Layoffs, Feeling Guilty, What does God want?

I am currently in a long distance relationship. I started a new job in January, and because of the timing, we (BF and I) thought it would be best to wait until I had completed at least a year at the new job before trying to find yet another new job where he lives (we have already decided that I will be the one to move, which makes the most sense). The job had great new hours, a pay raise, but I don't get along with my boss, the work is entry level, and I really never had much to do.

About a month ago the company announced layoffs and I have been mentally preparing for a layoff ever since. It just made sense for them to lay me off because I was the newest worker and I wasn't fully occupied at the job. I don't want to sound flippant or unconcerned about a very real scenario that I know many people are struggling with. But I really thought it was kind of God's way to push me out the door and jump start me to look for a new job in my BF's city that much sooner.

So today they had the layoffs and I kept my job. My poor coworker was let go, though. And now I'm feeling guilty. Mostly because he lost his job when I know full well I plan to quit in less than a year.

But I'm also wondering, is this supposed to be some kind of sign from God? I'm starting to grow weary of the LDR thing, and I really wanted to date in the same city - I don't want to wait until January now. I can't tell if God is trying to tell me something, or if he is just testing my patience. (Or God could not be specifically involved, but still...) I'm really just about ready to look for a new job anyway, but I don't want to push it having just survived the layoff, and there are other reasons I wanted to wait a little longer.

My personal opinion. I think you are lucky you survived the lay off and should be grateful for that. If you are feelling unsatisfied with your job, you can look around with out having to have to quit your current job. I would pray for guidance there.

As for your boyfriend, I would NOT move to his town. Until he marries you he owes you nothing so don't jeopardize your financial security for him

CM

[quote="cmscms, post:2, topic:203182"]
My personal opinion. I think you are lucky you survived the lay off and should be grateful for that. If you are feelling unsatisfied with your job, you can look around with out having to have to quit your current job. I would pray for guidance there.

As for your boyfriend, I would NOT move to his town. Until he marries you he owes you nothing so don't jeopardize your financial security for him

CM

[/quote]

Exactly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.