Latin...

Does anybody here know any good books or other learning material, for learning latin? I’ve been studying the language for about 9 months, and I was wondering what helped some of you learn it.

If I do say so myself, I and some others make some good recommendations on these threads:

[thread=98155]Friends Don’t Let Friends Study Latin Alone![/thread]

[thread=97593]Best textbook or tapes for learning Latin?[/thread]

Also helpful was this advice from an old teacher: “Get yourself a vulgate and read the Gospel of John – You already know the story, and John repeats himself an awful lot, giving you 2 or 3 chances to figure out what he’s saying.” :stuck_out_tongue:

tee

A year or so ago I came across a great website that had Latin lessons starting with elementary and going to intermediate. Sorry I lost the URL, but I’ll bet with some searching you can find it.

Also helpful was this advice from an old teacher: “Get yourself a vulgate and read the Gospel of John – You already know the story, and John repeats himself an awful lot, giving you 2 or 3 chances to figure out what he’s saying.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a Vulgate… hardest book to read… ever! Jerome was apparently quite inteligent.

Salve amice,
I got my Latin, such as it is, on line from Judith Meyer.
Her tutorial site is at:
learnlangs.com/latin
This is Classical Latin, not Church Latin, but apart from orthography, and purported pronunciation, there is little difference.
The course is very cheap, free if you do not require tutorial feedback, and the tutorial interface is very friendly.
Vale,

I have, in the process of translating the CF Gospel, set out a two column Latin/English Gospel set, broken up by phrases of corresponding meanings.
The Latin source was though, not the Clementine Latin, but that of the Stettgart school.
The orthography is more classical, and thare are minor textual differences.
For what it is worth, you can find it here:
btinternet.com/~daveat168/Gospels/B43C001.htm
Using the index, you can navigate to the other three Gospels.
Matthew has now been convered to Clementine, and I am working on converting the rest, but this will take some time as it is seconday to the translation process of theCF Gospel.
Mark is ready for updating, and will be done next.

IMHO, your best bet is to find a real course with a good Latin teacher who you can interact with. What I’ve learned from my Latin professor goes above and beyond what any textbook can give you(history of latin, lingusitic developments, Roman poetry, correcting the textbook). It also ensures that you are disciplined, because if you aren’t, your marks just might suffer :o.

If anything most Latin teachers have a passion for this language that no textbook can replace. Having a teacher who genuinely cares for the preservation and spread of the language helps a lot in terms of encouragement and help - they want you to learn Latin :slight_smile: and they will make sure that you do.

HI-
I’ve got a website with tons of resources (reference and textbooks, links, files) for learning latin. I hope it helps you on your Latin journey. (link below)

MAX

I found “Let’s Read Latin An Introduction to the Language of the Church” by Ralph McInerny as a good intro. It builds on prayer and scripture as the starting point for learning. Personally, I wasnt looking for anything more than language built around the Mass anyway. It also includes a cassette (I wonder if the increased interest in Latin has meant a CD version???).

Go get the Rosetta Stone software

www.rosettastone.com

Nothing makes learning other languages, even Latin easier. You will be amazed at how relatively easy it is with this.

Try This

Many, many self-teach, self-learn with materials from
www.MemoriaPress.com Start with the kids’s books. They aren’t childlike – just for “beginners” of any age. Many, many adults learn from
Prima Latina
Latina Christiana 1 + 2
and then Henle First year, second year, etc.
:thumbsup:

Nothing beats a real teacher, however it is possible to learn a language on your own.

Here are excellent resources:
[LIST]
*] Simplicissimus, an excellent, free, online Latin course from the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales
*] Lewis & Short’s A Latin Dictionary, the famous Latin dictionary accessible for free online
*] Perseus Word Study Tool, a morphological analysis of inflected Latin words
[/LIST]It is great you want to learn Latin. Read what the Baltimore Catechism says about Latin:

Q. 566. Why does the Church use the Latin language instead of the national language of its children?
A. The Church uses the Latin language instead of the national language of its children:[LIST=1]
*]To avoid the danger of changing any part of its teaching in using different languages;
*]That all its rulers may be perfectly united and understood in their communications;
*]To show that the Church is not an institute of any particular nation, but the guide of all nations.
[/LIST]

Dear Friends,
Perhaps this should be a new thread, but this is my position now…

Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration of the Codex Fuldensis, with comments in Latin can be read here, and downloaded free of charge as a pdf:
books.google.com/books?pg=PR6&id=4hgWAAAAYAAJ#PPP1,M1
and my work in OCRing, and printing to pdf in the original format can be found here:
btinternet.com/~daveat168/Ranke.pdf
My intent is to translate the whole work into English, and help would be appreciated in translating the non-scriptural parts of the text, for which I have no translation key. Particularly Ranke’s technical introduction, and what looks like a poem towards the end.
There is also a great wadge of tables after this poem which is in small print, and difficult to read, including some Greek text. I may, with some regret, omit this, unless someone better than me can provide considerable assistance.
Progress report:
101 pages out of 620 completed so far……
What has become quite clear is that Cod. Sang 56 is not a copy of the Codex Fuldensis. They are both copied from an earlier recension, which might have been from St Victor’s hand.
I believe St Boniface to have employed a nunnery close to Crediton as a document factory. I deduce this from this excerpt from Aloysius Roche’s “In the Track of the Gospel”.
You can find the relevant pages here.
I am tempted to conclude that the copy of the scriptures mentioned is none other than the Codex Fuldensis, of which I have here Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration. Yes. I am here conflating the providers of tha alter cloth, etc. with the nunnery at Wimborne in Dorset, but would Boniface do other than choose for his teachers, the educated nuns who had provided such a fine copy of St Victor’s New Testament?

I am going to need the serious assistance of skilled Latinists for this project.
I will be happy to share the credit for this work with anyone who contributes effort.

Discussion of this project will be very welcome.

Wheelock’s Latin

Henle’s Latin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.