Lay Secular Vocation Update

Hi everyone!

I wanted to thank you for your support and encouragement over the summer as I was exploring pursuing a lay vocation. I prayed that God would send information my way, but I forgot to tell him to send it slowly. I've been flooded. I've been in contact with some Lay Camillians, Lay Marianists, and Lay Dominicans. Given my career as a physician and bioethicist as well as my scholarly interest in mariology, making a decision is going to be most difficult. I have gotten some information from other groups as well that I am not as familiar with at the moment. I've read about the secular servites, and now, I've gotten some literature on the Dames of Malta, the Legion of Mary, and several ecumenical groups (ecumenical franciscans, ecumenical knights and dames of malta, etc.). Lastly, someone was promoting becoming a Benedictine oblate just the other day. I'm confused to say the least. Am I allowed to join an ecumenical group? What is the Dames of Matla or Legion of Mary? People have also said that I should just be in more than one, which I didn't even think was possible. Any insight you all could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

[quote="bioethics1985, post:1, topic:213887"]
Hi everyone!

I wanted to thank you for your support and encouragement over the summer as I was exploring pursuing a lay vocation. I prayed that God would send information my way, but I forgot to tell him to send it slowly. I've been flooded. I've been in contact with some Lay Camillians, Lay Marianists, and Lay Dominicans. Given my career as a physician and bioethicist as well as my scholarly interest in mariology, making a decision is going to be most difficult. I have gotten some information from other groups as well that I am not as familiar with at the moment. I've read about the secular servites, and now, I've gotten some literature on the Dames of Malta, the Legion of Mary, and several ecumenical groups (ecumenical franciscans, ecumenical knights and dames of malta, etc.). Lastly, someone was promoting becoming a Benedictine oblate just the other day. I'm confused to say the least. Am I allowed to join an ecumenical group? What is the Dames of Matla or Legion of Mary? People have also said that I should just be in more than one, which I didn't even think was possible. Any insight you all could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

[/quote]

The only people I know who are Knights and Dames of Malta are very wealthy and give lots and lots of money to the church. They also bring sick people to Lourdes. The Legion of Mary is usually parish based and they say certain daily prayers and visit the sick.

[quote="bioethics1985, post:1, topic:213887"]
Hi everyone!

Thank you for your help!

[/quote]

In addition to belonging to lay orders you can at the same time join things like the Militia of the Immaculata (founded by Max Kolbe) consecration.com/Default.aspx
You simply pray and concecrate yourself (certain obligations). They send you a membership certificate and you become part of a large family.

There is also the World Apostolate of Fatima (used to be known as the Blue Army) it is a worldwide Public Association of the Faithful.wafusa.org/

The above two you can belong to along with a lay order.

I'm exploring secular vocations as well.

I have figured out that there are tons of different forms that lay associations can take and they're all different.

As I'm sure you see explained on the Forums all the time, Secular Franciscans are every bit as Franciscan as the Order of Friars Minor or Poor Clares. That's one end of the spectrum.

On the other end, a lot of orders/congregations have developed "associates" within the last few decades, that don't have any formal canonical status at all.

There are tons of points in between. I'm a reasonably smart cookie and am quickly reduced to :eek:. :confused:

So, what I am trying to do is look for congregations where I'm attracted to THIS GROUP. Their spirituality "clicks" somehow. (So, for instance, Carmelite spirituality is too Marian to quite "click" with me, so being a Secular Carmelite is out.) Their apostolate seems like something I could be involved with, in some aspect.

And then I get into "what would being a part of THIS association mean for my life?" And get into the canonical status, etc., that way.

But I don't start by trying to understand all the various different forms of canonical status. That way madness lies. At least for me.

Check out the Benedictine Oblates. Very prayerful (Liturgy of the Hours) and devoted to our blessed Mother.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.