Law and Order Cancelled...finally

Great news for those, like me, who lament the passing of the TV crime/mystery show. I've had to look across the pond for genunine mystery/crime shows in the past two decades. Hopefully the clones will follow.
Flame away. :D

Do you have a link to a story telling it's been canceled?

This has not been officially confirmed yet, but here is a story from the rumor mill.

Here's another story from TV Guide:

Is 'Law & Order' Done?

It doesn't appear to be definite. It's still just a rumor at this point.

I for one, (might be in the minority in this group) would be very sad to see Law & Order go. I watch every one of the and enjoy.

I wonder if the lawyer shows are beginning to run their course. Next up: all those silly medical soap operas/dramas.

Good point. It does seem that TV shows go through “phases”. Not too long ago, it seemed that all scripted shows were being replaced by reality shows. Now, there are still some reality shows, but they’re not really making any new ones the way they were before.

This article confirms the cancellation. But, in Hollywood, who really knows for sure?

"NBC cancels ‘Law & Order’ flagship
May 13, 2010, 6:28 PM EST

Seminal Dick Wolf procedural will end its run with the upcoming finale of its 20th season

NBC will not renew the original “Law & Order” at the upcoming conclusion of its 20th season, leaving it tied with “Gunsmoke” as the longest-running scripted show in television history.

The cancellation was confirmed Thursday to TheWrap by a person close to the show’s production. Its final episode will air May 24. "…

Entire article here: tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=499467&gt1=28103

So still no official word, although it seems likely at this point. I think NBC unveils it’s Fall schedule on Monday, so we’ll probably hear the official verdict then.

I for one am not sorry if the show Law and Order SVU is being cancelled. I find more than a few episodes in which the main charaters seem to support abortion, gay rights/marriage at the same time condemning Catholicism and christianity on the whole. The stars actually have been depicted in these episodes as being very angry and violent to the religious and the religious are usually depicted as being apathetic to those who have been violated or guilty of violating someone.

As for the medical soaps or series I have the same opinion except they usually have alot more episodes trying to depict abortion and euthanasia as necessary practices. Grey’s anatomy and private practice are two that I see from time to time as well. I watch these shows purely for education as to what the prevailing angle is that popular media is putting on these issues. Statistically it is staggering how many shows promote and glorify a pro-death and godless lifestyle in their scripts. We need to pray people.

[quote="kinja, post:10, topic:198379"]
I for one am not sorry if the show Law and Order SVU is being cancelled.

[/quote]

SVU has already been renewed for next season. This news is about the original L&O.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:11, topic:198379"]
SVU has already been renewed for next season. This news is about the original L&O.

[/quote]

OK thanks for the correction.

...leaving it tied with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running scripted show in television history.

Now that's one genre that is definitely dead.

Good point. It does seem that TV shows go through "phases". Not too long ago, it seemed that all scripted shows were being replaced by reality shows. Now, there are still some reality shows, but they're not really making any new ones the way they were before.

A couple weeks ago, someone on NPR was commenting that song and dance shows used to be huge back in the first half of the 20th century. The genre died for a long time until revived by American Idol and Dancing with the Stars.

Personally, I'm rooting for the death of reality TV. My gf used to make me watch Opera's reality TV show (The Big Give) and that one home makeover show (along with a few other mawkish reality shows) until I canceled my cable service. :D

You must have really have been smitten…:smiley:

[quote="kinja, post:10, topic:198379"]
I for one am not sorry if the show Law and Order SVU is being cancelled. I find more than a few episodes in which the main charaters seem to support abortion, gay rights/marriage at the same time condemning Catholicism and christianity on the whole. The stars actually have been depicted in these episodes as being very angry and violent to the religious and the religious are usually depicted as being apathetic to those who have been violated or guilty of violating someone.

[/quote]

Both the original (the one being given last rites) and SVU pretty much preach the same political propaganda. Dick Wolf's shows ceased being crime shows a long time ago and just became arenas for Wolf's personal world view.

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:198379"]
Great news for those, like me, who lament the passing of the TV crime/mystery show. I've had to look across the pond for genunine mystery/crime shows in the past two decades. Hopefully the clones will follow.
Flame away. :D

[/quote]

No big loss. They wore out their welcome several years ago. :blush:

NBC confirmed, Friday afternoon, that Law & Order is being canceled.

On the other hand, a new Law & Order spinoff is set to debut. This time, in Los Angeles.

nytimes.com/2010/05/15/arts/television/15law.html

Viewership has been declining for years, and the majority of viewers remaining are older than the target market of most advertisers.
voices.washingtonpost.com/tvblog/2010/05/to-put-down-or-not-put-down-la.html

Even with scripted shows I can't stand the way they are written thesedays. There seems to be no logical flow to them, and they seem to be trying to get too real. If they think Ill watch some new fangled scripted show because I'm in the socalled generation x, they are loonytunes! And yes I still watch those too. When it comes to the midaged and younger America is a nation of thrill seekers. When I relaxing to TV in the evening the last thing I want is a thrill.

NOOOO! :crying:

They really had to end it eh? Too bad, I really like the Law and Order shows. The newer crime dramas are all terrible (there’s no crime, it’s just drama. They’re just soap operas for people that can’t follow real soap operas. It’s like the “new” House, not enough medicine and too much drama). Castle is ok, but I can’t watch The Mentalist without wanting to kill the main character (he’s got House’s demeanor without the charm so he just comes off as a total idiot).

I guess I’ll have to make due with Criminal Minds, Flashpoint, reruns of the better days of CSI, and of course the multiple reruns per day of Law and Order. Man does tv ever suck now.

Here’s an article from former L&O star Michael Moriarty back in December.
bighollywood.breitbart.com/mmoriarty/2009/12/14/the-increasingly-red-law-and-order/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.