Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52

Daily News:

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52

[LEFT]The actual size of the toy gun Patrick Timoney brought to PS 52.An irate Staten Island mom blasted a grade school principal Wednesday for treating her son like a pint-sized Plaxico Burress after he brought a 2-inch-long toy gun to school.

[LEFT]Patrick Timoney, 9, was terrified when he was yanked into the principal’s office to discuss the teeny-weeny plastic “weapon.”

“The gun was so little,” the boy said. "I don’t understand why the principal got so upset. I was a little nervous. They made me sign a statement."
Patrick and a friend were playing with Lego figures in the school cafeteria on Tuesday when he pulled out the faux machine gun and stuck it in the hands of his plastic police officer.
[LEFT]
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/04/alg_plastic_gun.jpg
[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

You can quit homeschooling now, it’s safe to send your kids to PS 52!

I don't understand how anyone rises to the position of principal with so little common sense. :nope:

If he'd only used a condom instead he'd probably have been given some kind of award.

This is so ridiculous. Every little boy has one of these. IT fits lego men and gi joe men. How can anyone think that this was real?

It's another case of "the system worked." You see, the principle followed the rules down to the letter so in her mind she did a good job. It seems like many of the people in charge of schools, businesses, government, etc. rate themselves on how well they enforce the rules instead of seeing if the rules achieve an intended goal.

Take this case for example. The rule of "no guns" is to reduce gun violence in schools. I'm all in favor of this rule. But punishing a kid for bringing a two-inch, plastic gun does not actually achieve the goal of reducing gun violence. It is just enforcing a rule for enforcement's sake.

As a side note, another kid's lego figure was wielding a two-inch ax. If we are going to mindlessly enforce the rules, why wasn't the ax kid also punished?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.