Lawsuit: Dude ranch owner asked chef for 'black people food'

sfgate.com/news/article/Lawsuit-Dude-ranch-owner-asked-chef-for-black-10830306.php

All of the times I’ve eaten fried chicken, I never knew Colonel Sanders was black.

Sounds like this case is DOA.

I would hope so, but I doubt it.

Is everybody sleeping right through third grade, that no-one understands anymore that feeling offended is part of life???

ICXC NIKA

Wasn’t “soul food” comsidered a distinctive part of African-American culture? If the woman had asked for “soul food,” would this even have happened? So the suit is about terminology?

Absolutely amazing. I shouldn’t be surprised, i guess I’m not.

The plaintiff’s lawyer said this … to the judge!

But Williams told the judge last week the comments must be viewed in the context of racial stereotypes.

I’ll bet that everything this lawyer hears is viewed in the context of racial stereotypes.The judge refused to get down into the gutter by not hearing this case, but didn’t throw it out.

What is stopping the plaintiff from thinking he won’t be sued for slander?

Probably so since this case seems to be motivated by a collection of statements and not that one statement in isolation. The headline for the article could be more descriptive. Written as it is now at first glance one might think the case was only because of a single statement.

It must not take a whole lot of smart to be a former trophy wife. Doesn’t this woman know that fried chicken, ribs and cornbread are “Southern white people food” too?

There’s not a whole lot of difference between Southern white people food and “soul food”. But I guess this woman doesn’t know.

That’s what I was thinking. She described Southern food, not “black people food”, though as pointed out, soul food is a category that is used.

Sounds like a stupid law suit prompted more by the depth of the pocket than the depth of racism.

That may be true but does that mean that causing offense should be part of life? I believe we should do what we can to not offend others.

We used to call that having good manners. That has fallen by the wayside. Some people always seem to find something to be offended about.

Exactly.What about Mexican,Chinese,etc is it politically incorrect to use these terms as well?:rolleyes:

Do you call it Mexican people food? Or Italian people food?

The lawsuit alleges that there was a hostile work environment in general and the term “black people food” was an example.

They have until the 13th of January to refile.

Since Mexico is a country and you are talking about food from that country, no, it is not politically incorrect. If you want food that is made like they have in Ethiopia, you ask for Ethiopian food, El Salvador, you ask for El Salvadorian food. Or food might have a regional name, for example, Louisiana is often associated with Cajun style food.

Of course, for a while, it was politically incorrect in some circles to use “French”, thereby giving us “Freedom Fries” :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This woman may very well be an inarticulate clod.Does everything warrant a lawsuit? We are such a litigious society and thin skinned as a result.I suppose any of us can find a reason to be offended on any given day if we are always on the lookout.

Not everything warrants a lawsuit, obviously. But the lawsuit is for hostile work environment, the phrase was an example of it. Another example was that this cook was told to fire two other African American workers because they didn’t have the look to fit in the country club. They have until January 13 to file.

Let’s see if the case has any merits.

ok

But would the term “black food” be capable of only one meaning? My wife is of Alsatian ancestry, and she has told me of her mother’s “all white meals”, (which might not be exclusively Alsatian, but seemed so to me, given the elements of it) and she didn’t mean all the guests were white or that only white people ate those things. All the food in the meal was literally white. So, “black food” could be…??? :eek: Czarnina and black bread maybe?

Now, the woman in question is probably not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Possibly she doesn’t know the term “soul food”. If she doesn’t, but knew there is such a thing as cuisine that’s more or less typically eaten by blacks, how was she supposed to ask for it?

I think there are plenty of white people who don’t “have the look” to fit into a country club setting too. Think of being served by a white guy with a gut out to here, snaggle-toothed, ham-handed with dirty fingernails, and thin, yellowish hair plastered down with precious bodily fluids.

:eek:gross!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.