Lawyers Support Gay Marriage

It was reported today that the American Bar Association has urged all of the states to legalize gay marriage.

All across the country, lawyers and judges are supporting gay marriage, establishing a strong trend.

These changes in marriage law may be unstoppable. The same thing is happening around the world.

How will gay civil marriage affect the church, families, and society? What will be the consequences of allowing this novel form of marriage?

Pray for a cure for homosexuality. Let's cure this at its root and make it socially unacceptable to remain homosexual. Let's uncover the disorder for what it is.

I believe it is not far-fetched to hope and pray for a cure. There are drugs in a new area of medical practice that are being developed to "cure" people with obsessive compulsive problems and with post-traumatic stress disorders. The researcher said this area is like a new mountain range to be explored. I believe the cure for homosexuality may be closer than we think, perhaps right over one of those "mountains."

[quote="Crumpy, post:2, topic:208596"]
Pray for a cure for homosexuality. Let's cure this at its root and make it socially unacceptable to remain homosexual. Let's uncover the disorder for what it is.

I believe it is not far-fetched to hope and pray for a cure. There are drugs in a new area of medical practice that are being developed to "cure" people with obsessive compulsive problems and with post-traumatic stress disorders. The researcher said this area is like a new mountain range to be explored. I believe the cure for homosexuality may be closer than we think, perhaps right over one of those "mountains."

[/quote]

Wow....just wow.:eek: I think the vast majority of homosexuals would say they don't need to be "cured" of anything.

So would the vast majority of all deviants. Polygamists, brother/sister relationships, you name it. Don’t judge.

Honestly, though I agree with the Church's teaching on homosexuality, I cannot see the logical progression of gay marriage ruining society. Then again, if this were the 60s I probably wouldn't see the logical progression of how birth control would affect society either, and I would be very wrong.

The biggest problem I can see in how this will affect Christian marriage and families lies in how to teach our children to act lovingly and charitably towards children of gay parents while maintaining our stance that it is sinful and unnatural. How do you teach young children to hate the sin and love the sinner? Or the sinner's children?

What happens when your second grader comes home from school one day and wants to go to Suzie's house to play, but you are not wild about the idea of your young, impressionable child being exposed to the relationship between Suzie's two mommies? Do you tell her she may not go, thereby punishing both your child and her friend for the friend's parents' lifestyle? Or do you allow her to go and then try to explain to her that while we love Suzie and we pray for her and her family every night, her mommies are doing something very wrong and we don't approve?

Good luck trying to explain that well to a 7 year-old. That's really my primary concern about the legalization of gay marriage.

Of course lawyers support gay marriage. It’s a whole new are of law! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not to mention the $$$$ to be made by divorce attorneys.

Back when I was young and foolish, I thought gay marriage to be a ridiculous idea.

Now that I am no longer young, it still holds no personal appeal to me. As a straight man, I have no dog in that fight.

It appears that gay marriage is gaining traction, both in the courts, and in public opinion.

Given the condition of heterosexual marriage today, I naturally wonder if the gays would be able to make it any worse.

I do wonder, though. In gay marroages, how do they determine which one will be the groom.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:3, topic:208596"]
Wow....just wow.:eek: I think the vast majority of homosexuals would say they don't need to be "cured" of anything.

[/quote]

**"Wow....just wow.:eek: I think the vast majority of sinners sat they don't need to be "cured" of anything.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark**

[quote="Catholic1954, post:6, topic:208596"]
Of course lawyers support gay marriage. It's a whole new are of law! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/quote]

DING, DING, DING, DING!!!!! BINGO!!!!!

I believe you've hit the nail on the head in one swift stroke!

If the history of the United States and Western Civilization has taught us nothing else, it has at least taught us $$$$$$$ and GREED drive the legal systems and lawyers!

[quote="Magickman, post:1, topic:208596"]
It was reported today that the American Bar Association has urged all of the states to legalize gay marriage.

All across the country, lawyers and judges are supporting gay marriage, establishing a strong trend.

These changes in marriage law may be unstoppable. The same thing is happening around the world.

How will gay civil marriage affect the church, families, and society? What will be the consequences of allowing this novel form of marriage?

[/quote]

No, most of us don't necessarily support gay marriage. Lawyers reflect most of the rest of the country actually. Most of us don't even do domestic law and we stay as far away from it as we can. This is a very difficult and stresful area of the law. We do, however, have to come up with practical solutions, since it is a reality.

As for the ABA, most lawyers aren't even members. It doesn't represent most lawyers.

Some of us would like to find a solution.

For one solution (maybe), go to: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=483359
;)

I still believe the answer is for Government to get out of the marriage business all together.

What do we teach? A person can be civilly or even divorced but it's not a marriage or an annulment (yes I understand it's not the same as a divorce) unless the Church blesses or approves it.

I think if 2 people want to share property rights then so be it but don't call it marriage. I know a number of homosexuals who would be perfectly fine with this as well. Those who it does matter to attend protestant churches who approve of same sex unions.

So let the Gov take care of the Civil part and let the Church take care of real Marriage.

Yes the are flaws to this theory (feel free to point them out) but in a free democracy it seems like the best option IMHO at this time.

Joe

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.