Law and Morality

How close ought law conform to morality?

To what extent ought teachings of the Church I accept for myself personally inform what policies I’m in favour of in the wider political domain?

Plainly there always has to be a considerable gap between law (which is about societal peace, is it not?) and morality. One can hardly legislate love, after all.

A related question I ask myself: Do I really need to have an opinion on everything? Can’t I humbly retreat to a position of having no opinion? Particularly on moral issues that I don’t wrestle with myself? It’s all too easy to be judgemental on matters one oneself is invulnerable to temptation.

C S Lewis, iirc, chose not to voice an opinion on contraception when being a celibate layman.

Don’t we live in an overly opinionated age?

Someone said: We lack vocations to the priesthood. (Or that of ordinary believers.) Not to the papacy.

I am trying to avoid getting too involved in hot button issues relating to the Church. I try to apply “less debate, more prayer” to my life. I don’t wish to judge the Church. It should judge/challenge/nourish me.

But I digress. How do you relate morality to your political convictions? What do you make of retreating to a position of having no position on certain matters?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.