Lawmakers Consider an Animal Abuse Registry

NY Times:

Lawmakers Consider an Animal Abuse Registry

SAN FRANCISCO — California may soon place animal abusers on the same level as sex offenders by listing them in an online registry, complete with their home addresses and places of employment.

The proposal, made in a bill introduced Friday by the State  Senate’s majority leader, Dean Florez, would be the first of its kind in  the country and is just the latest law geared toward animal rights in a  state that has recently given new protections to chickens, pigs and  cattle. 

Under Mr. Florez’s bill, any person convicted of a felony involving animal cruelty would have to register with the police and provide a range of personal information and a current photograph. That information would be posted online, along with information on the person’s offense.

I'd hate to be on that list with PETA fanatics Googling to see who they can harass.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:187941"]
NY Times:

I'd hate to be on that list with PETA fanatics Googling to see who they can harass.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or the Animal Liberation Front ALF ] a group on the FBI's Domestic terrorist List

Thing is, to get an animal cruelty felony, one basically has to be torturing animals to death, or torturing LOTS of animals.

I think all violent felons should have a period on such lists following release.

I also feel that such lists probably should only carry an individual for 10 years. (Almost all habitual sex offenders will reoffend within that duration.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.