Laws in the Old Testament

Why did God hand down so many laws and customs to the Israelites? Why don’t we have to follow these customs today.

Laws such as:

Leviticus 19:19 ““You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed; nor shall there come upon you a garment of cloth made of two kinds of stuff.”

Basically God is telling us to not wear clothing thats blended. Ex. Cotton and Polyester blend.

In today’s world this makes no sense.

Another example:

Leviticus 19:26 “You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it.”

I am just trying to understand why God gave his people these laws and why they are not supposed to be followed today.

God was forming the Jews as a people distinct from the Pagans around them. That’s the point of some of the various rules as far as I know. Others of them have moral dimensions too.

The Isrealites were God’s chosen people at the time of the Old Testament. He was preparing them to accept the Jesus as there Savior. These laws are not practiced today because when Jesus arrived the New Covenent was established.

I also think these commands are highly symbolic and have deep spiritual meaning. They are telling us we have to be single minded and focus our attention on God alone.

Wearing only one kind of material and not sowing 2 different seeds in your field: ‘You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.’ ‘You cannot serve both God and money’.

In Acts, the apostles, after praying, told the gentiles there were only a few laws they really had to follow: see acts 21:21-25. I like my steak very rare…hmmm… maybe that’s not right…don’t know. But we are not bound by all those laws. But we are bound by the Spirit behind those laws, which Jesus said came down to 2 precepts: to love the Lord your God with your whole heart and your neighbour as yourself.

Is the word “stuff” in the Bible???

See: Why We Are Not Bound by Everything in the Old Law from apologist Jim Blackburn. :o

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.