Latin rite in Canada

Recently I was at a Sunday Mass (OF) in Halifax Nova Scotia and noticed that the order of the Mass was different from what I am used to here in the US.

Specifically, there were only 2 readings plus the psalm in the Liturgy of the Word (old testament, psalm, gospel). When we all returned to our seats after communion and before dismissal the epistle was read, followed by a substantial, extemporaneous pastoral prayer offered by the priest (prayers for community concerns, for those with small children, those facing difficult decisions, etc). Then came dismisal and the recessional hymn. I should note that the typical prayers of the faithful were in their accustomed place.

This was an ordinary parish, not a shrine, monastery or other religious house, and the readings corresponded to the lectionary.

Is this movement of the epistle to the end of Mass an accepted variation? I have attended Mass in a few European countries and have never experienced a change to the order of the Mass such as this, and was surprised to see it right next door in Canada.

[quote="reagent6, post:1, topic:336743"]
Recently I was at a Sunday Mass (OF) in Halifax Nova Scotia and noticed that the order of the Mass was different from what I am used to here in the US.

Specifically, there were only 2 readings plus the psalm in the Liturgy of the Word (old testament, psalm, gospel). When we all returned to our seats after communion and before dismissal the epistle was read, followed by a substantial, extemporaneous pastoral prayer offered by the priest (prayers for community concerns, for those with small children, those facing difficult decisions, etc). Then came dismisal and the recessional hymn. I should note that the typical prayers of the faithful were in their accustomed place.

This was an ordinary parish, not a shrine, monastery or other religious house, and the readings corresponded to the lectionary.

Is this movement of the epistle to the end of Mass an accepted variation? I have attended Mass in a few European countries and have never experienced a change to the order of the Mass such as this, and was surprised to see it right next door in Canada.

[/quote]

Hmm, there is no difference in the Mass between Canada and the US. The arrangement in that parish was certainly different from the usual Sunday Mass. Couldn't tell you why. It certainly wasn't that way at the Cathedral when I was there a few months ago.

I looked briefly in the GIRM and didn't see anything allowing what you describe, but I may have missed something.

Not to be nitpicky about the title, but I think you mean "Roman rite in Canada" (or Latin Church in Canada). I thought this was going to be about the Traditional Latin Mass :o

As a Canadian I've never come across the above situation - the order of the mass should always be the same as in the US (or elsewhere). That being said, you will find that certain practices vary between different Canadian dioceses. For example, in some Canadian dioceses, the faithful kneel during only the consecration - in others, the faithful kneel during the entire Eucharistic Prayer and again after the Agnus Dei as in the US.

[quote="twf, post:4, topic:336743"]
As a Canadian I've never come across the above situation - the order of the mass should always be the same as in the US (or elsewhere). That being said, you will find that certain practices vary between different Canadian dioceses. For example, in some Canadian dioceses, the faithful kneel during only the consecration - in others, the faithful kneel during the entire Eucharistic Prayer and again after the Agnus Dei as in the US.

[/quote]

But the differences you note are in compliance with the provisions of the GIRM. In Canada the GIRM calls for kneeling only from the Epiclesis to the beginning of the Mystery of Faith, while noting that is it a good thing to maintain the practice of kneeling for the entire EP and/or after the Agnus Dei until Communion in parishes where it has traditionally been done.

[quote="Phemie, post:5, topic:336743"]
But the differences you note are in compliance with the provisions of the GIRM. In Canada the GIRM calls for kneeling only from the Epiclesis to the beginning of the Mystery of Faith, while noting that is it a good thing to maintain the practice of kneeling for the entire EP and/or after the Agnus Dei until Communion in parishes where it has traditionally been done.

[/quote]

True, but all in all I think there are fewer set universal norms in Canada. There is more variance between the dioceses - or even parishes. In my home archdiocese (Vancouver), several pastors require (well strongly encourage) all the faithful to receive kneeling at the altar rail (English ordinary form), with the archbishop's full support. At the cathedral everyone has always had both options (though kneeling is more popular from what I've seen)... Though the vast majority of parishes still receive standing

Thank you all for your replies and I apologize for the confusing title of my post.

For what its worth, at the Mass I was commenting on we did stand during the Eucharistic prayer knealing only briefly at the consecration.

[quote="reagent6, post:7, topic:336743"]
Thank you all for your replies and I apologize for the confusing title of my post.

For what its worth, at the Mass I was commenting on we did stand during the Eucharistic prayer kneeling only briefly at the consecration.

[/quote]

That's the only thing required by the Canadian GIRM, but there are still parishes that don't even do that minimum, mine being one. Why? I don't know, but I usually kneel at the time indicated by the GIRM.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.