Latin rite only?

can ANY catholic be chosen as pope or only a latin rite catholic? to my understanding the pope has 3 offices:
sucessor of peter
patriarch of the west
bishop of the Rome dioces.

would the 2nd and third nessessarilly disqualify a person to be pope?

also are there cardinals from other rites? or only latin rite?
do the other rites have their own patriachs (i assume its those men in the crowns and wool collar things), and how are they selected?

There is a long thread on this subject already, probably on page 2 or 3, you can search it and find your answer, which is “yes”.

[quote=Brain]can ANY catholic be chosen as pope or only a latin rite catholic? to my understanding the pope has 3 offices:
sucessor of peter
patriarch of the west

do the other rites have their own patriachs (i assume its those men in the crowns and wool collar things), and how are they selected?
[/quote]

Any Catholic male can be chosen. I could be a pope if the electors decided that I was the best choice for office. I am a Maronite by birth and I am a lay Catholic in my early 20’s. So, I am up for election.:smiley:

[quote=Brain]can ANY catholic be chosen as pope or only a latin rite catholic? to my understanding the pope has 3 offices:
sucessor of peter
patriarch of the west

[/quote]

There are 6 patriarchs I believe and there are I think 9 Cardinals of the eastern rites.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.