Lawsuit over Washington D.C protests

23:00 GMT - Rights groups sue Trump over clearing of peaceful protesters

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) sued the administration of US President Donald Trump, alleging that officials violated the civil rights of protesters who were forcefully removed from a park near the White House by police using chemical agents before Trump walked to a nearby church to take a photo.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court, comes as Attorney General William Barr defended the decision to forcefully remove the peaceful protesters, saying it was necessary to protect officers and federal property.

The suit argues that Trump, Barr and other officials “unlawfully conspired to violate” the protesters’ rights when clearing Lafayette Park on Monday. Law enforcement officers aggressively forced the protesters back, firing smoke bombs and pepper balls into the crowd to disperse them from the park.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the group Black Lives Matter DC and individual protesters who were present. It is filed by the ACLU of DC, Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and the law firm of Arnold & Porter.

3 Likes

The two events may not have been related per the news coming out. It may not even have been cleared out to make way for Trump.

“I think it was entirely appropriate for him to do. I did not know that he was going to do that until later in the day after our plans were well underway to move the perimeter.”

So, now there is the possibility that the two events, “church walk” and “clearing of protesters” are totally unrelated.

Glad this issue was raised early

Which two events because what is put forward as a sequence scenario

is not what the lawsuit is stating.

readers should discern carefully media spin either intentionally, or not, to cause more unrest.

Early news reports are stating the lawsuit is for violating the peaceful protestors rights by unlawfully clearing them from a park .
Early reports do not state the reason linked is for the photo op, or any reason given for why their protest was cleared.
We shall have to wait until more details come forward.
I cannot imagine this will be argued on a premise that could be easily dismissed with
‘the two events are not linked’, unless there is solid documentation to support an action / reason scenario.

Media will spin it though.

Across the nation peaceful protestors are being subject to this. One guy, an ex military man was sitting on the ground with his hands up during a peaceful protest when police arrived. He was still shot .

1 Like

There is also a request for an investigation by the Australian prime minister .

3 Likes

The White House press secretary tried to compare the photo op with Churchill in WWII going into bombed buildings. There are photos doing the rounds on international media of Trump walking back across the road to the White House past graffiti covered buildings full of the 'f ’ word and more. International media , replacing the official type sanitised photos with raw and more confronting photos , along with social media doing the same , is really changing the narrative.

2 Likes

I can really think of just one thing, “:roll_eyes:“.

2 Likes

Then there is the video of the police pushing that old man over . The old man was walking over to the police. He was protesting. peacefully.

Its a tough situation, we are human and sometimes have to make snap judgement under extreme pressure and a spoonful of fear in confrontation potential.

1 Like

It seems, as Trump said, the US has become the laughing stock of the entire world…although it has come not because of the action of governors, but the actions of the President himself.

I saw the video. And the blood pooling around the elderly man’s head. And the police officers walking by, not helping and not calling for medical help.

What is this?

My goodness. What is this? Lack of training, lack of compassion, lack of empathy?

1 Like

Someone sent that to me this morning. That was hard to watch. That 75-year old man didn’t do anything that justified being shoved. The elderly can be fragile. Why would someone not treat this man with care?

The police department initially put out a statement saying that there was only one injury of a man that “tripped and fell.” Since that statement two police have been suspended without pay.

3 Likes

That spindly 75-year-old must’ve really terrified those two heavily armored and armed cops. What paragons of courage to confront him (sarcasm off).

2 Likes

I’ve lived in London’s East End for much of my life, it was bombed flat in WW2 with thousands of deaths. When I saw this comparison I found it beyond ridiculous.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.