is great and mirrors the wedding vows perfectly.

""I, ___ take you, ___ for my wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part."

[/quote]

Nemo nisi mors means "no one except death." And calling death a someone makes it sound like you're personifying him as the god of death. Also, there is no verb, so this phrase isn't really a complete thought. "Nihil" is the word that comes to mind for nothing.

Nihil nisi mors nos separabit (Nothing except death will part us.)

Te semper amabo. (I will always love you.)

Nunc scio quid sit amor. (Now I know what love is!)

If you want, I can ask one of my Latin professors to translate anything you want. However, I would double check anything I put on a ring. It's so easy to get things wrong in Latin. That's why we Latin students are all a bit crazy. :p

Thanks for the offer :)

I think my last question got lost in all the posts, for a female speaking to a male, is the version of Totus Tuus, Tota Tua?

I read that in one other thread on here but others have not mentioned it. I took Spanish in high school, so I realize that in many languages there are female and male ways of saying things.

I also have always loved the song Ubi Caritas, but that is kind of long, so I'm not sure about using it.

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Where charity and love are, there God is.

[quote="Advocatus_Fidei, post:12, topic:204390"]

[/quote]

It is an extremely old tradition that when people married, the covenant of marriage established the married couple as a house/household/domus in the community. Traditionally, that did not mean they were constructing a building, but establishing themselves as a family, a household, irregardless of wherever they happened to reside. Likewise "The House of Windsor" or "The House of Stewart" or "The Fall of the House of Usher" or "The House of Grimaldi" do not refer to buildings, but family.

[quote="GorgerCracker, post:14, topic:204390"]
Nemo nisi mors means "no one except death."

[/quote]

I did a double take on that one too...."no one but death" (you're kidding!).... But then I figured that the entire quotation must be just too long to fit on any one ring, and so one spouse probably got the first half: "no one but death" while the other spouse probably got the second half "shall part us" Is that how people do it? Fingers are slender, but quotations can be long.... so do they split them up between the rings?

I believe “tota tua” would be the feminine, but it sounds weird to me for some reason. I like your ubi caritas idea much better.

The problem still remains that they sound like they are talking about the god of death and not just death itself. While Ancient Romans did this all the time, it doesn’t seem terribly Christian to me… Besides, it begs for this translation: “No one but Mr. Death will part us.”

[quote="GorgerCracker, post:18, topic:204390"]

The problem still remains that they sound like they are talking about the god of death and not just death itself. While Ancient Romans did this all the time, it doesn't seem terribly Christian to me... Besides, it begs for this translation: "No one but Mr. Death will part us."

[/quote]

Yes, certainly it wouldn't specifically have to refer to the Roman "god of death".... it could just as easily refer to any one charming personification of death, perhaps the "grim reaper of death" or the "hitchhiker of death" (in Orson Wells' *The Hitchhiker *) or certainly the all-purpose "Mr. Death." *("can we call you Dadoo?"-*Animanaics)
Ha, no, I just can't see people lining up in droves to have that engraved on a wedding band either....

A woman would refer to herself as tua… the adjective pertaining specifically and exclusively to a female person…
but this isn’t words spoken, but words that are worn by somebody… so doesn’t that make it his label, and so he would be wearing a distinctly exclusively feminine identifying label?
If she gave him a t-shirt that said tua, he would be wearing a distinctly and exclusively feminine identifying label…
Is the engraving on the inside or the outside? Maybe if the engraving is on the inside, then maybe it doesn’t count as a label and it’s ok to be exclusively feminine.
Totus Tuus could refer to either gender, and so if it ends up worn as his label, he’s still good to go because it’s not a distinctly and exclusively feminine label.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.