Lay Dominican Formation Question - Need Input Please

I am hoping someone with some knowledge about Catholic lay groups such as the Franciscans, etc. might help answering some questions.

I am very interested in learning more about the lay Dominicans. Any information will be helpful! I am in a place without a current chapter so this would be a "ground floor" up experience.

What can you tell me about the Dominicans in general?

I am most concerned about what ever group I am a part of is authentically Catholic. I have heard varying opinions regarding some groups and try to stay away from them.

Any information about Catholic secular Third Orders will be helpful. Please share experiences with other groups as well as that will provide some insight.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Till then, more praying...

I’m not really familiar with Lay Dominicans, I could tell you about Lay Franciscans though.

But you could try this address, and maybe do a search to see if they have an email:

St. Martin de Porres Lay Dominican Community, 3050 Gap Knob Road, New Hope, KY 40052

there are several orders in michigan of lay dominicans. one is the adrian dominicans and another is the oxford dominicans.dominicans in general are very service oriented and education oriented. if you do a search of either order, you’ll find good info. i grew up with dominicans and also plan to enter the third order program once my kids are past toddler-hood. the program is quite fulfilling and wonderful, but does take you away from home periodically for weekend classes and retreats. i have two friends who went through the oxford program and loved it. best of luck to you! twk

You might send a e-mail to Father Serpa here at Catholic Answers. He is a Dominican, and I am sure that he would be able to answer your questions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.